Parenting

PR: Low weight kids

After meeting with Reese's doctors yesterday they are preemptively going to refer her to a nutritionist. Reese has lost weight since she was diagnosed especially now that she is off the steroids. Right now she is 3 years old and 26 lbs. She does eat but the chemo has decreased her appetite and most of her favorite foods aren't very high in calories or fat. (Fruit, vegetables, yogurt, oatmeal, chicken, etc) Plus she is active. They are worried because the next few stages of chemo is when there is the most dramatic weight loss. She turns her nose up at pediasure, carnation instant breakfast, etc. She doesn't like any sweet drinks. (Only milk and water)

Any suggestions?
My daughter is my hero.

Re: PR: Low weight kids

• She is also unfortunately allergic to eggs and peanut butter. She likes smoothies but doesn't want anything in it to give it a boost. Not a huge fan of ice cream. She can take it or leave it
    My daughter is my hero.
  • My 4 year old is 31 pounds clothed so I feel you lol  What yogurt does she eat?  I'd make sure it's full fat.  What about full fat cottage cheese?  My kids don't like avocado alone but they like it blended with banana.  How about sunbutter?  Pudding made with whole milk, "healthier" baked goods like zucchini bread or berry carrot muffins?
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • My DS is also a little peanut AND allergic to peanuts.  I have been very generous with the butter on his bread.  Does she like mac and cheese?  I will make him homemade mac and cheese with lots of butter, 1/2 & 1/2, and cheese mixed in.  I second avcocado if she likes it.  Will she dip whips in guacamole?  Hummus calories can add up fast. 

Its hard, because the quickest way to up the calorie intake is sugar, but I try not to go crazy with it because I still want him to be healthy.   I know you said she doesn't like the carnation instant breakfast.  What I do for DS is blend wjole milk with banana and a scoop of sunbutter.  He loves his "shakes" and they pack quite a caloric punch

image image
  • ToastieSimonsToastieSimons member
    edited May 2014
    DS1 is 28 lbs and 4.

We do toast and butter
    When I make scrambled eggs I use whole milk I add full fat cheese and a pat of butter
    I also add a splash of pediasure to all his milk so he gets a full bottle a day.
    We do grilled cheese and I cook it in butter and use whole fat cheese
    Peanut butter sandwiches
    I also like to do mac n cheese or alfredo sauce (heavy cream or half/half with butter parm cheese and basil)

DS1 doesn't really eat much meat so I try to get protein in as much as possible.  He's basically on a higher protein higher fat diet and lower in carbs

You could also discuss adding duocal to her milk/food during the next round of chemo.  It's tasteless powder that adds calories.

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Thanks for the ideas. Right now I think part of the problem is Reese doesn't care for most sweet food. (Milkshakes, ice cream, pudding, chocolate etc) And her food allergies complicate things. She did outgrow her sesame seed allergy but I am still nervous about hummus. The other big is issue is the hospital stays. There menu isn't very allergy friendly AND high in calories/fat. So there is plenty to choose from when we are here but it again is the healthier choices. Lol.
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Spin313Spin313 member
    DD is three and 28-29 pounds.

Do you do chocolate milk...? I'd also suggest pasta with Alfredo sauce.

• Spin313 said:
    DD is three and 28-29 pounds. Do you do chocolate milk...? I'd also suggest pasta with Alfredo sauce.
    Won't drink chocolate milk. I definitely will try alfredo sauce though. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • I would try putting coconut oil in her smoothies. It doesn't change the taste of them too much. She would probably notice it in oatmeal because it makes it oily. Vanilla flavored hemp milk has the same amount of calories as whole milk if she wont drink that.
  • FhSTAR81 said:
    My DD is 28lbs and at her 3 year check up they told me she need to drink pedisure. We didn't end up doing that and just tried getting healthier fatty foods into her.
    DD was 29lbs at 3 years and they didn't even mention her weight. 

OP, it's hard when they don't even want ice cream! I ditto PPs suggestions about whole fat everything and butter and oil on everything. Also, dip with veggies and fruit, cheese...Can she do any nut butters like almond butter? I don't really know what else.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Lurker chiming in :) my kiddo is 26lbs at 3 1/2 but has always been teeny. We do cut up bananas (frozen or not) covered in peanut butter ( for her allergy you could try almond butter or maybe Nutella then rolled in Rice Krispies.... Maybe zucchini bread with high fat ingredients or carrot cake?
    image. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I was younger the doctor's were concerned with my weight. They put me on weight gain powder but I hated it. I ended up going on an oatmeal diet and eating oatmeal with stuff mixed in 3 times a day plus other meals. Obviously, I wouldn't eat all of that because I wasn't hungry but it did manage to keep me from losing weight when I picked up sports. I still have almost no appetite so I think that has always been my problem. It is so hard to eat when you don't feel hungry and nothing sounds good.

I like the idea of an appetite stimulant. I think that would have done wonders for me.

I agree with substituting heavy whip for milk and using lots of butter.

Our Little Raspberry Born 3/27/12
  • We do a lot of avocado. One of the few things that Z will eat regularly is rice and beans, so I add avocado to that, or put it in her smoothies, because she doesn't seem to notice it.
    -------------------------------------
  • EmAreEmAre member
    edited May 2014
    You may want to look into BeneCalorie. Its small, easy to "hide", and loaded with calories.
  • KTdiditKTdidit member
    DS1 will be 4 in a couple weeks and he weighs 31lbs. I can imagine its hard to get her to gain weight if she doesn't like sweet things. I'd definitely do avocado, real butter, heavy cream and cheese whenever possible. DS1 drinks PediaSure mostly to make sure he gets the vitamins, but you mentioned she won't drink it.....maybe popcorn with lots of melted butter on it?
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I think PP have pretty much covered everything I was going to say.  DS2 dropped from the 60% to 3% in the past 6 months (he is 12 months now) and I have to take him in for weight checks frequently.  It's so stressful.  I saw a nutritionist, and pretty much our plan is just sneaking fat into everything.  I put butter or coconut oil on almost all his food.  I also put hummus on his toast, but I know you said you are concerned about allergies with the hummus.  

2 Beautiful Boys 11.7.03 & 4.23.13
  • My middle guy has spent much his life off the weight charts and we were prescribed Enlive. He has always refused milk, cheese, creams, ice cream, yogurt, etc. but he will drink this juice.  You can buy it by the case on Amazon, it is high in calories and protein:

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I feel your pain as well. Coconut oil, olive oil, heavy cream, high fat Greek yogourt and lots of butter. DS used to love crescent rolls with a lot of cheese, a piece of broccoli and a bit of chicken wrapped it (or other stuff too). Not too unhealthy but a good way to get calories in. Good luck!
  • B will be 4 next week and weighs 26 lbs.

We had the best luck with CIB, full fat yogurt and cheese, and cream cheese in/on everything. I used to make these hot pocket things with crescent roll dough and cream cheese and whatever other fillings she would eat (chicken, sausage, cheddar cheese, etc). She loved them.
  • @starearedkid I have no advice, but wanted to share something with you. I was scrolling through this post last night with my 2 y/o on my lap. She saw Reese's picture and said, "Mommy, that baby princess! So pretty!" I thought it was so sweet, and hope it makes you smile today.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You can try MCT Oil https://www.amazon.com/Buried-Treasure-Coconut-Oil-MCT/dp/B008SG9Y4G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1401454165&sr=8-4&keywords=mct+oil

I came across if from 'bullet proof coffee' but it has no taste. I put some in my kids oatmeal and smoothies. I also add chia seeds. My Aunt is currently going through chemo and she was trying to get as much nutrition into the few bites she could eat. I got her coconut water and chia seeds. She mixes them, lets it sit, and then eats a few bites of the gel. There isn't much flavor in that at all, but you could add juice or something else that she likes. My DD oddly likes chia gel.

Otherwise I think everyone has it covered.

DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
  • Poor baby, I wouldnt even know where to start. I have a picky eater, but nothing like what your problem is. He gets his veggies abd fruits from those 100% v8 drinks, I freeze them into popsicles, but as far as chicken and protein like that I'm still sol. Good luck sweetie!
  • @starearedkid I have no advice, but wanted to share something with you. I was scrolling through this post last night with my 2 y/o on my lap. She saw Reese's picture and said, "Mommy, that baby princess! So pretty!" I thought it was so sweet, and hope it makes you smile today.
    How sweet! That definitely made me smile :) 
    My daughter is my hero.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"