Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Introverted Mama

This is kind of an odd question, I suppose. I am an introverted FTM with a 2 month old baby girl. Socializing with adults does not come easily to me, so as you can imagine, it is even more difficult interacting w/ a baby who can't respond much. Some times I just don't know what else to say to her.... I feel like all I do is greet her (Hiiiiii babyyyyy), sing her what nursery rhymes I can remember, and ask her variations of how she is doing. I see my mom interact w/ her so easily, always making faces and different fun sounds in her ear. I can mimic my mom's ways to some extent, but this part of mommy-hood just doesn't come naturally to me. I'm concerned I'm not engaging my daughter enough and I don't want to negatively affect her social development. 

Is this weird? Should I be concerned? Anyone else feel similarly?  I need some serious validation (or advice). :)

Re: Introverted Mama

• Don't stress and don't put too much pressure on yourself.  You're not raising her in a mute environment and interacting with her will get easier once you're able to see that she is responding in some way.  Talk to her about what you're doing "Let's go make some lunch!  Mama's having turkey and a bottle for baby."  It's silly but easy.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I just talk to my LO and tell him what we're doing..I'm going to change your diaper now..did you poop for mommy? I basically just say a bunch of stupid stuff a times so he prob already thinks I'm nuts :-) Just talk to your LO and enjoy this time that they can't mouth off to you back!
  • Loading the player...
  • mysticlmysticl member
    It was just me for a long time before I met my husband so I got used to not talking when I was home.  It was difficult for me to remember to talk when LO was born.  Try narrating your day.  Or reading out loud.  At that young of an age it doesn't have to be children's books.  You can read stuff that interests you.  Heck even read her some of the posts on the bump.  Right now it's just important that she hear words.  
  • flclflcl member
    I know exactly how you feel.  Having to socialize with others gives me huge anxiety.  Just remember that there's no pressure cause she is your baby and loves you so much already!  Do what PPs suggested, narrate what you're doing, sing to her, read to her.  It'll get easier once she starts responding to you and what you guys are doing.  GL!!
  • Thanks All!  I will attempt narrating my activities for her - sounds promising... ("Hey Elle! Mommy is commenting on a bump.com post right now.... yaaaay mommy!).
  • flcl said:

I know exactly how you feel.  Having to socialize with others gives me huge anxiety.  Just remember that there's no pressure cause she is your baby and loves you so much already!  Do what PPs suggested, narrate what you're doing, sing to her, read to her.  It'll get easier once she starts responding to you and what you guys are doing.  GL!!

I'm an introvert too. Interacting with baby gets easier as they get older though, especially when they start talking, lol.
    happily married since 2009, SAHM
    diagnosed with unexplained infertility, regular cycles
    Baby #1: ttc naturally for 3 years, 6 yr old daughter
    Baby #2: ttc naturally for 2 years, 2 yr old son
    Baby #3: ttc naturally since August 2016
  • I was like that with DS1. I felt like some days I really hadn't said anything to him all day. I had to remind myself to talk to him. I would just narrate my day. I would tell DS1 ok today we are going to target to get diapers, for lunch I'm eating etc. I started reading to him could be one of his books or my People magazine. Don't worry DS1 is now a very interactive talkative 5yo.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"