October 2014 Moms
Options

big baby, small mom!

lucky6059lucky6059 member
edited May 2014 in October 2014 Moms
So, my bf told me he and his other son (we are having a boy!) were both 11-12 pound babies... Eeeek! I'm small framed and short (5')! Have any of you had a big baby and if so, how did it go?

Re: big baby, small mom!

• Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited May 2014
    All DH's siblings ( DH and 4 other) were over 9 pounds.

Both my boys were 7 pounds and 7 pounds 2 ounces.

You have to remember your genetics play a huge roll and what your body can physically carry.
  • Options
    I'm 5'0, and DS was 9.4 lbs.

I was pretty big at the end, but nothing more than uncomfortable. I was able to have a vaginal delivery, although my Dr. did warn me before that his size did make a C/S more of a possibility, but was on board with trying for as long as I could.

My labor and delivery was totally on the "normal" side. :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    EDD: 10/10/14
    Mommy to Jake, born 12/19/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH was 11 lbs and his brother was (omg) 13 lbs. I'm 5' tall and our daughter was 7 lbs 10 oz. She wasn't even very big and my ribs were miserable during the last 6-7 weeks or so. And this one is a boy…I'm really dreading my third tri. But I'm a c/s mama because DD's arm was stuck…no way I'd try to push something more than 8 lbs out that tiny hole and risk a 4th degree tear. I'm having a RCS. I've seen a 4th degree tear in practice as a nurse and it was the grossest thing I've ever witnessed…and that's saying something.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    So, my SIL was very small before her two babies. She's about 5'1" and was about a size 0/2 before the babies. Her husband (H's brother) and H were both big babies and SIL actually ended up having 10 lb babies herself. She did great and has two beautiful boy to show for it. My 6lb 12 oz baby sure felt like a 10 lber when I was having trouble pushing him out! I'm bigger on the plus side. I don't think your body type and baby size always indicates how it will go, is my point.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Options
    MagentaMouseMagentaMouse member
    edited May 2014
    Eastie156 said: So, my SIL was very small before her two babies. She's about 5'1" and was about a size 0/2 before the babies. Her husband (H's brother) and H were both big babies and SIL actually ended up having 10 lb babies herself. She did great and has two beautiful boy to show for it. My 6lb 12 oz baby sure felt like a 10 lber when I was having trouble pushing him out! I'm bigger on the plus side. I don't think your body type and baby size always indicates how it will go, is my point.

She was small
    before her two babies? Then what happened??  :-S
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Lots of good points!
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

Also, more important than weight for ease of delivery is head circumference! A 6lb baby with an 18" head will make for a harder delivery than a 10lb baby with a 16.5" head...it's all about the head, and not actually about the chunk! :)

Chin up. You will rock your labor/birth!

I don't disagree with you at all, but the largest head size of a newborn that I've ever heard of was 15.5in and that's in the 97th+ percentile. DD was only 14in and she was a good size baby. I cannot fathom 18in!!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:
    Your baby is more likely to be an appropriate size for your frame/build. Nature is awesome that way. ;) Try not to worry too much: baby has your genes too! Also, more important than weight for ease of delivery is head circumference! A 6lb baby with an 18" head will make for a harder delivery than a 10lb baby with a 16.5" head...it's all about the head, and not actually about the chunk! :) Chin up. You will rock your labor/birth!
    This. Mine had big ole heads (99th %). Everything is meant to stretch, and why the baby's growth plates in their heads are so movable! What's a few more inches? 
    I'm 5'4" and had relatively easy deliveries of good sized babies. It's all presentation, too.
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    Married 8/09 to my love
    Our little shamrocks:
    M~4/11   W~12/12   E~due 10/14

• Options
    BeanNutBeanNut member
    Baby's size is a mixture of your genetics and his. My DH was 9+lbs at birth, I was 7 lb 7 oz and my two girls have been 7 lb 7 oz and 7 lb 11 oz.

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
  • Options
    My SIL is Chinese and I'm just telling you that because then you know she's very petite. Maybe 4'9"...my nephew was almost 10 lbs. She was so small and he was so big that he couldn't turn around, so she had to have a c-section.
  • Options
    jenndubjenndub member
    I'm 5'8 but pretty thin, about 115-120 when I'm not pregnant. My first was over 9 lbs and I pushed her out in less than an hour. Her big head was definitely the worst part, but I recovered and am now on baby # 4. And strangely, each baby has been smaller in weight and head size since then. DS was 8lbs 6 oz and DD2 was 7lbs 3oz.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • Options
    Eastie156 said:
    So, my SIL was very small before her two babies. She's about 5'1" and was about a size 0/2 before the babies. Her husband (H's brother) and H were both big babies and SIL actually ended up having 10 lb babies herself. She did great and has two beautiful boy to show for it. My 6lb 12 oz baby sure felt like a 10 lber when I was having trouble pushing him out! I'm bigger on the plus side. I don't think your body type and baby size always indicates how it will go, is my point.

She was small before her two babies? Then what happened??  :-S

um.....nothing..... :/

She basically got overwhelmed with caring for two kids by herself  (BIL is a firefighter and never home) and was also in grad school. She always ran and skied before kids and pretty much stopped all together after kids. It was a lot of life style change that resulted in her weight.

• Options
    Emerald27 said:
    Your baby is more likely to be an appropriate size for your frame/build. Nature is awesome that way. ;) Try not to worry too much: baby has your genes too! Also, more important than weight for ease of delivery is head circumference! A 6lb baby with an 18" head will make for a harder delivery than a 10lb baby with a 16.5" head...it's all about the head, and not actually about the chunk! :) Chin up. You will rock your labor/birth!

Pretty sure I had the 6 lb 18" headed baby. DS has a gigantic head and always has. He measures in the 40th percentile for height and weight but 99th for head circumference ;)

• Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited May 2014
    I do newborn photography and 18" is unheard of. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I'm sure not often

Are you sure you are bit thinking baby length? Average head circ is 12-14.

Most babies are only 18-22 inches length.
  • Options
    Don't worry your body will only let the baby get as big as there is room for. Think of a tree grown in a pot...it won't grow too tall because the roots can't expand until you plant it elsewhere :). I'm 5'0" my first was 7lbs 10oz. I was barely 6 lbs and my hubby was maybe 8lbs.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"