November 2013 Moms

Unpopular. Opinions.

2»

Re: Unpopular. Opinions.

• Loading the player...
  • I've only posted 1 pic of my baby on the Internet and that was here on my birth announcment thread. I actually think I might have gone back and taken it off. I haven't put anything on FB and as if right now I have no plans to put her image out there.

• The FB thing got me thinking of this. I'm probably a total buzzkill, but I find it lame when women rush to change their names on things like FB or other nonessential places when they get married. I have no problem with them changing their last name (I changed mine) or quickly handling it for things like bank accounts and other official issues. But why the rush to change it on social media? I really liked my maiden name and it was a part of my identity. Originally my plan was to use it professionally, but at my work I have to have my legal name on everything. So I never bothered to change my FB name. I know it kind of bugs my husband , but I don't care. I like having my maiden name around in some context...and it helps with some anonymity.

On FB you can still have your maiden name show up. It is in parentheses by your married name. I have my maiden name as my middle name on FB. I kept my exhusbands last name for a variety of reasons, but it does kinda bother Tim a bit.

• I've only posted 1 pic of my baby on the Internet and that was here on my birth announcment thread. I actually think I might have gone back and taken it off. I haven't put anything on FB and as if right now I have no plans to put her image out there.
    I'm just curious here...any reason why?

#LOLFITMAMA
  • @BrittAnnie19
    They were a fun bunch. Don't miss the job at all, but I do miss the people.

BTW, I've been meaning to tell you that I really want to steal your "introverts unite" badge. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SV917SV917 member
    This is probably a good one: I think women changing their names after marriage is a sexist tradition and I wish it would end. Flame away!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • babymama619babymama619 member
    edited May 2014
    I just think I wouldn't want my baby pictures on the Internet for anyone to access so why put DDs up. I am also weary of the ownership rights of photographs once they are placed online, especially on social media. I think being conscious of your digital footprint/presence is incredibly important and I want to model discerning behavior. We also have a very unique past name so it's very easy to find us online.

• The FB thing got me thinking of this. I'm probably a total buzzkill, but I find it lame when women rush to change their names on things like FB or other nonessential places when they get married. I have no problem with them changing their last name (I changed mine) or quickly handling it for things like bank accounts and other official issues. But why the rush to change it on social media? I really liked my maiden name and it was a part of my identity. Originally my plan was to use it professionally, but at my work I have to have my legal name on everything. So I never bothered to change my FB name. I know it kind of bugs my husband , but I don't care. I like having my maiden name around in some context...and it helps with some anonymity.
    I changed my LN on FB before we officially got married because I 1. hate my last name and 2. have no emotional attachment to it whatsoever. 
    BLAD reppin'

• kimmycup said:
    This may or may not be unpopular, but I can't stand when men or women subscribe to the "women don't poop" ideology. I'm sure most of the time people are just kidding when they say that. But why is it "so disgusting" that women poop and fart? Sure, "keep some mystery in your marriage" and by all means do your business in the privacy of the bathroom but let's all stop acting like it's the grossest thing in the world if a woman accidentally lets one rip. Also...when I have a good poop? I just want to let people know too, damnit. Men can do it, why not women?! My college roommate and I used to high five over having one of those awesome "I just lost 5lbs" poops.

Clearly, I'm gross. But I can't be the only one who feels this way.
    You're not. I even take it farther and if I've had a really big poo or one that is shaped interestingly, I'll call DH in to see it (or take a pic). Oh, did I go to far? ;) 
    When I was still working fulltime in an office/cubicle environment we had an office joke about that. If someone took a huge dump (usually one of the guys of course), this picture would get emailed out:

We even had a Team Ring Pudding in our office Olympics.
    haha nice.

• Transitions lenses creep the shit out of me. Mostly because they transition at inappropriate times! You could be the cutest person in the world until you put on a pair of those things. Plus I hate how it gets the song "Sunglasses At Night" stuck in my head!

1. I wear them. Screw you. I am the cutest person and they always transition nicely.

2. I LOVE THAT SONG!

I want a picture of proof in all your Transitions lenses glory! One where you just walked in from outside, perhaps even a movie while "Sunglasses At Night" plays in the background?

• babymama619babymama619 member
    edited May 2014
    I just think I wouldn't want my baby pictures on the Internet for anyone to access so why put DDs up. I am also weary of the ownership rights of photographs once they are placed online, especially on social media. I think being conscious of your digital footprint/presence is incredibly important and I want to model discerning behavior. We also have a very unique past name so it's very easy to find us online.
    I guess I just don't have this same concern. Social media isn't going to go away, and I believe ownership rights of personal photographs will be (if they aren't already, not sure) protected eventually. Plus I'm kinda Lion King about her.... Look I made this :)
    Me too! My son is gorgeous! I show him off constantly! If I could afford it I would buy the bill board on the highway and put his picture up there saying "just look at how freakin cute I am!!!!" Lol.
    Yea, that part is actually pretty hard. I think DD is the most beautiful creature in the whole world and I wish everyone could see every single picture of her. as of right now  this is my understanding of the picture posting situation (this was just copied after a google search of "who own my pics?"

You may be shocked to find out that once you post on these sites, that although you still “own” the photograph, you grant the social media sites a license to use your photograph anyway they see fit for free AND you grant them the right to let others use you picture as well! This means that not only can Twitter, Twitpic and Facebook make money from the photograph or video (otherwise, a copyright violation), but these sites are making commercial gain by licensing these images, which contains thelikeness of the person in the photo or video (otherwise, a violation of their “rights of publicity”).

I actually didn't think to much about it until someone posted on here summer that she didn't put pics online. I think it was the one who was living in India, sorry I forgot the screen name. Has she put pics up? Unlike @mapayne626 I actually think the owners rights will decrease not increase in the future.

I swear, I'm normal other than this oddity. 

• mmm50mmm50 member
    Transition lenses are creepy.  My MIL has them and they're always dark in our house because there is lots of natural light.  

Camo is fine if you are hunting, otherwise, no thanks.  I did have to take 1 pic of DS in camo because DH's family are all big hunters and got him a camo sleeper.  I gagged a little.  

I changed my last name because I was sick of spelling my maiden name or telling people how to pronounce it.  There's actually a funny story about my last name and my first day of law school, but I can't share it without telling people my real name.  

I live near Pittsburgh and instead of y'all lots of people say "y'ins."  I HATE HATE HATE it.  I don't understand what it is short for or why it is necessary.  Makes my skin crawl.  

Also @DebateThis you will love how cute your LO is in that set.  I bought the set because DS needed a dress shirt for a funeral and it is so cute on him.  I would have taken a thousand pictures if it wasn't so weird to take pics at a funeral.  
  • cagoldicagoldi member

@mmm50‌ y'ins=you 'ins. I liken it to somewhere along the line of "youngins" in my head. I saw a fascinating program once on how different slang is around the country. From yous guise, y'all, you 'ins, etc.

I had to Google it because I've never heard this. Apparently it's you ones. I don't mind y'all. My GG was from OK and used to say it (I consider OK to be the South, but I gather some southerners don't). Y'ins and yous are awful.
  • SV917SV917 member

SV917 said:

I'm not fully opposed to posting pictures on TB, but have you ever googled your own screen name? If you do a ton of pictures of other people's kids pop up and it's kind of creepy.

Apparently my screen name is also a Saudi Arabian Airlines flight from Riyadh to Frankfurt.  

That is weird that other people's kids come up in the image search. 
    That's funny. (: Out of curiosity I googled your screen name and Google images popped up with a bunch of NOV13 babies I recognize. If you scroll down far enough there was also a really inappropriate baby shower cake that made me laugh.

I saw that. For the record, that was not my shower cake. We had totally decent cupcakes at our shower.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • cagoldicagoldi member
    @Sing2phins‌ I just googled my SN and the only thing that comes up is a post where you asked about my teen crush siggy challenge. Why it's that thread of all things, I don't know.

Then there are a lot of CaGoldie SNs on various websites, but they aren't me.

• Plus, frankly, not everyone's kids are cute. I think mine is, but I'm not going to throw her photo at everyone (especially without adjusting the photo image) and expect everyone to coo at her. Some kids are just fucking ugly, and no amount of lying will make them cute - and no amount of telling their parents they're cute will change that. 

So wrong but so true! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"