October 2013 Moms

UO

2»

Re: UO

• carawasa said:

First and last names that rhyme are silly, and I question why someone would purposely do that

haters gonna hate michelle tanner gif

this is ironic coming from you bc i have always thought your name was Cara Wasa (i am sure it is not but in my head it has always been that)

also #loveherfirstnamecanthelpourlastone #wewillmarryheroffoneday #evenstillloveherFULLname

Lol yea it's not my full last name. I cannot make out your 1st #! My SIL first name is Julie and her last name has the same ending and then she named her daughter Sophia and her last name ends in "ia" so I guess that's what I mean!

• Loading the player...
  • kimbo1216 said:
    The best weddings have food, alcohol, and good music. Sorry but it's fact. Guests don't remember the decorations. They remember if they had a good time. Decorations with no food/music:alcohol means guests go home early. Heck, you're lucky if they stay for cake. :P I say this from experience. I worked in a wedding venue for 3 years. I've seen every kind of wedding from small and intimate to huge with all the "fixins". But I maintain that the best ones were on Saturday nights and had food and alcohol. People didn't worth about going to work the next day. And they weren't too tired from working that day (ie Friday weddings). And yes. I love weddings. When it comes down to it, have the wedding that is right for you and not anyone else

____

We didn't spend anything extra on decorations for our wedding. Some simple stuff came with the venue (tablecloths, fancy chair covers, linen, tulle, lights, etc) but that was it. We got lucky with flowers because another couple got married in our reception room earlier in the day. The groom's parents from that wedding own the largest floral wholesaler in our state, so they went all out on flowers. They had different ones from the ceremony and the reception so they left all the ceremony flowers for us. The Marriott just set them up for us when they switched the room over and our guests thought we went crazy on flowers, win, win for us! We spent money on kegs and wine, an awesome DJ and had the venue put out a nacho bar around 9:30 for guests to snack on. Our dance floor was packed all night and the hotel had to kick guests out at midnight. People still talk about our wedding 3 years later. 

TL;DR - We may have spent a pretty penny on our wedding but I don't regret it for one second. It's what we wanted and we had a blast.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• ksimo6ksimo6 member
    KuhaBaby said:

I hate it when brides have multiple showers and expect their bridesmaids AND friends to attend ALL of them.

When I had my family shower I didn't invite any friends... And I didn't invite any family to my friends shower. I just think it's ridiculous to make someone attend 2 or 3 showers, bachelorette party, and wedding, and get gifts for all. Sorry, I will RSVP no, I'm not giving up all my summer weekends to kiss your ass :)

@KuhaBaby‌ This. Yes. So annoying. I tell my husband all the time that I hate being accompany because I get invited to all if this bullshit. I didn't even want showers for my wedding or baby. I would have been fine without. I hate them. And I hate games. Apparently I'm angry about this today!
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• My dad worked with a guy named Richard... His last name was head. Of course he went by the standard nickname for Richard - Dick. :)
  • KuhaBaby said:
    I just heard about someone (not on this board, don't worry) this past weekend who was doing multiple stupid things with her poor baby because she'd "done her research" and she just came off like a goddamn idiot.
    Oh man, a girl on my FB put a picture of her newborn in a crib with bumper pads, a blanket, stuffed animals and her almost 2 year old sleeping. Someone tried called her out how unsafe it was.... And she defended it, especially the bumper pads saying, "research shows that there is an increased rate of babies with broken limbs from getting it stuck in the crib." --- oh, because a broken arm is 1,000 times worse that suffocation. Smart!
    Unfortunately, I have a stupid, reckless parenting story too that is still bothering me a week after dh's cousin told me. This cousin has a 6 week old and just drove 5 hours (one way) to Seattle (so over mountain passes and on a 70mph freeway) for a trip. I asked how a 5hr car ride with a newborn went and she said "Great! She hates her carseat, so I just set up the portable crib in the back of SUV and she slept pretty much the whole way!" .....ummmm, WTF?! I was so flabbergasted at this blatant disregard for life, that all I could manage was "Wow, that sounds really unsafe". I'm still ashamed by my lame answer...and embarrassed I couldn't catch my words to say more.
  • Jalee85Jalee85 member
    edited May 2014

Lee81 said:

I have always believed that the 7 days of the creation of the earth is way longer than one would think. So dinosaurs being on the earth was part of this period.

Can I put some words in your mouth to see if I understand what you believe? It sounds to me like you're on board with evolution as explained by archeologists, it's just that you believe God was directing things and making them happen. The Bible's creation story is not to be taken word for word. The "days" symbolize a much longer time period.

Does that sound right? I've always been kind of curious how creations explain the evidence of evolution, but something like that would make sense to me.
    This is actually what I believe. The matter that initiated the Big Bang was God created (fundamental scientific law says you can't create something out of nothing, so something supernatural had to create the first piece of matter that then was subject to natural scientific laws). So, God initiated, but then stepped out and let the natural laws govern evolution from the moment of initiation forward.

But God inspired early humans to write about the creation (I believe the Bible is God-inspired, but written through human thoughts, limited by human experience). So, if God is trying to explain the scientific theory of evolution to people who still think the earth is flat and haven't even dreamed of what dinosaurs look like, etc. don't you think the "seven days" concept is a pretty good metaphor for what scientists really believe occurred (but just over a much, much longer period?). I mean, He couldn't just start out talking about string theory and sub-atomic particles hurtling through outer space. That would have melted their minds back then...
    If I would have been taught this ideology. I may not have become a non-practicing Catholic. We were told that dinosaurs and humans existed at the same time. I was like 7yrs old and said no we didn't. I got sent to the priests office. He told me that when you question God you go to Hell. He told me to go home and read the bible. Next year I picked a fight about Adam and Eve breaking Gods rules by committing incest. I was told the same thing again. I stopped going to CCD after that. The ignorance just blew my 8 year old mind. Now I hear that God said incest was okay back then, but no one ever told me that.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Jalee85 said:
    I have always believed that the 7 days of the creation of the earth is way longer than one would think. So dinosaurs being on the earth was part of this period.
    Can I put some words in your mouth to see if I understand what you believe? It sounds to me like you're on board with evolution as explained by archeologists, it's just that you believe God was directing things and making them happen. The Bible's creation story is not to be taken word for word. The "days" symbolize a much longer time period. Does that sound right? I've always been kind of curious how creations explain the evidence of evolution, but something like that would make sense to me.
    This is actually what I believe. The matter that initiated the Big Bang was God created (fundamental scientific law says you can't create something out of nothing, so something supernatural had to create the first piece of matter that then was subject to natural scientific laws). So, God initiated, but then stepped out and let the natural laws govern evolution from the moment of initiation forward. But God inspired early humans to write about the creation (I believe the Bible is God-inspired, but written through human thoughts, limited by human experience). So, if God is trying to explain the scientific theory of evolution to people who still think the earth is flat and haven't even dreamed of what dinosaurs look like, etc. don't you think the "seven days" concept is a pretty good metaphor for what scientists really believe occurred (but just over a much, much longer period?). I mean, He couldn't just start out talking about string theory and sub-atomic particles hurtling through outer space. That would have melted their minds back then...
    If I would have been taught this ideology. I may not have become a non-practicing Catholic. We were told that dinosaurs and humans existed at the same time. I was like 7yrs old and said no we didn't. I got sent to the priests office. He told me that when you question God you go to Hell. He told me to go home and read the bible. Next year I picked a fight about Adam and Eve breaking Gods rules by committing incest. I was told the same thing again. I stopped going to CCD after that. The ignorance just blew my 8 year old mind. Now I hear that God said incest was okay back then, but no one ever told me that.
    As much as I was told the Catholic Church is very consistent in everything it does, readings are all the same no matter what church you go to for example, it always amazes me that each priest has a completely different view of how things "happened."  

I was in RCIA very recently though, so maybe things have changed since you were a child.  But our 60+ year old priest told us he didn't believe the world was made in 7 days.  And he never mentioned dinosaurs, but maybe I should ask him.  

image image
    LO then (2 days) and now (1 year)
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SHAWNACPA said:
    I just heard about someone (not on this board, don't worry) this past weekend who was doing multiple stupid things with her poor baby because she'd "done her research" and she just came off like a goddamn idiot.
    Unfortunately, I have a stupid, reckless parenting story too that is still bothering me a week after dh's cousin told me. This cousin has a 6 week old and just drove 5 hours (one way) to Seattle (so over mountain passes and on a 70mph freeway) for a trip. I asked how a 5hr car ride with a newborn went and she said "Great! She hates her carseat, so I just set up the portable crib in the back of SUV and she slept pretty much the whole way!" .....ummmm, WTF?! I was so flabbergasted at this blatant disregard for life, that all I could manage was "Wow, that sounds really unsafe". I'm still ashamed by my lame answer...and embarrassed I couldn't catch my words to say more.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

My mouth dropped when I read this. How can people be SO DAMN STUPID? I bet you were in shock!!

Yeah!!! Mouth=wide open in disgust. I'm very happy and relieved her baby, you know, made it back alive, but seriously?!?!?! The other very ironic part of the story is this is the same cousin who went off on me about how dangerous it is when she found out we had began bedsharing at 4 months....needless to say, babies will be a topic of conversation we avoid from now on. I can't handle hearing stories like that.
  • I'm not sure if mine is a UO or FFFC but it's kind of mean and I can't say it because of a lurky loo! Boo!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    photo ae9d6512-aa3f-4ee3-9605-e9c1b685f0eb_zps385c8147.jpg
  • Jalee85Jalee85 member
    edited May 2014
    As much as I was told the Catholic Church is very consistent in everything it does, readings are all the same no matter what church you go to for example, it always amazes me that each priest has a completely different view of how things "happened."  

I was in RCIA very recently though, so maybe things have changed since you were a child.  But our 60+ year old priest told us he didn't believe the world was made in 7 days.  And he never mentioned dinosaurs, but maybe I should ask him.  

!!!!!!brokenquotes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was the one that brought up dinosaurs. We were just discussing the creation story. I wanted to be a paleontologist when I grew up. They discussed how God created earth, water, land, trees, bugs, animals, then humans. I asked where the dinosaurs fitted in. My CCD teacher obviously wasn't expecting my question. So she said oh he created them too. I said something like Dinosaurs lived long before humans. She said something like no they all lived together.

I actually found a priest I liked a few years ago. He was going to marry us. Then he up and left. He was willing to explain anything and everything to me. The new priest I'm not very fond of.

I also have issues with

1. Ghosts don't exist only Angels and Demons

2. That animals don't have a soul. They only respond to painful stimuli and this is what "fools" people into thinking they have souls.
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Lee81Lee81 member
    edited May 2014

Jalee85 said:

Lee81 said:

Can I put some words in your mouth to see if I understand what you believe? It sounds to me like you're on board with evolution as explained by archeologists, it's just that you believe God was directing things and making them happen. The Bible's creation story is not to be taken word for word. The "days" symbolize a much longer time period.

Does that sound right? I've always been kind of curious how creations explain the evidence of evolution, but something like that would make sense to me.
    This is actually what I believe. The matter that initiated the Big Bang was God created (fundamental scientific law says you can't create something out of nothing, so something supernatural had to create the first piece of matter that then was subject to natural scientific laws). So, God initiated, but then stepped out and let the natural laws govern evolution from the moment of initiation forward.

But God inspired early humans to write about the creation (I believe the Bible is God-inspired, but written through human thoughts, limited by human experience). So, if God is trying to explain the scientific theory of evolution to people who still think the earth is flat and haven't even dreamed of what dinosaurs look like, etc. don't you think the "seven days" concept is a pretty good metaphor for what scientists really believe occurred (but just over a much, much longer period?). I mean, He couldn't just start out talking about string theory and sub-atomic particles hurtling through outer space. That would have melted their minds back then...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yeah, your Catholic experience is really going to vary based on who you're talking to. I went to five different Catholic schools from K through 12. What I heard from one priest, nun, or lay teacher was not necessarily the same thing I heard from another no matter what their age, even within the same school.

• jennlinjennlin member
    I had a big wedding, loved it, and did not go into debt for it.
    KuhaBaby said:
    Oh man, a girl on my FB put a picture of her newborn in a crib with bumper pads, a blanket, stuffed animals and her almost 2 year old sleeping. Someone tried called her out how unsafe it was.... And she defended it, especially the bumper pads saying, "research shows that there is an increased rate of babies with broken limbs from getting it stuck in the crib." --- oh, because a broken arm is 1,000 times worse that suffocation. Smart!
      hello @vbdigger14 ! are you from seattle area? do you know which pass she took? if she was driving to seattle from the mountain pass, i hope she took i-90 (not that it makes it better), but hwy 2 is one of the deadliest hwy's in the country. that's why there's the sign that says "X many days w/o an accident". i don't think i've ever seen that thing say more than 14 days.

• KuhaBaby said:

I'm not sure if mine is a UO or FFFC but it's kind of mean and I can't say it because of a lurky loo! Boo!

My UO is I hate it when people write that they have something to share... And then don't share it.

@afolske106 you should send it to one of us in a pm for you and we can post it for you...no one will know

Done! ;)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    photo ae9d6512-aa3f-4ee3-9605-e9c1b685f0eb_zps385c8147.jpg
  • It really bothers me when people are told by their doctor that their actions could possibly cause xyz to happen and they ignore their doctor. Then when xyz does happen they want to sit around whine about it and expect people to feel sorry them.

For example: When your doctor tells you that your baby is 3 weeks behind in size and that you need to eat more, and you repeatedly ignore his advice. Do not call me and cry that you may have to be induced a month early. I hope their baby is perfectly healthy ( I wouldn't wish anything bad on a baby), but it is their fault. They were too worried about their appearance instead of the health of their baby.

Yeah, that's messed up.
  • CatieGCatieG member

I don't want my big hairy dogs on my furniture. Not my bed, not my couch... nope nope nope. Everything I own and eat is covered in hair already, I need a couple spots that are dog free. They have their own beds and (gasp) crates, they don't need to nap on my temperpedic.

I may feel differently if I had small dogs but I don't.

Early FFFC: my house is not a doggy paradise.

I could've written this word for word...except I have two small dogs and still don't want them on my couch or bed :D Luckily they are dachshunds and shouldn't be jumping up on anything anyway so that's how we trained them. Phew!

• jennlin said:
    I had a big wedding, loved it, and did not go into debt for it.
    KuhaBaby said:
      hello @vbdigger14 ! are you from seattle area? do you know which pass she took? if she was driving to seattle from the mountain pass, i hope she took i-90 (not that it makes it better), but hwy 2 is one of the deadliest hwy's in the country. that's why there's the sign that says "X many days w/o an accident". i don't think i've ever seen that thing say more than 14 days.
    I'm in Spokane and I would guess they probably took I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass, but I didn't ask. Highway 2 is really dangerous and I don't know many people that take that route just because its scenic and two lanes and usually takes a tad longer. Not to mention the danger factor. The whole situation just blows my mind. 
  • Lee81Lee81 member
    CatieG said:

I don't want my big hairy dogs on my furniture. Not my bed, not my couch... nope nope nope. Everything I own and eat is covered in hair already, I need a couple spots that are dog free. They have their own beds and (gasp) crates, they don't need to nap on my temperpedic.

I may feel differently if I had small dogs but I don't.

Early FFFC: my house is not a doggy paradise.

I could've written this word for word...except I have two small dogs and still don't want them on my couch or bed :D Luckily they are dachshunds and shouldn't be jumping up on anything anyway so that's how we trained them. Phew!
    This may be more of a ffthc than uo but I get upset with my dogs when they *don't* get up on the bed or the sofa and snuggle with me.
  • I went to college with Jack Harder. Hecwas running for student body president or vice president and his name was plastered everywhere.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • vargasgurlvargasgurl member
    edited May 2014
    I hate when brides plaster every single picture of their wedding on their FB page !

< image
  • Lee81 said:
    I don't want my big hairy dogs on my furniture. Not my bed, not my couch... nope nope nope. Everything I own and eat is covered in hair already, I need a couple spots that are dog free. They have their own beds and (gasp) crates, they don't need to nap on my temperpedic. I may feel differently if I had small dogs but I don't. Early FFFC: my house is not a doggy paradise.
    This may be more of a ffthc than uo but I get upset with my dogs when they *don't* get up on the bed or the sofa and snuggle with me.

Me too!! I have 3 big ol hairy mutts and I love when they're on the bed with me!
  • GearUpGearUp member
    Well, I am late to the party, but it is still Thursday here!
    I don't really have anything great this week, but, a recent debate sparked this one.
    I am (pretty much) prolife AND (pretty much) pro death penalty.
    The irony is not lost on me.
    Oh, also, I am on team God set everything in motion.
    Big weddings can go either way - classy or trashy. What I hate about weddings is the constant wedding planning/pinning that is occuring on social media. Especially if you are engaged for two plus years and have a weekly ticker that counts down the days until the wedding. Pinning.everything that is remotely wedding related and sharing it with everyone. Too much damn wedding. It is one day, let it be special and all that jazz, but damn! That is a lot of build up!
    DD born on 12/2/2008
    DS born on 09/18/2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"