Breastfeeding
Options

2 weeks 5 days old - constantly hungry or suckling for comfort?

FTM here, obviously ....

How can you tell if a very young baby (when do they stop counting as a newborn? ) is really still hungry even after having nursed a long time (30+ minutes; sometimes more) or when it is very soon (like 20 minutes) after she was just nursing? Or am I just being a human pacifier and it might be time to introduce a plastic pacifier? Pediatrician and midwife both said her latch and feeding look good so they don't think we need to wait until 4 weeks to give her a pacifier but we are still hesitant - she is a fairly thin baby and had jaundice (though not bad enough to need phototherapy - just a lot of blood tests to monitor) and at 13 days had not quite regained birth weight though was close (2.5 ounces less) so we've been suposed to try to get her to eat more. At first she liked to sleep 3-4 hours at a stretch and waking her up to feed wad not very successful. But now the last three days it seems she just wants to nurse all day with maybe one nap and otherwise just short dozes (mostly on a boob pillow) and short content alert periods. She only sometimes shows hunger cues (mouth tongue moves) and other times is just fussy or abruptly starts crying but feeding her seems to make her happy. I'm pretty sure she is swallowing except when she starts to doze off.

I don't know how my supply is and i don't feel letdown and she won't get weighed again for another week, but she never seems frustrated while nursing and is making mucho many wet and dirty diapers.

My boobs had just gotten past initial soreness but this Marathon nursing is binging it back. Plus it's exhausting!

Sometimes sucking on my finger seems so satisfy her (after what seems like a reasonable feeding session) ; sometimes no.

TIA for any advice and please excuse outdated sight/ticker - I've only been able to mobile-bump since she was born!
Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!

Re: 2 weeks 5 days old - constantly hungry or suckling for comfort?

• Options
    I was there not too long ago, my baby is now 7 weeks. I remember feeling so incredibly drained in those first few weeks. Hang in there, it really does pass and it gets easier. And btw i did not start feeling my let down either till about 3-4weeks old.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I feel the same way some days. My baby is 14 days old today, and often I feel like he is just sucking for comfort, but not the case. My rule of thumb is if the pacifier isn't satisfying him, he is hungry. They are going through major growth spurts right now, and they won't eat if they are full. Supply meets demand, so if anything, your supply will continue to increase the more she eats. Hang in there mama!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am in the same boat right now. She wants to eat ALL the time. I am getting no sleep and feeling really exhausted and frustrated. All the moms encouraging words about it getting better does help a bit. Right now it is just so incredibly hard. I have even thought about giving up and going to formula.
  • Options
    i was super hesitant to use the paci too.....but i finally did at the 2 week mark. i felt that our BF was going pretty well and weight wasn't an issue.  it made me nervous that it would mess up BF but it hasn't at all. 

TTC#2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our little IVF miracle born 5/7/2014
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    haylo33haylo33 member
    I'm in the same boat. My baby is 12 days old and I think he is going through a growth spurt. We give him a pacifier. Sometimes it helps but these last few days it has not. You can offer one if baby just wants comfort but if it is a growth spurt, baby is going to want milk so it probably wouldn't help much
  • Options
    My lo is 2 weeks 2 days and I am going through the same thing! Honestly, I am just taking the opportunity to be lazy, watch TV and enjoy lo.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    My baby just went through this on Monday and Tuesday and I assume it was a growth spurt.  He was wanting to eat like every hour and being super fussy and not sleeping hardly at all.  Then on Wed, he finally went back to eating and sleeping like he did before.
  • Options
    Thank you all! Today she slept more and ate less. The suggestions to relax and binge-watch stuff sound good except I have a bunch of stupid but important (its for my evaluation) stuff for work due tomorrow that I didn't get done before she was born and can't do on my mobile thing while she is nursing (like now) so the timing was bad. Got a good chunk of it done today with her asleep in my lap; will hope tomorrow is similar!

DH is still reluctant to use plastic pacifier b/c is worried i'm not 100% confident about latch etc.

Boobs - nipples anyway - are hurting less today too so that is good.

@norab2684‌ is your LO giving you more sleep/breaks yet?
  • Options
    @springbeduk2‌ Yes! Today was much better- slept more and ate every 2ish hours. I think it must have been a growth spurt. So glad to hear that you also got a break!
  • Options
    norab2684 said:

@springbeduk2‌ Yes! Today was much better- slept more and ate every 2ish hours. I think it must have been a growth spurt. So glad to hear that you also got a break!

@norab2684‌ yay - so glad you had a better day too! Growing is a ggood thing of course but so is sleep!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"