Breastfeeding
Options

Question with weaning

My LO is only 10 weeks so I don't plan weaning anytime soon but when it does need to happen, how do you go about it? I am planning to wean at 6 months at the earliest (we will see). I have seen "baby led weaning". What is that? TIA :)

Re: Question with weaning

• Options
    AlikiAliki member
    As per American Academy of Pediatrics:
    "reaffirms its recommendation of exclusive breastfeeding for about the first six months of a baby's life, followed by breastfeeding in combination with the introduction of complementary foods until at least 12 months of age, and continuation of breastfeeding for as long as mutually desired by mother and baby."

This means if you choose to wean your LO off breastmilk at 6 months, you will have to replace that with formula as the primary form of nutrition until they are 1 year old. Before 1 year, introduction of solids is "for fun" so to speak, and not for nutrition.

As PPs said, "baby led weaning" is something separate and not related to ending a BF relationship.

With my first DD, when she was 1 year old, I did the "don't offer, don't refuse" method. I stopped putting her on my lap and exposing my breast to her (i.e. not offering), but if she asked for milk by signing for it in ASL, I never said no (i.e. dont refuse). The child thus chooses to not continue nursing on her own time.
    TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"