Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

When do you get your period and sex

When do you get your period? Will it become regular? I'm 4 weeks pp and the bleeding from that just stopped. 

Any tips on having sex 6 weeks pp? My husband keeps saying that he can't wait but I have heard that it hurts a lot.  What's your experience? 

Re: When do you get your period and sex

• Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    When you get your period will depend on a lot of things, including whether or not you're breastfeeding and how much/often.  

As for sex, we haven't yet (my 6 week appointment is tomorrow), but I've heard to take it slow and use lots of lube.
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Avion22 said:
    When you get your period will depend on a lot of things, including whether or not you're breastfeeding and how much/often.  

As for sex, we haven't yet (my 6 week appointment is tomorrow), but I've heard to take it slow and use lots of lube.
    lol!  So true though!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kmdendykmdendy member
    I am breastfeeding.. how does that effect getting your period?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    kmdendy said:
    I am breastfeeding.. how does that effect getting your period?

Thanks!

Breast feeding suppresses ovulation. No ovulation means no period. For some people this lasts several months or even a year. When done in a certain way, breast feeding can be an effective method of post-partum birth control (look up lactation amenorrhea method). I'm surprised your OB never mentioned this to you....
    imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    9 weeks since giving birth and I haven't got a period. I just started on the pill again a week ago so that probably had something to do with it, but before going on the pill I didn't have a period. As for intercourse, we still haven't tried. I tore badly and I still have an area that hasn't yet healed so I'm back to having sits baths to hopefully help it heal.
  • Options
    kmdendykmdendy member
    I haven't gone back to th ob yet caz I'm 4 weeks pp. just thinking ahead.
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    @WashingtonQueen, calm down.  If you'll re-read my post I said that IF used correctly it CAN be a method of birth control, which is true.  LAM is a recognized method of PP birth-control, but it has some very specific requirements, including exclusive breastfeeding, not going more than 4 hours between feedings during the day and 6 hours at night (on the breast, pumping and bottle feeding pumped milk don't count, so it doesn't work for moms who pump at work), and no more than 6 months or when you get your first period.  It's not 100%, but nothing is.  This is why I wrote in my post to read up on it before trying it.

Regardless, I wasn't telling PP that she should "rely" on LAM -- I was using it as an example to explain that breastfeeding women usually start their periods later than those who don't breastfeed, and that HOW you breastfeed can affect when your period returns as well.   

imageDSC_9275  image

• Options
    We start solids at 4 mos. I ovulated at 4 mos pp and got my first period 5 mos pp. I agree with the lube suggestion. It never hurt for me, just a bit uncomfortable at first.
  • Options
    marshtmarsht member
    I EP'D with my first and my period didn't return until we stopped nursing at 15 months pp. 

Married in 2/2006, TTC since 3/09 with Endo stage 4(DX 1999) and PCO (DX 2010), DEC, LAP and 2 rounds of Depo Lupron

• 2/10: IUI #1: Clomid 100mg= BFN
    • 3/10- 5/10: IUI #2 Clomid 150mg; IUI #2.2: gonalf, lupron; IUI #2.3: 2 rounds of 5mg Femara=All cancelled for nonresponse
    • 6/10 -IUI#2.4: gonalf, ganirelix, estrace, ovidrel, endometrium- early M/C
    • 8/10- IUI #3: gonalf, ganirelix, ovidrel, estrace, endometrium, lovenox, hcg boosters= BFP;  Beta#1=179, Beta#2= 360, Beta#3=1775; 1 perfect little HB!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Surprise BFP 2/13!B- M/C 7w 4D, D+C 3/13

Surprise BFP 6/13! - Blighted Ovum found at 7w, D+C 6/28

Surprise BFP 8/13!- Hopefully third time is the charm!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Avion22 said:

@WashingtonQueen, calm down.  If you'll re-read my post I said that IF used correctly it CAN be a method of birth control, which is true.  LAM is a recognized method of PP birth-control, but it has some very specific requirements, including exclusive breastfeeding, not going more than 4 hours between feedings during the day and 6 hours at night (on the breast, pumping and bottle feeding pumped milk don't count, so it doesn't work for moms who pump at work), and no more than 6 months or when you get your first period.  It's not 100%, but nothing is.  This is why I wrote in my post to read up on it before trying it.

Regardless, I wasn't telling PP that she should "rely" on LAM -- I was using it as an example to explain that breastfeeding women usually start their periods later than those who don't breastfeed, and that HOW you breastfeed can affect when your period returns as well.   

Calm down? My tits are perfectly calm, they've never been anything but. So, yeah...

Anyway, I laugh in the face of your rules. I have never pumped a bottle in my entire breastfeeding life. Straight from the tap all the time. I breastfeed my newborn daughter every 1 to 3 hours with added pacifier sessions as well, and a toddler also breastfeeding about 6 times a day. The longest I have ever gone without breastfeeding since my daughter's birth was the ONE time in her 9 month life she slept 5 hours straight. Still ovulated and got my period back at 8 weeks PP and been pretty regular since then.
  • Options
    Okay, this thread made me a little scared. lol

Before giving birth I couldn't even fathom going 6 weeks without sex.

Now with the pain of a perineal tear, I can fathom it. :))

But from what I've gathered, even after you are healed... It's still super painful? Do the muscles get super tight down there or what's happening?

My fiancé is rather... Blessed we'll say and now I am afraid.
  • Options
    jenb_99jenb_99 member
    I had a c-section and bled for 11 weeks. 7 weeks postpartum bleeding, then another 4 of breakthrough/adustment bleeding when I had my Paragard inserted. I had my first period about two weeks after the Paragard bleeding stopped.

We had intercourse at 5 weeks PP but fooled around starting about 3 weeks.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    killettekillette member
    edited May 2014

It's important to abstain from sex for the first six weeks because you having a gaping wound on your uterus from where the placenta detached. It's an infection risk to introduce anything into your vagina during that time.
    I know that part, thank you. I have no intention of attempting it earlier.

Did not know the part about breast feeding causing vaginal dryness though. So thank you for that as well. So it's just a matter of dryness then? If so, that's less terrifying. :P
  • Options
    If you are BF then it may be until you wean. Go slow, drink wine & take Tylenol. Both times were quite painful for me.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    I agree that BFing suppressing ovulation is bad information. If that were true, then no one would ever get pregnant while BFing.

I EBF both of my kids and had a period at 6 weeks after DS and 7 weeks this time around.

As for sex, lots of lube and tell your H to hold his horses and take it slow.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    SaraeaySaraeay member
    I have no advice about AF, I'm a FTM at 8w EBF and haven't had it yet.

For sex I was worried, I had two internal and one external tear. It hurt to sit for weeeeeks, the thought of sex was a joke. Luckily just before 6w I started to feel a little better and at 6.5 we DTD. I was still kinda worried but DH and I discussed it beforehand and I stayed on top to control the situation and everything worked out just fine. There was a little discomfort (not pain) and it's gotten less with each time. GL!
  • Options
    We had sex around the 6 week mark I was very nervous as I tore badly but in actual fact I was more sensitive down there and after taking it slow to start with I actually enjoyed the feeling. I do have to stress we did take it very slow at the beginning.
  • Options
    With DS1 I breastfed for 20 months. My period came back when he was 15 months old. Sex hurts because of how dry you are down there while breastfeeding but lots of lube definitely helps.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"