January 2014 Moms

OT: Thoughts on double vs single kitchen sink

CopperT0pCopperT0p member
edited May 2014 in January 2014 Moms
We're gearing up for a kitchen reno. DH thinks we should get a single sink that is the same width as our double sink currently is. For some reason I like the double sink, I feel like if I need to soak things it takes less water. Then there are times I have to wash a really big pan or pot and think it would be easier to have one large sink that they could fit in. Then there's the option for one of those sinks that is a double, but has one side that is small and the other side is larger. FWIW we have a built in dishwasher.
What say J14?
image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

OT: Thoughts on double vs single kitchen sink 73 votes

Single sink (same width as double)
12% 9 votes
Double sink with both halves equal size
35% 26 votes
Double sink with one small side and a larger side
47% 35 votes
SS - please explain
4% 3 votes

Re: OT: Thoughts on double vs single kitchen sink

• amt0312amt0312 member
    I voted single sink- we moved into our current house and it had a single sink and I will never go back to a double sink! It's so nice to have all that room for large pots and pans. Not having a double sink hasn't ever really presented a problem to us. When I visited my parents recently for an extended visit, I found myself getting very annoyed at their double sink. 
  • cja06cja06 member
    I've had all three of your options at one time or another. There are pros and cons to each, so it depends on what is important to you and your lifestyle. We remodeled our kitchen and opted for a deep single sink. Overall, I am happy with the decision. It holds all my pots and pans with no issue, and it is big enough that when I handwash I just put all the dirty stuff on one side and then the sudsy stuff on the other and then rinse those. But I do miss the double sink when I am washing fruit or veggies because it takes forever to fill up the sink and wastes water (I usually get a large pot out instead, but then that is another thing to wash). I also used to rinse off the food and then put it in the other sink when it was clean. I also miss being able to do something else (like wash my hands) while DH was say, washing the dishes or something. 

If I had to choose again, I would still stick with my single sink. It offers the most versatility. 

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the thoughts ladies, I think I will be ok with a single sink.  I tend to do all the dishes at once and don't leave things in the sink.  Right now if I need to soak something or wash bottles/pump parts I tend to do it in a large plastic baking bowl anyhow, so a single sink wouldn't change that.  It's other people that tend to fill up my sink if they are over and helping out. 
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have a double sink that is deep and wide on one side, and small and shallow on the other. It's a really great setup. All my big pots and pans (as well as DS's bath chair) fit in the large side, but it leaves one side free for rinsing plus the small side houses the garbage disposal so that doesn't get blocked when I'm doing dishes either. It's nice.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lena122Lena122 member
    I have a double with side smaller and I love it. When we moved in I missed my big single sink at first but now I love being able separate things.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sgriff1Sgriff1 member
    I'd loooove a huge farm house sink. Unfortunately when remodeling it wasn't in the cards so I settled for a double hammered copper sink which I love. I like having 2 seperate sinks to wash in but it really isn't a big deal either way for me.

• I love my equal size double sink so much I had to stop and wonder why the hell anyone would still get a single sink. I mean, I guess..

PCOS diagnosed secondary infertility

BFP #1 (letrozole 2.5mg + ovidrel) February 2016, MMC April 2016 @ 7 weeks

BFP #2 (letrozole 5mg + ovidrel) July 2016, Beta #1 359, Beta #2 745, Beta #3 11484

EDD April 9th, 2017

• I have a double deep same size sink. I guess I'm in minority in the fact that I use one side for washing while the other side has a drying rack built in for the dishes. I hate clutter on my counters and that's the only way for me to keep clean!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"