Pregnant after a Loss

Breast pump: hospital or medical supplier?

Wise STMs (or TTMs) and/or those who are ahead of me in this journey and/or PAL lurkers, I need your wisdom!

Insurance says I can get my breast pump from my hospital after delivery OR I can order it ahead of time from a medical equipment supplier.  The former seems easier but I am concerned I won't get as many choices.  I talked to a medical equipment supplier who told me a Medela breast pump (Pump In Style I think?) would be covered in full by insurance, I could pay $50 for an upgrade (PIS Advanced?) and $100 for a Freestyle.  I want that damn Freestyle and am willing to pay more for it.

Anyone have any advice as to whether there is an advantage -- financial or otherwise -- to going through the hospital or the supplier?  Is it worthwhile to have it ahead of time?  Price difference?  I'm confused.
:-/
Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
*Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breast pump: hospital or medical supplier?

• I didn't get mine until DS was about a month old. I waited until we had a good routine and then I started to build a freezer stash. I did get a Medela PIS for free from my insurance, but ended up using a Ameda passed down from my sister (it had a closed system do I just had to get my own tubing). I felt that worked better for me. I don't have any advise on the Freestyle. Sorry.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

ball.and.chain
  • If you know you can get the one you want from the medical supplier, I'd go ahead and order it. At least that way you know you'll have it (or be getting it shortly after birth).
    ball.and.chain
  • Loading the player...
  • I have not made any plans yet, and I plan to wait until after the LO arrives to see what will work best.  I have a friend who rented one from the hospital with her first baby.  She had a very difficult time in the beginning and needed the hospital grade pump to "pull her milk in."  At least that was how she described it.  So she got that one from the hospital.  With her second baby, she got the pump from a medical supplier through insurance. 

Are you in the Boston area?  I think she recommended Cambridge Medical Supply.  It is where I am planning to get my pump when the time comes.

TTC since October 2012

BFP#1 1/11/13, EDD 9/19/13, M/C at 9wk6dy 

BFP#2 11/12/13, DS born 7/28/14!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage

image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Chart

Everyone is welcome

ball.and.chain
  • I cant order mine from the company until tomorrow, the insurance is making me wait a month to order.  Not sure when I will receive mine.  I am going to check to see if i can upgrade but I dont thik I can which I think is stupid since I would be the one paying the extra.  I can get the Medela PIS  and it does not even come w a bag or anything.  

If you can get the one you want by paying a little more I would say go for it, that way you know you have it.  Or you can call the hospital and see what you can get from them.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

ball.and.chain
  • Are you in the Boston area?  I think she recommended Cambridge Medical Supply.  It is where I am planning to get my pump when the time comes.
    I am and I think that is the place I called.

I think I'm leaning toward just ordering from them and just being done with it. 
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

SuperKim13
  • I was able to order the Free Style from a local Lactation Consulting Service/Store TO the hospital! It took a few days to get to the hospital.  But that was ok as I just use the hospital's machine until it arrived. (my daughter was in the NICU for 6 weeks.  So I started pumping shortly after her birth.)  The freestyle was the same pump the hospital had, just not attached to a cart. Loved it!
    ball.and.chain
  • haleyusfhaleyusf member
    edited May 2014
    IMO, it's worth it to have in advance. You don't know when you're going to deliver so having it a couple weeks early is awesome. You can even use it for nipple stimulation to start labor if you're 40+ weeks. I had to have my mom run out to Target and buy me a breast pump the day after we came home from the hospital because I was expecting to be able to breastfeed and DS was terrified of my boobs. I ended up using it right away and pumped exclusively for several months, so well worth it. 

ETA: Also, if you have it in advance, you can practice using it so that you're not fumbling the first time with milk spraying everywhere.

DS born 10/22/2008
    DD born 12/23/2014

m/c @10wks 12/2007
    m/c @4wks 3/2014

ball.and.chain
  • Are you in the Boston area?  I think she recommended Cambridge Medical Supply.  It is where I am planning to get my pump when the time comes.
    I am and I think that is the place I called.

I think I'm leaning toward just ordering from them and just being done with it. 
    Awesome, and if you don't mind, please let me know how it goes!  

TTC since October 2012

BFP#1 1/11/13, EDD 9/19/13, M/C at 9wk6dy 

BFP#2 11/12/13, DS born 7/28/14!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage

image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Chart

Everyone is welcome

ball.and.chain
  • Thank you everyone for the input!  This was helpful.
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• I just wanted to jump in bc when DD was born 3 yrs ago I didn't know that getting one through insurance was even an option!! I shelled out the $300 for the good medela one. I loved loved loved it and it became so useful later on when she decided to stop nursing and I was EP for a few months! I hope that you can find one that works and that you don't have to pay a ton!

A little bit about me...

Married my awesome guy on 12/27/08

DD Lucy Rae born on 11/16/2010

Loss #1: November 29, 2012 at 8w1d

Loss #2: June 9, 2013 at 13w (Amelia Grace)

BFP #4: We are having a BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter Matthew was born on July 16, 2014!!! Welcome to our family!

"If anyone asks me how many children I have, the answer is 4. Just two of them live in Heaven."

*All are welcome in my posts*

ball.and.chain
  • CaitNMatt said:

I just wanted to jump in bc when DD was born 3 yrs ago I didn't know that getting one through insurance was even an option!! I shelled out the $300 for the good medela one. I loved loved loved it and it became so useful later on when she decided to stop nursing and I was EP for a few months! I hope that you can find one that works and that you don't have to pay a ton!

Hello

They didn't start having breast pumps covered under insurance until about August 1,2012. So you might have just missed it lasr time. It is under the affordable care act that was put into place in 2010. ( you probably know this. Lol)

It is great that they actually do this now especially since breast pumps are so expensive. It is just too bad that uou have to have a choice and can't just pick what one you want. I guess something is better than nothing. I will take it. :)

I just ordered mine yesterday. Medela pis!!!!

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

ball.and.chainspringbeduk2
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"