February 2013 Moms

Throwing food

DD throws everything from her high chair - food, her sippy cup, toys! I still spoon feed her a lot because I always seem unsuccessful at trying to teach her to feed herself (and I don't want her to go without eating). When she's playing on the floor, she'll feed herself a snack if I offer it, so I know that she's capable of doing it. In her high chair, though, she's always whining and wanting to run away. DH and I have to sing and play with her and keep her constantly entertained just to get her to eat. I've tried giving her a toddler fork and spoon, but she looked at me like I was nuts and threw them overboard! Is this just a phase? She's never been that interested in eating or holding her own sippy cup or bottle... I'm getting so tired of stressful mealtimes! And going out to eat has gotten extremely difficult.Help! Any advice?

Re: Throwing food

• DBW0622DBW0622 member
    Yep my DS does this too...he was sick and lost some weight so I have chosen to abandon the high chair for this week so he will eat. I put his plate on the floor in the playroom and he plays and eats pretty well....I know this is a bad habit but I just want him to eat!!!! It's frustrating for sure! I will be seeing if any mommas have some advice that has worked, because so far he won this battle.
  • Same with DD! She always wins... I've tried to say, "no." I sound serious, but don't yell it. DD doesn't care, though! Sometimes she's waves her finger back and forth like I do when I say, "no," but the behavior continues. Other times she kind of doesn't care that I said no because I guess she knows she's going to be fed no matter what. I'm hoping there's something I can do besides not feeding her (I'm just not comfortable with that, though I know some mommas just end the meal when the throwing starts) to teach her to feed herself and chill out in her high chair! I wish she would be excited to eat like some of my friends' kids.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've tried that, and it's pretty much the same thing except she pulls the tablecloth or attempts to knock down our glasses! I've tried putting some food for her on a plate or place mat, but that gets quickly turned upside down. Maybe it's worth it to keep trying with her seated right at the table in a booster seat since she'll eventually be doing that.

• No advice, but we're in the same boat. DD gets bored in the high chair and ends up throwing food in the floor for the dog or splattering it everywhere. Even when I hold the spoon, she tries to knock it out of my hand, and the food gets everywhere. I always love having yogurt thrown in my face. It's the best! Lol. Seriously, though, DD is very busy and eats more when she grazes throughout the day, rather than sitting in the high chair at meal time. Right now, she's walking around the living room eating an apple. It's annoying, but it works!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • I don't have any advice - just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. 

Kira is one of those kids who, when she is done with something (food, milk, toys, whatever), she can't just put it down.  Oh no.  She must hurl it away from herself as if the object were on fire.

Yeah, mealtimes are rarely fun around here.

Yes! My kid is the same way. If it isn't useful to him anymore, it's being hurled across the room. I don't even know how to begin correcting it because he throws allthethings. I have to give it to him. He's got quite the arm.

Also, his new favorite thing is to throw things on the floor and yell "Uh-oh!" repetitively. He finds it to be highly amusing. So that doesn't help. Bleh.

View Full Size Image
    BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

• Yes! My kid is the same way. If it isn't useful to him anymore, it's being hurled across the room. I don't even know how to begin correcting it because he throws allthethings. I have to give it to him. He's got quite the arm. Also, his new favorite thing is to throw things on the floor and yell "Uh-oh!" repetitively. He finds it to be highly amusing. So that doesn't help. Bleh.
    Yep.  Our kids must be twins.  The uh-oh game is getting old. 
    Mom to 3 year-old girl and 1 year-old boy
  • We don't so much throw food from the high chair... we feed it to the dog. The dog who is supposed to be grain free. I swear that dog eats more table for than kibble at this point.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Food is usually thrown when he is done and that consists of taking both hands and whipping everything that is left onto the floor. Thank god for dogs who assist on the clean up...too bad some gets in their hair though. I usually go running over there yelling "ALL DONE ALL DONE"  in hopes he will say that before flinging all his food. This is why he doesn't get a whole lot of food on his tray at a time lol He also likes to drink his water and when he is done just drop it on floor, but every time we make him pick it up and put on the table lol
    photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • Food is usually thrown when he is done and that consists of taking both hands and whipping everything that is left onto the floor. Thank god for dogs who assist on the clean up...too bad some gets in their hair though. I usually go running over there yelling "ALL DONE ALL DONE"  in hopes he will say that before flinging all his food. This is why he doesn't get a whole lot of food on his tray at a time lol He also likes to drink his water and when he is done just drop it on floor, but every time we make him pick it up and put on the table lol

Wow, I am so impressed!  I used to do this with DS1, and it completely curbed his throwing habit, but he was older when I started. 

I am a huge fan of the book Love and Logic (punishment should fit the crime) and I think this is a great way to "discipline" throwing food.  I am going to start this with DS2 today!  Thank you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

• fignewt74 said:
    Food is usually thrown when he is done and that consists of taking both hands and whipping everything that is left onto the floor. Thank god for dogs who assist on the clean up...too bad some gets in their hair though. I usually go running over there yelling "ALL DONE ALL DONE"  in hopes he will say that before flinging all his food. This is why he doesn't get a whole lot of food on his tray at a time lol He also likes to drink his water and when he is done just drop it on floor, but every time we make him pick it up and put on the table lol

Wow, I am so impressed!  I used to do this with DS1, and it completely curbed his throwing habit, but he was older when I started. 

I am a huge fan of the book Love and Logic (punishment should fit the crime) and I think this is a great way to "discipline" throwing food.  I am going to start this with DS2 today!  Thank you!

Well I just got fed up with the throwing of the cup lol Especially when he wants something else after he does that. You want to be held kid, pick your cup up then, I am not the maid. We also before bed clean up our toys and book in the living room. He thinks it is fun lol It is mostly so our dogs won't chew on stuff on the floor but he doesn't need to know that
  • @DC2London SAME! 

@MonicaMerkel, I'm amazed that your kid listens to you and will actually pick things up and put them back where they are supposed to be. We are trying desperately over here, but DS is more like: 

View Full Size Image
    BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

• TarheelMama202

Trust me there are million times he doesn't, most of the time he smiles and runs away and does his naughty thing naughtier lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"