Baby Showers

Not sure how to handle shower planning...

I'm in a little bit of a weird situation, and I'd love some advice. I'm kind of at a loss for how to handle planning for my shower(s), since this is my first baby and I've only been to a couple of friends' showers. We are a military family, and we moved to CO about 8 months ago. We don't have any real friends here yet, so I want to have showers both in my hometown in AL and in DC (where we just spent 4 years and have a TON of great friends who are very excited for baby). I'm sure my mom will be in charge of planning the small shower for family and old friends in AL, but I'm not sure what to do about DC... I have a couple of really close friends who I think may offer, but they're both extremely busy people, and I'm not sure if they'll have the time. I'd much rather have a pretty non-traditional shower (definitely coed) for this one. It would be more of a chance for me to get to see all of my friends during my visit and celebrate the baby than an actual shower. That given, would it be seen as tacky for me to plan it myself? 

Plus, since I'll be flying, I'll need to figure out how to get any gifts back to CO. Is it weird to ask for anything that's not really small to be shipped to my home, and for them to just bring a photo so I still have something to "open" at the party?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

-Brittany
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Not sure how to handle shower planning...

• Loading the player...
  • VORVOR member
    If these are such good friends and if they really are excited and really want to "celebrate" with you, then THEY will approach you about doing this. 

I don't get this concept that I see often around here that there are these groups of people who are "oh so excited" but that the MTB is the one who needs to throw herself a party in order to get them to celebrate...???

• Don't mention anything about "small" gifts to your guests to the shower your mom is throwing.  Chances are, your guests will understand and either ship large gifts to your home, or gift you with portable things-- baby clothes/ blankets/ small toys.  If not, you will be in charge of getting your stuff back to CO-- you can ship it OR you can return everything for credit and then re-buy it once you get home.

Don't throw yourself a shower in DC.  You can maybe host a get together to see old friends, but do not mention anything baby related.

GL

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• The idea that you're not allowed to suggest how you would like your shower to go just seems so antiquated to me... Maybe "shower" isn't even the right term for the type of party I'm thinking of, but I know that I would NOT be comfortable if the person who offered to host my shower/party/whatever insisted that it be women only. A lot of my best friends are either men or somewhere in the middle of the gender spectrum (trans/genderqueer), so it would exclude people who are very important to me. They're just as excited about the baby as my female friends, so why would I leave them out? 

The more I think about it, I just don't understand why it's so taboo for someone to throw their own party, especially if it's not a traditional baby shower (I'm thinking more of going the baby-que route). I just don't want to impose upon my friends who are already incredibly busy and don't have the extra cash to spend on a big party for me, especially since I'm not living there right now. If you can host your own birthday party, what's wrong with having a baby party? It seems like it's just one of those things that has been poo-poo'ed for so long, everyone accepts it for tradition's sake even though it doesn't make much sense for modern times.

And with the gifts situation, I think I didn't word that very well. It's not like I'm saying GIFTS EXPECTED, but I just know that a lot of people probably will bring one, since they've been bugging me for registries and whatnot (which I haven't even started yet...). Sure, gifts are a bonus, but I really just want to spend time with my loved ones and celebrate this baby with them. I'm just trying to be practical and think ahead.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• What does QFP mean? Apparently I don't speak message board.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If someone wants to throw one, they will offer. They really will. And they will probably ask for input on things like the guest list. And I'm assuming that if someone wanted to host they would know the make-up of your closest friends (because they would be one of them) and they would know who to invite and who you really didn't want excluded.

The term baby-que is revolting.

If someone decides that they'd like to throw you a shower in DC, they'll realize you're flying in (because, and this is an assumption, you'd be inviting people who know you moved because they are close to you and this wouldn't be a giant thing) and would probably send bigger things to your house. Anything else, either bring an extra suitcase or you can ship parcel post for a really reasonable rate.

Look, my H is in the military, I know what it's like to be far from friends and family, but it doesn't give me, or you, the right to be tacky and AWy. I probably won't have a shower where we live now and we've lived here for over 2 years. A lot of our friends have moved, and I wouldn't be surprised if more move before we get to the point of a shower. Hell, we might move before then. The most that will happen here is that H's work normally does a small shower with refreshments. But that might not even happen because there could be whole new regime. It's one of those things that you just let go and if it happens it happens. I'll probably end up with a small shower in my hometown(because I'm pretty sure my best friend is chomping at the bit to do it) (12ish hours away), and if I can't drive back I'll ship things. It's just something you get used to.

Also, if you want to 'celebrate the baby' and no one in DC offers to throw the shower, then I'd wait until you could travel and then go back to DC with the baby and do a 'meet the baby' thing.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am also military and will be traveling from MS to MA for my shower. For the shower with your family, I would just let your mom plan it and say nothing about shipping gifts. This is what I am doing. In addition if there are items that are too large to take back with me, I will be returning the gifts and repurchasing the same items online with the return credit and have them shipped directly to my home. This may take a bit of time and effort but it is cheaper than shipping each item.

For the DC area, my opinion is to not throw your own shower/get together. If you already have a trip booked, I would let your friends know when you will be in the area and that you hope to see everyone. This would open the door and let people know that you will be in town and they may offer to throw you a shower. If you haven't planned a trip yet, maybe tell a friend that you are hoping to visit before baby comes and that may open the door as well. You definitely don't want to ask people to throw you a shower, but I see nothing wrong in letting them know that you will be in town. That way you can at least make plans to see your friends individually and not have the pressure of a shower.
  • Alright, ladies. Point made. No need to pile on anymore. I still disagree on a couple of points (I DO think etiquette can be antiquated and needs to be re-examined periodically), but at least now I know how strongly people feel about these things. I just don't come from that world. Frankly, I'm surprised at how hostile some of your responses have been. I'm going to step back from the conversation now.

One last thing - speaking of things that are "rude," I just have to say that the whole QFP thing is a huge turn-off to posting on these boards at all. It feels like I was being ridiculed before I had even responded, and I really don't appreciate that.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Meery82Meery82 member
    Kimbus22 said:
    KatFCo said:
    Has everything been covered?
    1. First time poster? Check
    2. Wants to plan own shower? Check
    3. Wants to give suggestions regarding gifts? Check
    4. "It's not really about the gifts"? Check
    5. "Times are changing"? Check
    6. You guys are being mean! Check

Now all we need is a "this board is about support" or a comment on pregnancy hormones and we'll be done. We need to start playing bingo or something. 
    You forgot "People can throw their own birthday parties though!"

WHO?  Who are these adults that throw themselves birthday parties?  Where are they?  I've never once been to a birthday party thrown by the person who is being celebrated. Never once.

I invited people to a bar to celebrate my birthday with me last year because I turned 30. Of course, I wouldn't really call that a party, the karaoke was going on anyway. And I got too blitzed to really notice who was there anyway.

I don't think I've ever seen the term "trans/genderqueer". Is this something new? Am I out of the loop? I'm not being snarky, genuinely curious.

LOL. Where did you see that?
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • The idea that you're not allowed to suggest how you would like your shower to go just seems so antiquated to me... Maybe "shower" isn't even the right term for the type of party I'm thinking of, but I know that I would NOT be comfortable if the person who offered to host my shower/party/whatever insisted that it be women only. A lot of my best friends are either men or somewhere in the middle of the gender spectrum (trans/genderqueer), so it would exclude people who are very important to me. They're just as excited about the baby as my female friends, so why would I leave them out? 

The more I think about it, I just don't understand why it's so taboo for someone to throw their own party, especially if it's not a traditional baby shower (I'm thinking more of going the baby-que route). I just don't want to impose upon my friends who are already incredibly busy and don't have the extra cash to spend on a big party for me, especially since I'm not living there right now. If you can host your own birthday party, what's wrong with having a baby party? It seems like it's just one of those things that has been poo-poo'ed for so long, everyone accepts it for tradition's sake even though it doesn't make much sense for modern times.

And with the gifts situation, I think I didn't word that very well. It's not like I'm saying GIFTS EXPECTED, but I just know that a lot of people probably will bring one, since they've been bugging me for registries and whatnot (which I haven't even started yet...). Sure, gifts are a bonus, but I really just want to spend time with my loved ones and celebrate this baby with them. I'm just trying to be practical and think ahead.
    Asked & Answered.

You asked if we thought it was tacky.
    We answered yes, it's tacky & in poor taste.

That is not an invitation to go on some ramble to us to try to justify why you want to do it anyway.

Why did you ask if you didn't want real advice?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• NLJ82NLJ82 member
    The idea that you're not allowed to suggest how you would like your shower to go just seems so antiquated to me... Maybe "shower" isn't even the right term for the type of party I'm thinking of, but I know that I would NOT be comfortable if the person who offered to host my shower/party/whatever insisted that it be women only. A lot of my best friends are either men or somewhere in the middle of the gender spectrum (trans/genderqueer), so it would exclude people who are very important to me. They're just as excited about the baby as my female friends, so why would I leave them out? 

brittosaurus , All of this seems perfectly normal to me. I think I'd cool it when speaking about specific sized and kinds of gifts, but other than that...ur good. It's fine to host your own if needed and it's awesome to do coed. If you get gifts that are too large...that's just on you and you'll have to figure out a way, but enjoy it regardless! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• NLJ82NLJ82 member
    LOL! Yea it is :)

• NLJ82NLJ82 member
    edited May 2014
    lol! No, just new to this board and offering my opinions. I don't think that differing opinions should be 'troll status'. I'm offering it to OP, wasn't looking for a debate really....although I knew it was inevitable unfortunately. I just think it's something really fun and light hearted and shouldn't have to many strict rules. It's a party for a baby & it's mother. All the rules are a bit much for me. Thankfully my family and friends agree and things are going smoothly :)

• NLJ82NLJ82 member
    edited May 2014

@RedheadBaker I've been to "Celebration of Life" ceremonies and gatherings for deceased many times who "weren't there"....I think "they're not born yet" is irrelevant. He's in me...I'll be there...he'll be in the room I'm pretty sure.

Like I said, THANKFULLY my family and friends agree with me so no one would be uncomfortable in my situation. Everyone is different though. I'm just speaking from my point of view.

• NLJ82 said:

@RedheadBaker I've been to "Celebration of Life" ceremonies and gatherings for deceased many times who "weren't there"....I think "they're not born yet" is irrelevant. He's in me...I'll be there...he'll be in the room I'm pretty sure.

Like I said, THANKFULLY my family and friends agree with me so no one would be uncomfortable in my situation. Everyone is different though. I'm just speaking from my point of view.

Well than you should know your point of view is not what anyone who has any grasp of etiquette deems acceptable. That's just a fact.
    Anniversary 
  • NLJ82NLJ82 member
    lol!! u guys are so funny :D I like this board!

• SaratiffSaratiff member
    edited May 2014
  • NLJ82 said:

Truer words have never been spoken. I always feel like I have such different opinions to the majority. Is it a region thing? Most of the people I know think like me, guess we just aren't good enough to post here. 
  • Sigh
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @MandJS, Kind of crappy as you've seen but I'm hoping we're on the upswing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's in absolutely awful taste to compare a memorial service or wake to a baby shower. What the fuck?! :-??

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I've been lurking around this board for a few days now. And the amount of people asking "can I throw my own shower?" Just astounds me. It makes my stomach turn. I'm due with my second child (another girl) in 6 weeks and I've politely turned down offers for numerous showers. It's just all in very poor etiquette to even think about it. ESPECIALLY throwing your own. Times may be changing, but etiquette never does.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"