Breastfeeding

Feeding Help Please!!!

I desperately need your guidance ladies w/ two issues.  My little man is 4 weeks old and I have been EBF since the beginning (with the exception of 4oz of supplements the first week).   I feed every 3 hours.

1.  This past week I have been having major latch issues.  He goes on my breast with an open mouth and just bobs his head back and forth- he refuses to latch.  I express my nipple to get the milk flowing and this does not help.  He becomes hysterical on my breasts and starts to cry, kicking his legs, etc.  I am able to calm him down and eventually he will latch and get the milk flowing, but it takes upwards of 10 minutes.  Is this a slow let down issue? What can I do to make this better for the both of us?

2.  LO started crying inconsolably around 3:00p today (he was due for his next feeding at 4:00p) so I put him on my breast and after working to get a latch for 10+ minutes he finally got himself calm and started to feed.  He fed almost nonstop for 3.5 hours (I changed his diaper two times and burped him every 10 minutes or so.)  My breasts are so sore and raw feeling, and he continues to want more feeding time.  Is this normal feeding behavior?  Perhaps his 4 week growth spurt?  

I desperately want BF to work and am determined to make it to the 6 month mark.  Any advice, guidance, thoughts on how to improve our situation would be wonderful.

TIA
Me, 41; DH 38; TTC since July 2012, 1st round of Clomid, BFP on 10/19, what an incredible blessing!  M/c on 7w3d; D&C on 11/30; 4th round of Clomid 100mg = BFP on 04/19!!! M/c #2 at 7w; D&C on 5/30, then repeat D&C on 7/1.  Saline u/s on 8/2, uterus looks great!  Will start TTC in 09/13 w/ Clomid 100mg. Surprise natural BFP on 8/25!!! Beta #1=95, #2=182, #3=404!  EDD 5/4/13...Grow baby grow!

Re: Feeding Help Please!!!

• ejb23ejb23 member
    edited May 2014
    Hang in there mama. I don't have any advice about his latch but the cluster feeding is totally normal for his age. It will eventually stop but it's normal for now! I wouldn't worry as much about every certain amount of hours, just keep feeding on demand. Also keep some nipple cream on hand for after those cluster feeding times! You are doing great!

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hang in there! It gets easier. I would also try every 1.5 - 2 hours only between feeding.

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP. My baby is 2 weeks old, and I never let him go over two hours without eating. I don't usually have to wake him up to eat, he wakes me up every 1.5-2 hours but the few times I have, he doesn't not eat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AlikiAliki member
    2.  LO started crying inconsolably around 3:00p today (he was due for his next feeding at 4:00p) so I put him on my breast and after working to get a latch for 10+ minutes he finally got himself calm and started to feed.  
    Crying is a late cue of hunger for breastfeeding babies. When LO starts to open his mouth and stick his tongue in and out, or moving his head from left to right, put him on the boob. By the time he's crying inconsolably, that makes it much harder to get a latch. 

Why did you say "due for his feeding at 4:00 p.m."? How do you know that's when he's hungry?

Try and feed your LO based on his hunger cues, and not based on the clock. At his age, like other PPs have said, nurse every 1.5 - 2.0 hours. This will save your BF relationship.

See this image:
    TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thank you ladies for all of your helpful replies and support.

@Aliki, I said he was due for his next feeding at 4:00p, b/c I had been feeding him every 3 hours and he last feeding was at 1:00p.  When he starts to cry without any hunger cues, I always put him to my breast.  My pedi and LC advised me to feed him every 3 hours and more often as I see his hunger cues.  When I posted this yesterday, I had him in the mamaroo and he was sleeping peacefully after his 1:00p feeding.  Then at 3:00p, he woke up and started crying.  I must have missed hunger cues, but have been good at identifying them up until this point.  Today, I have been feeding him more frequently as suggested here and did wonderful most of the day w/ no latch issues.  But a few hours ago he started refusing my breast, and has been doing the head bobbing w/ wide open, crying inconsolably (I put him to my breast when I saw hunger cues.)  

I am dismayed by this since we were doing so good all day.  I still don't know what to make of his refusal to latch, even after DH or I get him calm and consoled.  

I appreciate your and everyone's support.
    Me, 41; DH 38; TTC since July 2012, 1st round of Clomid, BFP on 10/19, what an incredible blessing!  M/c on 7w3d; D&C on 11/30; 4th round of Clomid 100mg = BFP on 04/19!!! M/c #2 at 7w; D&C on 5/30, then repeat D&C on 7/1.  Saline u/s on 8/2, uterus looks great!  Will start TTC in 09/13 w/ Clomid 100mg. Surprise natural BFP on 8/25!!! Beta #1=95, #2=182, #3=404!  EDD 5/4/13...Grow baby grow!

• AlikiAliki member
    @hydrangeagirl  Ah that make sense. When my LO sleep while I'm babywearing her, she does the same thing-- just wakes unexpectedly and starts crying like I pinched her! :( 

It sounds like he's doing it during the "witching hour", is that correct? The "witching hour" can last from 4 - 8 PM and it's frequently described by mothers as a baby who is inconsolable or seemingly very hungry. Does it always happen in the evening?
    TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @Aliki, thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, his latch issue has continued most of the day and into the evening (although it did improve somewhat from yesterday) with me feeding him every 2 hours or so, or whenever I saw hunger cues. I tried the laid back nursing style suggested by @casey78 and he seemed to be comfortable and enjoy that position.  Crying and head bobbing continued as well :( 

We have our one month pedi appt tomorrow so hopefully he can identify the source of LO's discomfort.  My DH thinks gas pain is the cause for his crying and latch issues.  I am at a loss.   I just want to be successful with BF and hope this issue resolves itself soon.

• edited May 2014
    If it's gas pains order a Happi Tummi wrap. It was a lifesaver with both my girls.

Another thought - could you be eating or drinking something that is bothering your lo? With DD#2 I couldn't drink caffeine. If I did she would cry for hours.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"