October 2014 Moms
Options

C-Section?!?

Any moms find out they have to have a c-section or have any of the STMs had one before? How old were you during the procedure? And how was your recovery? I'm kind of nervous about it! Especially the scaring factor but I know my baby boy will be worth it! ;)

Re: C-Section?!?

• Options
    ariel06ariel06 member
    I had a c-section for my first because he was breech.  I had a VBAC with my 2nd.  Recovery-wise I didn't think they were that different.  With both I felt pretty much back to normal after two weeks.  
    My c-section scar is only about 2 inches long and it's below the bikini line.  
    I have 26 with my c/s and 28 with my VBAC.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've had two. 
    DD1 was not scheduled. I labored but never progressed and then her heart rate dropped after they broke my water and gave me an epidural. So that was that. C-Section. I was sad bc I really wanted a vaginal delivery, but at that point, I really just wanted to meet my LO!! 

DD2 was scheduled, but I really wanted to try for a VBAC. My dr scheduled my surgery with the understanding that I was still hoping to go into labor on my own. I even canceled my surgery one week and rescheduled for the next week. I thought if I gave my LO more time, then maybe I'd go into labor! That never happened and I had another section! In the end, my recovery from this scheduled c-section was a lot easier and quicker than my first c-section. I do think that it was harder to recover after my first since I labored first. I was so tired and the surgery wiped me out even more. 

Being awake during surgery wasn't as scary as one would think. The doctors talked me through things if I wanted to know or asked questions. My husband was next to me the whole time. It literally just feels like pressure on your abdomen. No pain what so ever! ANd its quick. I think I was done in 45 minutes! When recovering, I did learn to be my own advocate for pain medication. I was on extra strength tylenol and percocet, both safe to take while breastfeeding. Staying on top of my pain made a big difference in my recovery. 

I'll be having my third c-section for this baby too.

Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    SusieBWSusieBW member
    I had one with DD.  I had hoped for a natural, med-free birth, but DD had other plans, apparently.  I never progressed past 1cm, despite having contractions ever minute or so for at least 24 hours, and I was over a week past my due date.  They weren't real labor contractions, though, just the typical last few weeks getting ready contractions.  But damn . . .

Anyway, I was 32 at the time (though I'm not sure why that matters?), and my recovery overall was really easy.  Immediately after surgery recovery was kind of rough, because I was all drugged out and was throwing up from the pain meds after having not eaten all day, but once that passed, my recovery from the surgery was not bad at all.  I'm not going to lie, some of the area around the scar is still kind of numb almost 3 years later, but I've been told that's normal, and lots of people never get feeling back completely right on the incision site.  My scar had faded well, but it doesn't faze me in the least to have a scar - I'm not a bikini kind of girl or anything like that, so no one is ever going to see it except my DH anyway.

I was really scared for the needle in my back, more than anything else.  That's why I was hoping and planning for a med-free birth in the first place - I am terrified of a needle in my spine.  That's also why I'm hoping for a VBAC this time around, even though my c/s went fine and I had an easy recovery last time.  And even though I know exactly what it feels like now and know what to expect, I'm still terrified.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My first baby was a natural birth, but DS was breech, I went in at 37w1d for a version that went bad and turned into an emergency c section, my body for some unknown reason doesn't take spinals, they can't ever get the right spot so I would put out completely for my c section! Recovery was a bit harder with the c section but I hear repeat c sections are much easier, my scar is maybe 3 inches long and it's below the bikini line so you can't see it, but you really have to look to find it bc it's barely noticable! I'm hoping for a vbac this time but my dr said it's probably not possible since I got pregnant 3 months after the c section! Either way I will be happy, I enjoyed both my vaginal and c section experiences! Oh and I was 27 when I had the c section!
  • Options
    ariel06 said:
    I had a c-section for my first because he was breech.  I had a VBAC with my 2nd.  Recovery-wise I didn't think they were that different.  With both I felt pretty much back to normal after two weeks.  
    My c-section scar is only about 2 inches long and it's below the bikini line.  
    I have 26 with my c/s and 28 with my VBAC.  
    I hope to follow in your footsteps. :)

My son was a c-section because he was completely stuck in breech position.  I was 28 at the time and my recovery was really easy compared to what I was expecting.  From what I understand it seems like it's a little easier when the c-section is planned rather than emergency. 
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Options
    I asked your age because of the bounce back recovery factor! One is bound to bounce back quicker at 27 than 37 so I wanted to compare feedback from those when they were younger vs. older @SusieBW‌
  • Options
    I had one with my daughter 3 years ago. I was 23 at the time. It was a painful recovery, but nothing I couldn't handle. The scar is now barely noticeable. I will have a repeat this time around as well.

BabyFetus Ticker

Married to my love on 06-02-2007

Mikah Lucille born 03-02-2011

Baby Girl Zooey due October 2014

• Options
    fisk2005 said:

I asked your age because of the bounce back recovery factor! One is bound to bounce back quicker at 27 than 37 so I wanted to compare feedback from those when they were younger vs. older @SusieBW‌

As a labor nurse, I absolutely do not believe this. While I can see why it might make sense, I see women of all ages go through both vaginal and csections and the way they personally handle the recovery is different for everyone. Someone who is 37 could have an amazing pain tolerance while a 27 year old doesn't. It's not all about age.

~Miss K born 1/8/2011~Miss I born 1/3/2013~2 angels~
    Baby #3 is on the way!  EDD 10/29/14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    SusieBWSusieBW member
    As a labor nurse, I absolutely do not believe this. While I can see why it might make sense, I see women of all ages go through both vaginal and csections and the way they personally handle the recovery is different for everyone. Someone who is 37 could have an amazing pain tolerance while a 27 year old doesn't. It's not all about age.
    Yeah, I tend to agree that recovering from any surgery is going to vary person to person more than by age.  But maybe that's cause I'm old.  I get your reasoning, though, OP.
  • Options
    That makes sense it's more so situational @noellemarie‌ however that was my reasoning for asking. If someone was 20 during their procedure and 40 now western medicine practice more than likely has changed since then. Techniques, medications etc. I appreciate the feedback it is soothing to know some didn't feel it was a nightmare @SusieBW‌
  • Options
    ss265ss265 member

I agree with this but probably because I was 33 when I had my C-section with DS1. I had a C-section due to failure to progress. After 14 hours of labor after my water broke, I was only dilated to 7cm and DS's heart rate started to drop. Turns out he was facing to the side and I wouldn't have been able to deliver him vaginally.

I had a great C-section experience. After day 4, I was able to stop taking the pain meds and pretty much had no pain after a couple of weeks. I am also lucky in that I have no pain from my scar and no numbness. My scar is long, maybe 3 inches but low so it doesn't show above underwear or anything. If you do end up having a section, they key is to walk around as soon as they let you. My epidural was taken out after 12 hours and with my doctor's approval, I made myself walk around. It was rough initially but I believe that it helped my recovery tremendously.

I am torn regarding a RCS or a VBAC for #2. Vaginal birth still scares me and even though the chances of uterine rupture are low, the consequences if it happens are really making me think hard about a VBAC.

• Options
    @ss265‌ the thought of both are scary to me but I know that vaginal birth is not optional for me due to a large fibroid in my pelvic area. I hope everything works out for you! When are you due?
  • Options
    ss265ss265 member

I'm due October 4th. It's a Saturday though and I have a feeling that DS2 will be born sometime in the week preceding it.

I have fibroids too and mine are all clumped together on the right side of my pelvic region. My OB is very skeptical of a VBAC partly because of my how my first labor went and also because of the fibroids.

Is there a chance of your fibroid moving? I'm assuming that it blocks the birth canal? With DS1, the fibroids blocked my birth canal at our anatomy scan but they had moved to the side closer to the my delivery date so they agreed to let me try for a vaginal birth.

I think it's great that you have time to get used to the idea of a section prior to delivery and have time to research it and talk to others who have been through it. I was devastated when I had my section because I was so determined to avoid it and it took me a little while to get over the disappointment of not giving birth vaginally. But like I said, my section really was not all that bad and I wouldn't mind doing it again. :)

• Options
    I had a C-section due to failure to progress. Less than 24 hours later I got sick from a virus (the one where you need a bucket and the toilet at the same time). So, I was up and out of bed frequently. Thank goodness for super size pads because jumping out of the hospital bed quickly wasn't an option. The most difficult part of the recovery was needing help getting in and out of a seated position for a week or so. I was not able to safely do it while holding the baby.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I have two large fibroids! They haven't entertained the thought of moving it as of yet but a part of me is looking forward to avoiding the pushing process that comes with labor. I know that's bad :| Yes it's blocking the canal damn fibroid! Doctor didn't believe I would get pregnant because of them! Your feedback is comforting especially since you have fibroids too! I get so depressed sometimes because as you know due to the fibroids we appear a lot more further along that we truly are. So I'm just 2 weeks shy of 20 weeks but I'm measuring at 24 weeks :(( . But my baby boy is healthy so I'm rolling with the punches! Are yours bothering you in any way? Back pains etc...mine did in the first trimester and occasionally but not as much anymore. @ss265‌ :!!
  • Options
    I'm due October 2nd and won't be opposed to an early c-section in September! =D> @ss265‌
  • Options
    I had a CS last year with my DD (due to failure to progress) and there is nothing to worry about! I was 37 years old at the time.
    I'll have to have another with this one (at 39 yrs old).

The one thing I will say that surprised me was how swollen my ankles and feel were after the surgery (for about 2 weeks).  I couldn't even fit into my shoes to leave the hospital! I had to wear flip flops which looked crazy since it was a the dead winter.

I would say, don't try to be hero... take the pain meds they offer! And make sure to use the ointment!
    The scarring should not be bad; they cut very close, practically on top of the bikini line and as long as you take care of it and take it easy on yourself you should be fine! Recovery is always easier when you have plenty of help around you and when you are taking care of yourself!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options
    ss265ss265 member
    fisk2005 said:
    I have two large fibroids! They haven't entertained the thought of moving it as of yet but a part of me is looking forward to avoiding the pushing process that comes with labor. I know that's bad :| Yes it's blocking the canal damn fibroid! Doctor didn't believe I would get pregnant because of them! Your feedback is comforting especially since you have fibroids too! I get so depressed sometimes because as you know due to the fibroids we appear a lot more further along that we truly are. So I'm just 2 weeks shy of 20 weeks but I'm measuring at 24 weeks :(( . But my baby boy is healthy so I'm rolling with the punches! Are yours bothering you in any way? Back pains etc...mine did in the first trimester and occasionally but not as much anymore. @ss265‌ :!!

I'm pretty lucky in that my fibroids don't really bother me and I don't think they cause me to show more than usual. They are on the smaller side - maybe 3cm across? I always look pretty big when pregnant though because I put on a ton of weight in the beginning so who knows if it's the weight gain or the fibroids. I do see a chiropractor once a month (and have for years) which could be why they don't really cause me any back pain.

• Options
    fisk2005fisk2005 member
    edited May 2014
    I apologize if this was mentioned already. Did all of you ladies have a full term delivery? @ss265‌ @wildflower75‌ @FamousEa‌ @DiannaVB‌ @KatieCC08‌ and the other ladies that commented that I couldn't tag ;;)
  • Options
    ss265ss265 member
    DS was born 3 days before my due date so he was full term.

• Options
    Not sure if you want my input however it would have been a little better if I weren't in labor for 26+ hours only to end up with a section. I puked the entire time they were taking her out or dry heaved, I freaked because I couldn't feel myself breath because my chest was numb, respiratory reassured us 10 times that my sats were fine. The dialuaded PCA made me so doped up I couldn't talk and then when I did I just cried. Yes, I was crazy patient for about 6 hours. 

I got a uterine infection afterward ending in c-diff. I was on antibiotics for the first 6 weeks of DD's life. However, I had a perfectly healthy well worth it DD, I wouldn't trade my not-so-fun labor experience for! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was in labor for about 30 hours before they had to section me because DD's arm was stuck. I had two epidurals, they didn't work, and apparently I was screaming throughout the c-section. Thankfully I don't remember that part. Recovery was rough, my incision got infected because they wouldn't take the staples out (they are SO doing sutures next time), but I honestly don't want a vaginal birth after having seen a bunch of each. I'm doing a scheduled c/s for this one. I'm hoping it won't be as rough because I won't have to labor first and I'll have a spinal instead of an epi. I was 26 for that one and will be 28 for this one. DD was born at 38.5 weeks.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I know not knowing a definitive date is scary! My fear is having him before my baby shower and not having the bassinet or other things I requested on my registry! I'm due 10/2. Did you purchase anything early in fear of delivering before your EDD? @Talkativ15‌
  • Options
    slsl509slsl509 member
    I was 33 when I had an unplanned c-section with an epidural at 39w5d. I might have been really lucky but my recovery was really easy. The lifting restrictions and driving restrictions were the most bothersome part of recovery. 2 years before I had a vertical laparotomy to remove a 5 lb, football-sized cancerous tumor of my ovary.  Compared to that, the c-section was a cakewalk.

Not sure what I'll do for this baby yet. It wouldn't take much persuasion for me to have a repeat but I want to try VBAC.
  • Options
    I had a csection with DS. He was head down and ready to go at my 39 week appointment and when I went in for an ultrasound at my 40 week appointment, he was breech.

Csection was easy and quick. I got to hold DS immediatly while we were in the OR because I wanted to do skin to skin. I remember that I didn't even realize they had started the procedure when they were about to pull him out so it wasn't very scary even though I thought it would be.

I had a very easy recovery. Felt back to my normal self with in a couple days.

This baby will be a RCS because my doctor does not do VBACs.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I had a c-section with my first.  She was born at 40w3d.  I was 31 years old.

I have to say that my recovery was fairly easy.  It was hard while in the hospital, so I was very grateful for the fact that my husband was able to stay in the hospital with me and help me with showering or getting in and out of bed.  I took my pain meds religiously on time while in the hospital so luckily I didn't feel any pain.  But by the time I went home 4 days after c/s, I didn't really need pain meds anymore.  The driving restrictions sucked, but ultimately no big deal because I was just so wrecked by having a newborn at home that I didn't feel up to driving.  The worst part of delivery was trying to recover from the stuff that happened as a result of the labor process, not from the c-section itself.

• Options
    I have had two c-sections and for me they were both very tough recoveries. My second was by far much worse. I was taking pain meds like clock work but the pain was still intense. I was 26 and 27 for the surgeries. Like others have said it is important not to over do it and keep up on the meds. I also believe each person is unique and the way their bodies handle and recover from this major surgery will differ and depend on a lot of different things. Both of my pregnancies were full term too.
    Mother of two sweet boys. One on earth and one in Heaven.  Sweet Baby Wyatt 3/29/13-9/10/13
  • Options
    I'll be having my second c-section. Last time I was induced 3 times but my ds wouldn't go into the birth canal. We finally decided to do a c-section and when he was born we found out why. His head was too big (big head like daddy). He also has broad shoulder and that would have been a challenge to get out and he was 9 lbs 12 oz. It took me about two to three weeks to recover. I ended up getting an infection after I came home and had to go back to the hospital for Iv antibiotics for four days, however that's not normal. I had a fever and ignored it for a few days and it got really bad. I was two days past due when I had ds and I was 30. I will be doing another c-section this time because I doubt this baby will be any smaller than ds and therefore it's safer.
  • Options
    I had an emergency c-section with my daughter.  She was 40w1d and I was 29 years old.  Her cord was wrapped around her neck 4 times, so she wasn't able to descend.  It was tightening around her neck during contractions, putting her in distress and causing her heart rate to drop. 

Honestly, my c-section wasn't the best experience (it was all very rushed and scary, I panicked because my chest was numb and I couldn't feel myself breathing, I didn't get to see my daughter for a half an hour...and when I "held" her, my arms were still numb).  I'm leaning toward doing a repeat c-section this time, though, because I think I'd rather have a scheduled one than risk another emergency one.  I'm hoping the recovery will be a little easier too.     
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    fisk2005 said:
    I apologize if this was mentioned already. Did all of you ladies have a full term delivery? @ss265‌ @wildflower75‌ @FamousEa‌ @DiannaVB‌ @KatieCC08‌ and the other ladies that commented that I couldn't tag ;;)
    Yes, I was at 38 weeks when she was born.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options
    I was 42 weeks with DD1 and 40 weeks with DD2
  • Options
    fisk2005 said:
    Yes. I was 40 weeks 3 days at the time of induction.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I had an emergency c-section with my daughter.  She was 40w1d and I was 29 years old.  Her cord was wrapped around her neck 4 times, so she wasn't able to descend.  It was tightening around her neck during contractions, putting her in distress and causing her heart rate to drop. 

Honestly, my c-section wasn't the best experience (it was all very rushed and scary, I panicked because my chest was numb and I couldn't feel myself breathing, I didn't get to see my daughter for a half an hour...and when I "held" her, my arms were still numb).  I'm leaning toward doing a repeat c-section this time, though, because I think I'd rather have a scheduled one than risk another emergency one.  I'm hoping the recovery will be a little easier too.     

This reminded me! My arms were numb/felt weak when I held ds for the first time and they had left me alone to go do other stuff. If anyone has a c-section make sure someone stays with you the first few times you hold your LO. I thought I was going to drop him and I was panicking!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"