October 2014 Moms
Options

Don't judge a pregnant woman's lunch

Where I work, they provide groceries every week for the employees to make sandwiches and such for lunch.  

So I was in the kitchen making a chicken sandwich and two of my co-workers were also in there making their lunches.  I went to the fridge to get out the baby carrots and saw they were expired.  I said, "Oh no, the carrots are expired, that's sad!"  and one of my co-workers responded with, "Well I think it's sad that they wash baby carrots in bleach, but if you like them..."

Then the other co-worker was making a tofu sandwich.  I said, "That looks good, but I'm not brave enough to try it!"  His response, "Well, it's not slaughtered, so.."

What the heck?!  Maybe I'm being sensitive.. I HATE when people make comments about my food in general, but I honestly felt like an idiot for eating my sandwich and wanting the carrots.

<end rant>

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Don't judge a pregnant woman's lunch

• Options
    lrobi13lrobi13 member
    Whatever...enjoy you food and tell them they can worry about themselves.  People are smart enough in my office not to question me because I would go off in a heartbeat (and I make poorer choices than you are!)
  • Options
    I ❤️ baby carrots. And I'm a proud omnivore. Now I want some carrots...
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I loveee baby carrots!

It sounds like these individuals would have judged the food choices regardless of the person eating them, so I don't think pregnancy came into play here.  It's possible the vegetarian was offended by someone saying they aren't "brave" enough to try his lunch, implying that one must be "brave" to consume tofu.

Basically it sounds like they like judging/offering their opinion, even if it wasn't requested.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    I go through phases where I'm all about healthy eating, but I can only do it for so long.  Then I go back to eating whatever I want.  Plus, every other day there's a story about how something else that we thought was good for us is actually bad for us, so it's basically a no win anyway.

I hate it so much when people make comments about my food, though.  I pretty much have an obsessive relationship with food that I'm trying to reel in.. I don't need my co-workers opinions, too.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Geez, that's how they act when making lunch? Who says stuff like that? That would make me want to come in with a huge roast and stuff a napkin into my shirt and have it with my bare hands like the ravenous pregnant beast that I am. Just to see their faces.
    Haha!  You guys are making me laugh!  :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    SusieBWSusieBW member
    How awesome that your company provides groceries for lunches!

Yeah, those guys sound like dicks.  Ignore them.

My boss just came in to talk to me about something as I was eating a Panera sandwich and she said "Oh, you have something healthy today" like she was surprised I wasn't eating junk food or lasagna or something.  Ugh.  She just lost a whole mess of weight and is still on this crazy weight loss kick because her daughter is getting married this summer, so now she's like the food and exercise nazi.  It's exhausting.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    SusieBW said:

My boss just came in to talk to me about something as I was eating a Panera sandwich and she said "Oh, you have something healthy today" like she was surprised I wasn't eating junk food or lasagna or something.  Ugh.  She just lost a whole mess of weight and is still on this crazy weight loss kick because her daughter is getting married this summer, so now she's like the food and exercise nazi.  It's exhausting.
    Yeah, it's really nice!  It's mainly deli meats, so I haven't been taking advantage lately, but they bought chicken for me this week.

OMG.. I can't believe someone would say that!  If someone would have said that to me, it would make me feel terrible.. then I'd probably want to kick them in the junk until I felt better.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    SusieBWSusieBW member

SusieBW said:

Yeah, it's really nice!  It's mainly deli meats, so I haven't been taking advantage lately, but they bought chicken for me this week.

OMG.. I can't believe someone would say that!  If someone would have said that to me, it would make me feel terrible.. then I'd probably want to kick them in the junk until I felt better.
    Yeah, she backtracked and said something about how she meant as opposed to something from the cafe downstairs in our building, but that was lame and just didn't make sense.  I think I might wait until she goes in the kitchen to get her little yogurt snack this afternoon and then go in there and make myself a giant ice cream sundae (We have sundae fixins on hand from my work birthday party a few weeks ago, it's pretty awesome).
  • Options
    I would just ignore them. its your body not theirs and your baby. Lol enjoy whatever yu want
  • Options
    If baby carrots are wrong, I don't want to be right. 

Sounds like your co-workers are being jerks.  It really really gets to me when people make comments on my lunch too.  As hard as it is, try to just let it roll off your back.  People who make totally unsolicited comments like that are dealing with their own issues and are probably trying to justify their own choices.  
    Me: 30 H: 30, Married Since 10/2010, TTC #1 in 12/2013, BFP 2/13/2014, Baby M 10/16/14
    It's a girl!
  • Options

Dude, the I'monly reason I'm looking forward to going to work tomorrow is because it's fried chicken, baked beans, and collard green day in the cafeteria.  (Not even in the south, but this is the best meal ever!)

Lol
  • Options
    SusieBW said:

SusieBW said:

Yeah, she backtracked and said something about how she meant as opposed to something from the cafe downstairs in our building, but that was lame and just didn't make sense.  I think I might wait until she goes in the kitchen to get her little yogurt snack this afternoon and then go in there and make myself a giant ice cream sundae (We have sundae fixins on hand from my work birthday party a few weeks ago, it's pretty awesome).
    Umm.. can I come to your work for a sundae party??  That sounds way better than the stash of cookie in my desk drawer that I'm about to break out!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I hate when anyone judges food, period. What I eat doesn't affect anyone else (pre-pregnancy, I get it affects the baby now). I had an old boss who was a health freak and at a business lunch I ordered a Prime Rib French Dip. In front of everyone, she said,"Wow, you must be really hungry today. Splurging a bit, eh?" No, I wanted a fucking sandwich and it sounded good. She was annoying.
  • Options
    Sounds like some coworkers have a major case of the grumpies sads (oh hell they're assholes) today. 

But in all seriousness, who says these things to other people in real life?  We may think them occasionally, but some people need to get a filter.  Also, now I want baby carrots. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options
    What dicks! If they feel that strongly maybe they should go sit outside to eat their lunch instead of wasting electricity eating inside. And I hope they aren't creating any garbage!

And I want to know where you work that they provide groceries for you? We're lucky to get filtered water!
  • Options
    pushgal84 said:
    Sounds like they have a case of the "hipsters", ugh. I personally limit my tofu/soy intake because of the higher estrogen levels it can cause and breast cancer and there's a family history of breast cancer. But hey, maybe someday Mr. Tofu will be able to say he grew man boobs before man boobs were cool. To clarify, I am in no way against vegetarians or vegans, just assholes :)
    BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

I was just going to say, tell Tofu Sandwich guy to enjoy his estrogenic sandwich and the accompanying hot flashes I'm sure he'll get someday.

• Options
    @BreandMikewedding - I'm pretty sure they did go outside to eat lunch today.. Haha!

I work at a video production company and we're pretty small, so it's one of the perks!

@pushgal84 - Total hipsters, not just a case of it!  I feel so out of place here sometimes!

And, I had no idea about higher estrogen levels and tofu/soy.  Now I will always picture him with man boobs.. thanks ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry but your co-workers are idiots...

1) If they know you're preggers they should never comment on your food choices but even if they don't know... your body... your choice...

2) I personally think that we NEED to eat meat in order to have the right amount of protein for our baby and ourselves. I know vegetarians will disagree, just a personal strong conviction I have ...but I don't go around saying that to people who don't eat meat!

I HATE when people comment on what you're eating...mind your business...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options
    You know what, you were reaching for veggies. The vitamins and fiber are better than any harm caused by the miniscule amount of chlorine that they are rinsed in. And tofu has estrogenic compounds in it that you're wise to avoid while pregnant. Chicken, on the other hand: solid, traditional animal protein, with all the associated fats and B vitamins your body needs. Your baby thanks you!

Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
  • Options
    Your co-workers sound lameeee

• Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    My diet has always been outside the norm for one reason or another, so I get how obnoxious it is for coworkers to comment on your lunch. I try to keep food discussions to a minimum, unless someone microwaves fish. I will make a big loud stink about microwaved fish. And then I will go eat my lunch at my desk, where no one else can see what I'm eating.
  • Options
    I think it's great that everyone is backing you up on this, OP. If these were people
    commenting on your food choices because you were pregnant, I'd back you up also.

I know I'm not the only one to notice that YOU commented on your coworker's food before he said anything. It doesn't sound like
    he was giving your food a second thought until you had to make a comment about his.
  • Options
    themissthemiss member

Ugh...I was vegetarian for a while, and would NEVER have said that to someone! I think people are too quick to share their personal opinons on things, and need to just mind their business.

If someone complimented my yummy tofu sandiwch, and I would have said "Thanks!" cause I'm not a jerk :)

Ignore them. Eat what you want to eat.

It's a BOY! Est. Due Date - October 17th

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    themiss said:

Ugh...I was vegetarian for a while, and would NEVER have said that to someone! I think people are too quick to share their personal opinons on things, and need to just mind their business.

If someone complimented my yummy tofu sandiwch, and I would have said "Thanks!" cause I'm not a jerk :)

This! I'm not sure how what she said was offensive. I mean, you really, really have to be in a bad mood to take offense to "That looks so good, wish I was brave enough to try it" or whatever it was. So yeah, I still stand by OP. What she said was a lighthearted compliment that his food looked delicious. What he said was straight up rude/weird. If he was offended, wow. Someone needs a non-slaughtered bear hug. 
    Right?  I said it looked good, which it did.  I was expecting a, "It's really not bad, you should try it."  Or, "It tastes like ____, so maybe you would like it."  What he said made him sound very pompous... so yeah, it was rude.

Thanks, internet friends, for backing me up ;)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    themissthemiss member
    themiss said:

This! I'm not sure how what she said was offensive. I mean, you really, really have to be in a bad mood to take offense to "That looks so good, wish I was brave enough to try it" or whatever it was. So yeah, I still stand by OP. What she said was a lighthearted compliment that his food looked delicious. What he said was straight up rude/weird. If he was offended, wow. Someone needs a non-slaughtered bear hug. 
    Right?  I said it looked good, which it did.  I was expecting a, "It's really not bad, you should try it."  Or, "It tastes like ____, so maybe you would like it."  What he said made him sound very pompous... so yeah, it was rude.

Thanks, internet friends, for backing me up ;)

He was a jerk. People would get defensive with me being vegetarian before I even opened my mouth! They would ask me about it, I would say that I didn't eat meat, and then they would go on the offensive instantly: I would never get enough protein, Meat was too yummy, Don't turn meat into an enemy, etc.

People who make the kind of comments that that man said is the reason why so many people don't discuss being vegetarian/vegan.

Well...this got my blood pumping! I need to calm down now, haha

It's a BOY! Est. Due Date - October 17th

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"