October 2014 Moms
Options

Readers' Check-In

Hello fellow book nerds!

It's been a while since we had one of these (I think).  What have you been reading recently?  How is it?

Feel free to ask for or share recommendations.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Readers' Check-In

• Options
    Ugh I've been having the worst time finding good books to read lately! 

I read "the fault in our stars" and it wasn't fantastic but kept me entertained for a few nights.

Currently reading "you should have known" and it's keeping me interested!
  • Options
    SusieBWSusieBW member
    edited May 2014
    Oh good!  I've been meaning to post this, but it keeps slipping my mind!

I'm currently reading Five Days at Memorial by Sheri Fink.  It's about the events at Memorial Medical Center in New Orleans during and in the days immediately following Hurricane Katrina.  it's fascinating and heartbreaking and appalling all at the same time.  I'm not sure it's fair to say I'm enjoying it, but I can't stop reading it.

I recently read The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara, which was on a rec (I THINK) from someone here.  I thought it was just okay.  Based on reviews I read, I think I was expecting something far more twisted and messed up, but I found it fairly predictable, yet interesting at the same time.  I'd love to discuss this one with anyone who's read it.

I recently listened to Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.  Oh. My Goodness.  This book was completely amazing, and I was sorry that I waited so long to read it.  What an inspiring, fascinating life Louie Zamperini led.  I will forever recommend this to anyone and everyone who will listen.  I love non-fiction, and I love reading about WW2, so maybe I'm biased, but he has an amazing story, and this book was well-written and just really, really good.

One more!  I also just finished Joyland by Stephen King, and I really, really enjoyed it.  It wasn't scary like some of his books, and it was a really quick read.  It was just a really good story - SK is a great storyteller.  It's about a NH college kid that goes to work at an amusement park in the south for a summer, and finds out there was a murder in the haunted house a few years before and the dead woman's ghost is still haunting the place, and he decides he wants to figure it out.  I don't know, I really liked it and I'd recommend it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm in the middle of the Goldfinch right now and I'm loving it so far. I'll be looking for ideas on what to read next!
    Me: 30 H: 30, Married Since 10/2010, TTC #1 in 12/2013, BFP 2/13/2014, Baby M 10/16/14
    It's a girl!
  • Options
    While flying to and from Vegas last weekend I read two books co-written by David Levithan:  Will Grayson, Will Grayson (co-written by John Green) and Invisibility (co-written by Andrea Cremer).  I would recommend Will Grayson, Will Grayson but maybe not the other one...the premise was interesting but I don't think the execution was all there.

Yesterday I started A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki on the very enthusiastic recommendation of a friend.  I'm not too far yet but it's pretty good and shows promise.  I know Japanese and used to live in Japan so it's interesting in that respect too.  And I think it's getting metafictional...and I do like things that are meta...
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I recently finished "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. Let's just say the twist was something I was not expecting. Making another trip up to Barnes and Nobles soon. There's a lovely woman who always gives me good books to buy.
  • Options
    I recently finished "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn. Let's just say the twist was something I was not expecting. Making another trip up to Barnes and Nobles soon. There's a lovely woman who always gives me good books to buy.
    Did you like it? I absolutely hated that book with a passion. 

I am finishing up Looking for Alaska which I am loving. Glad I finally got around to it. YA Lit.
    I am teaching Tale of Two Cities right now and I just love that book. I may just keep rereading it.
    On my to read list next is Shades of Grey (not fifty shades of). 

• Options
    raynesraynes member
    @SusieBW, I keep meaning to read that SK book, I'll have to add it to the list for sure.  I'm a few SK books behind these days!

I'm currently on, um, book 4 (??) of the Mortal Instruments series.  It's finally starting to get a bit repetitive, but it's still better than most YA I've read in the recent past.

I'm also reading Ina May Gaskin's book about childbirth, but that's way less fun.

Audiobook wise I just finished The Son by Philipp Meyer and I highly recommend it, especially as an audiobook.  Before that I'd tried to get into 100 Years of Solitude and maybe made it half an hour it.  It was just not good.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    SusieBWSusieBW member

Same here.  I think it's going to make a great movie, but I really didn't like the book at all.  I despised every single character.  I only stuck with it because I thought the ending would make it all worth it.  Nope.

I read her Dark Places, though, and completely loved that one.
  • Options
    I rented this on Amazon for my Kindle. I would have paid for it to have it. It's the author's first book and the 2nd in the series just came out. I am so getting it.

Timebound (The Chronos Files, Book 1) by Rysa Walker

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    @MrsSarahRenee I really did enjoy it. I like twists and drama.

I've been wanting to read "Looking For Alaska" because I enjoyed "The Fault in Our Stars"
  • Options
    I loved Gone Girl! Hated looking for alaska though lol. Funny how we all have such different preferences, we are probably  no help to each other :0)
  • Options
    ss265ss265 member

Add me to the "Unbroken" fan club! I listened to it during my commute and it was amazing! I'm listening to "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown right now and it's just not as good but I think it just didn't make a good audio book.

I'm also trying to read "Happiest Toddler On The Block" to help me understand DS1 better. :)

• Options
    femailfemail member
    I'm currently reading Private LA by James Patterson & Mark Sullivan. So far, I'm really liking it!

Looking forward to adding some of your recommendations to my list!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Gone Girl completely threw me for a loop in the ending. All the characters were equally disturbing but I thought it was a good book. Not your normal read!
    I think the next one I'm going to pick up is looking for Alaska. I also liked the Fault in our stars. I might be behind- but I also liked the Divergent series.
  • Options
    SusieBW said:

Same here.  I think it's going to make a great movie, but I really didn't like the book at all.  I despised every single character.  I only stuck with it because I thought the ending would make it all worth it.  Nope.

I read her Dark Places, though, and completely loved that one.

I think it will make a good movie too. If you make me read a book that takes hours and is a more strenuous journey... I need to like ONE character!

I loved fault in our stars too pp! Movie comes out soon!

• Options
    MrsSinner402MrsSinner402 member
    edited May 2014
    raynes said:

@SusieBW, I keep meaning to read that SK book, I'll have to add it to the list for sure.  I'm a few SK books behind these days!

I'm currently on, um, book 4 (??) of the Mortal Instruments series.  It's finally starting to get a bit repetitive, but it's still better than most YA I've read in the recent past.

I'm also reading Ina May Gaskin's book about childbirth, but that's way less fun.

Audiobook wise I just finished The Son by Philipp Meyer and I highly recommend it, especially as an audiobook.  Before that I'd tried to get into 100 Years of Solitude and maybe made it half an hour it.  It was just not good.
    I'm anxiously awaiting the 6th and final bookof the Mortal Instruments to come out at the end of this month! I read the other 5 and finished in October. Had I known I had to wait this long I would have waited to read the others. I don't think they're literary genius, but I have a super crush on Jace. ;;)

ETA words

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Options
    raynesraynes member

I'm anxiously awaiting the 6th and final bookof the Mortal Instruments to come out at the end of this month! I read the other 5 and finished in October. Had I known I had to wait this long I would have waited to read the others. I don't think they're literary genius, but I have a super crush on Jace. ;;) ETA words
    Ok, just looked it up, and yes, I'm on book 5.  This seems like excellent timing on my part.  Ha.

My daycare provider named her son Jace.  NMS as a non-nickname name, but meh.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am so jealous that you all have time to read.  I don't really pick up books until summer vacation.  I will have to add a few of these books to my list for the summer. 

My FurBaby Dexter 4/13
    TTC since 07/12
    MC - 03/13
    BFP - 2/9/14 EDD 10/17/14
  • Options
    I hate admitting my YA obsession lol but I am reading the Vampire Academy series right now and keep catching myself binge reading...luckily I stay at home so I can afford the time somewhat. I think I will give Joyland a try next though...sounds interesting and I love Stephen King way too much lol. I also need to read It..i've never been able to finish, but I just feel like it's one I have to get through eventually lol
  • Options
    SusieBWSusieBW member
    I'm almost finished finally reading The Help. I've really enjoyed it. 

I like to alternate something kind of fluffy with something more serious, so my next book will probably be something non-fiction. 
    If you haven't read Unbroken yet . . .
  • Options
    ashcakes921ashcakes921 member
    edited May 2014
    @savcooper‌ no worries, it seems like we all have YA streaks.

I started the mortal instrument series (major plot twist in first book) and also the divergent series. I have so many books I limit myself to purchases with money or gift cards given for holidays/bbirthdays so maybe I'll dive deeper into those

Right now I'm rereading the Hobbit. I had to read it for school in 8th grade and with all the movies out or coming out, it rekindled the desire to read it
  • Options
    I just finished The Light Between Oceans, and it was okay, but I wouldn't really recommend it.  It felt a little slow to me.

I don't know what I'm going to read next, but I have a huge list for summer.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I am again working on a series I have been reading off and on since high school : "the wheel of time". The final book came out last year and I am determined to finish it this time. I am on book 9 of 14 + a prequel.

• Options

I am finishing up Looking for Alaska which I am loving. Glad I finally got around to it. YA Lit.
    I am teaching Tale of Two Cities right now and I just love that book. I may just keep rereading it.
    On my to read list next is Shades of Grey (not fifty shades of). 

YES. Tale of Two Cities.  I just re-read that a few months ago, and I still tear up at the end when you-know-who is all heroic and you get to the "it is a far, far better thing...." part.  Dickens is so damn good at getting to his readers' emotions.
    BabyFruit Ticker

"I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it."
    - Mae West
  • Options
    These aren't necessarily new releases, but lately I've enjoyed:

"Shantaram": Exciting, action-packed, philosophical, semi-true novel about an Australian former criminal living in Bombay. Makes me want to travel and have adventures.  Occasionally the prose gets a little florid, but the author writes with sincerity - definitely a page-turner.

"The Marriage Plot": A poignent, unapologetic character study about the transition from immaturity to self-awareness. I really enjoyed this (and there are plenty of coming-of-age type novels that I detest) because even though the characters make some terrible choices, you can relate to them.

"Where'd You Go, Bernadette": This is the funniest book I've ever read. Absolutely, completely, hilarious. Kind of a mystery, kind of a satire, kind of a mixed-media project. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

"I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it."
    - Mae West
  • Options
    I'm really enjoying The Life List: A Novel by Lori Nelson Spielman right now. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"