Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Reflux? Gas? Neither?

My little guy is 4 weeks old, and for almost 3 weeks now he has been fussy during the majority of his feedings (breastfeeding). He latches on ok, then while he's eating will start making grunting noises, and squirming around alot...eventually he'll pull away and start being fussy...then I'll try burping him (usually lets one out), thinking that his tummy's bothering him, but when he latches back on he usually keeps acting the same way.( I should point out that even though he keeps acting fussy and pulling away, he still will act hungry & will be very upset if I don't latch him back on.)This goes on until I assume he's had enough to eat and I quiet him down & he falls asleep. Also- especially in the last week or so- he's been spitting up more (first 2 weeks he rarely did), and these "fussy feedings" as I call them are always accompanied by him spitting up at some point during the feeding (or just after).

Have an appointment with his pediatrician in a week and will definitely talk to her about it. Already saw a lactation consultant....but I didn't do the greatest job of describing how he acts & of course he didn't do it at all when I met with her....anyway she said she thought it was just that he's full already & doesn't really want to eat anymore...I don't think that's it though. She was not very concerned, because she weighed him and he has been gaining weight like a champ (which is great!).

Does anyone have any clue what could be the problem?  Like I said, my instinct is that it's gas or tummy related, maybe reflux ....not sure what to do about it though. So if anyone has experienced something similar & has an idea of what the issue might be, and what I could do to try to help him, that woudl be great!

Re: Reflux? Gas? Neither?

• I had a similar problem with my LO. For me it was overactive letdown. Now I have to pop him off, let some milk out, then put him back on.

Check out
    https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

And see if that description matches. If it is overactive letdown my lactation consultant says it'll get better the older they get and learn to control the milk flow.

But definitely check with Dr. :) And you're doing a good job!
  • Mine does the same thing. He has reflux, and is on Zantac. But he still grunts at most feeding and in between. I don't think it's helping much. We go to doctor on Monday. I don't have much advise, just keep feeding and loving on him. We have tried mylanta, and gripe water. Neither has really helped. Sorry your LO is going through this. It sucks you can't make them feel better. I know! Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • My baby did the same thing...to the point I gave up on breastfeeding cause it would be 30 min or more and he was just so fussy and angry. So I began exclusively pumping and my doctor told me to add 1 teaspoon of rice cereal to every 1 ounce I pump, it helped a little but he was still throwing up huge amounts at least twice a day ( which always seems to be during the night feelings):(. She eventually prescribed Zantac. Which has helped a ton, but I still have to do the rice cereal in my breastmilk too. He's been a happier, calmer baby during feeding since!
  • I too have been experiencing the same thing while bf LO. What I have narrowed it down to (the best I can) is gas/trying to poop. Because he is bf, he poops after just about every feeding. My LO takes awhile to bf, so I am pretty sure his little system is trying to work it out, even while he is still feeding. I mentioned this to his doc at his last appointment, but the doctor didn't seem too concerned about it as if it was normal..... I have been using a little gripe water which seems to make him calm down.

Hopefully they will grow out of it when their little systems mature!
  • mcgeevamcgeeva member

I had a similar problem with my LO. For me it was overactive letdown. Now I have to pop him off, let some milk out, then put him back on.

Check out
    https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

And see if that description matches. If it is overactive letdown my lactation consultant says it'll get better the older they get and learn to control the milk flow.

But definitely check with Dr. :) And you're doing a good job!

This is my lo. Letdown too fast so my lo gags everytime. I lean back to feed to help with flow and or pull him off until the letdown finishes and put him back on. This adds to upset stomach, too many air bubbles causing gas etc

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• I can feel when my LO has gas. I just gently lay my hand on his stomach and it feels like carbonated soda bubbles in his belly. If it's gas that bothering your LO, you should be able to feel it.

Reflux you will notice things like spitting up and arching of the back.
    happily married since 2009, SAHM
    diagnosed with unexplained infertility, regular cycles
    Baby #1: ttc naturally for 3 years, 6 yr old daughter
    Baby #2: ttc naturally for 2 years, 2 yr old son
    Baby #3: ttc naturally since August 2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"