September 2014 Moms
Options

90 second Braxton Hicks?

Ok ladies, I've been to this rodeo several times and never experienced anything like this. Tonight, in the middle of a phone call disputing a hotel charge, I had to hand the phone to my husband because I could not speak through a contraction(?). I stood up, walked, finally laid down. For those STMs, especially those who have had Pitocin, my whole stomach was super tight and it felt like one of those unrelenting contractions that just won't quit. After about 90 seconds, I had the urge to have a BM and then ended up having loose stool and then was fine but exhausted. I am super hydrated.

So... Normal? This ever happen to anyone? I am the type who doesn't feel contractions until labor is well on its way. Rarely felt BH in 5 pregnancies and not like this. It wasn't bowel cramping either, but was that brought on by the BH or the other way around? Insights please...

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: 90 second Braxton Hicks?

• Options
    Sounds like it might have just been an intestinal cramp or something if you had a loose stool directly after?

• Options
    suiternsuitern member
    I think it sounds more like an intestinal issue which may have caused the uterus to contract, but I don't think it sounds like a Braxton Hicks contraction.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    drae86drae86 member
    I was going to post something similar today but then I had my appointment with midwife so figured I'd just ask her. I had intense Braxton Hicks contractions last night. I had been having them off and on the last few weeks but it didn't bother me or make me stop what I was doing (most of them came on when I was either walking or exercising). Last night they were pretty intense that came with back pain like period cramps and felt the need to make a bowel movement and while it felt good sitting on the toilet i didn't need to. Eventually ran a bath with some Epsom salt and the contractions went away almost immediately after getting in the bath. I'm a FTM but I also expect to 'know' when i'm in labor from everything I've learned Braxton Hicks are nothing like the real thing but I didn't know they could get that intense. Not sure we experienced the same thing but I stay hydrated and what not. 

I know Braxton Hicks are a normal part of pregnancy and are essentially working your uterine muscles in prep for birth while massaging the baby (last night baby got a massage at my expense)! However, I don't know if the intensity is something that brings cause for concern, I plan to ask my midwife today and will let you know. Our Bradley instructor told us you can get them essentially whenever the uterus isn't comfortable typically due to pressure. I.e. walking, having to pee, eating too much, dehydration, etc. 
  • Options
    JSS1002JSS1002 member
    I had major BH during my first pregnancy that ended up being related to an asymptomatic UTI.  Once i got on anti-biotics for it, they stopped.  I guess that is pretty common.

Your situation sounds more like what I had last week -- which a lot of people seem to have had last week / going around right now (including 2 in my office and a neighbor of mine who shares our daycare).  Weird little stomach bug with cramping, diarrhea, loose stool, a little nausea, and in my case, what felt like a couple of very strong "contraction-type" sensations... except they didn't come and go like contractions, it was just a long feeling of tightness.

Hope you feel better!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. Put a call into the OB. Just want to make sure I didn't somehow cause that. I'm positive that it wasn't intestinal cramping, definitely a contraction but somehow related to the whole bathroom deal. One caused the other? Anyway, you'd think I wouldn't Bs concerned by #6 but I am not anxious to repeat that experience again.

@drae86‌ I am very curious to hear what your midwife says. I'll post if my OB has any info.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Just to clarify, BH are not suppose to hurt. Contractions do.
    I have had a ton of contractions with this pg. I get them for about 30 seconds, sometimes I have to stop walking/talking. I mentioned this to my dr and she said as long as they don't become a pattern (ie every 10 minutes) then they should be fine. I would definitely mention it to your dr but it sounds like it is fine.

• Options
    @Bonnesetter27‌ thanks for the clarification. I guess I always thought the distinction was just that BH are what they call contractions before active labor. At some level I guess I did know that they aren't supposed to hurt yet and that's why I was concerned.
    I did call my doctors office and the nurse essentially said the same as yours. She also added that because of the proximity of the bowels, it's actually not unusual for a very intense contraction to stimulate the bowels to empty. She said one often irritates the other - hard to say the cause but to keep track.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Actually, I'd disagree.. I had BH with both my boys... Starting early. My 2nd was breech.. For the last 3 weeks I had very painful BH.. Was actually monitored in the OB office and hospital watching them, but because they were irregular, they continued referring to them as BH. I've also had sporadic painful contractions earlier in 3rd tri which MFM said were BH.. Like OP mentioned, same feeling as when I had the relentless contractions when induced with pitocin... But not quite as severe (but, I waited a while before getting an epi, so my severe memories are when I was 8cm and fully effaced and contracting constantly...!). Anyway, talk to your OB, some people are more prone to them than others... I'd also get more than 10 an hour sometimes, which is another "red flag".. It's different for everyone
    Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

My blog about raising 2U2!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"