April 2014 Moms
Options

Mini Pill-yay or nay

Hubs is getting the big snip next week. It takes 12 weeks before the urologist clears you for sterility. Ever since I had my first BCP have made me feel ill. Plus I'm nervous about it tanking my supply. Do I suck it up for the 3 months and give it a shot?

Opinions. What are your experiences with the mini pill?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Mini Pill-yay or nay

• Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    I've been taking the mini pill for maybe six weeks, and EBF, and my supply is great. I'm getting Mirena next week because I just don't think that I can take the pill exactly at the same time every day. But so far it's been fine, no side effects. It's not like the other pills you were on before because it's only progesterone.
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    snappyKsnappyK member
    I hate the mini pill. We're going with condoms. I just don't want to mess with my hormones at all right now.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been on the mini pill for a little over a week- my only side effect is bleeding. I'm not sure if it's my period, from sex or what- calling my doc about it.

The only reason I'm not sure if it's my P is because I haven't had really painful cramps (with Ddthe cramps were so bad I couldn't walk and I hear it gets worse with subsequent pregnancies)

• Options
    I took the mini pill between my two pregnancies. Did not like it. Gave me nausea and affected my milk supply. I'm going to try Mirena this time around.
  • Options
    I took it for a year after DD was born and didn't notice any ill effects, my supply was totally fine. My only complaint was that even 6 months after I came off of it my cycle was still totally out of whack... it really did a number on my hormones! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I've been on it for a week and a half and haven't had any issues...
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Been on it for 7 weeks and no complaints!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Was on Cerazatte for two years pre baby and had no problems with it. Also no periods in that time which was a bonus! Just started taking it again now.
  • Options
    ksulliksulli member
    I'm on it and my only 'problem' was 2 days of spotting a week into it. Same with dd1. I do fine in the regular pill too though. I'll get mirena in a few months because I'm not quite ready for DH to get the V (we thought we were, that's why I started the mini pill)
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    I'm on it and have been for 4 weeks. My only complaint is remembering that I need to take it.
  • Options
    I took it for about a week recently and stopped bc it made my hormones completely out of whack!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I should just google but what is the mini pill???
  • Options
    ksulliksulli member
    Brigie029 said:

Progesterone only birth control. It's less effective than the regular pill which also contains estrogen (89% vs 99%), but when used with full time BFing is pretty good, especially if taken at the same time each day (if you miss it by more than 3hrs you need to use backup).

*Married 10.10.08*
  • Options
    ksulli said:

Brigie029 said:

Progesterone only birth control. It's less effective than the regular pill which also contains estrogen (89% vs 99%), but when used with full time BFing is pretty good, especially if taken at the same time each day (if you miss it by more than 3hrs you need to use backup).

------------------

I was under the impression that although it is less effective, the difference is far less than what you've said? All the literature in the UK seems to suggest that if taken correctly the mini pill is about 97-98% effective vs the combination pill which is about 99%. I'm not sure it would be half as popular if it was only 89% effective!
    https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/the-pill-progestogen-only.aspx
  • Options
    ksulliksulli member
    ^^^ I think the 89% is without BFing. My OB was vey clear that when I nurse less than 6x a day I need to go back to the combo pill.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • Options
    ksulli said:

^^^ I think the 89% is without BFing. My OB was vey clear that when I nurse less than 6x a day I need to go back to the combo pill.

Don't know how accurate this article is but it seems to suggest that here in Europe we have access to a much more effective mini pill that hasn't been approved yet in the US. That might explain why my mini pill (Cerazette) is roughly 98% effective and can be taken up to 12 hours late without affecting the effectiveness of the drug whereas most US users seem to have a pill which is 89-95% effective and they have to take their mini pills at the same time every day without fail.

• Options
    It made me have insomnia!
  • Options
    J&NLJ&NL member
    I've been on it for a week and I haven't noticed a difference in my supply. 
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • Options
    I took it after my first and it definitely affected my milk supply. I would take it only if you don't have any other options.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"