December 2014 Moms
Options

Most surprising thing about pregnancy?

What has been the most surprising/unexpected thing you've experienced in pregnancy so far?

I'd have to say how quickly sleep went from all night with no issues for the last 29 years to so much insomnia & waking up frequently & trouble falling/staying asleep. I knew it gets tough later but did not think it would happen so soon!

BabyFruit Ticker
photo ad6b5133-7684-4a08-9346-36b261d054ec_zpsfe39c48f.jpg

Our furbaby, Claire :)
photo 296a1ae1-0286-4222-a8fe-91761163d665_zps7e7d024e.jpg

Re: Most surprising thing about pregnancy?

• Options
    I swing back and forth from completely exhausted to insomnia. Amd it's super hard to find a comfortable spot if I'm not exhausted.
    I'm also surprised at how much this has affected my patience thus far. I work in a nursing home and I LOVE my residents, but I'm finding that I'm losing my patience with them a lot more than I used to.
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ajlmomajlmom member
    That it's actually common to lose weight in the first trimester
    Pregnant with #2

IVF cycle 1 (Nov 2013)- freeze all d/t OHSS
    FET #1-BFN
    FET #2-BFP baby girl born Dec 2014
    FET #3-Sept 2017 BFP but miscarried at 6 weeks

IVF cycle 2 (Oct 2017)- freeze all again d/t OHSS
    FET #1 BPF, pregnant with a singleton due Sept 2018

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I found out with my first pregnancy at 8 wks (bc I was a carefree college student in the summer and not keeping track of anything, much less my periods). I never felt sick or tired or anything. I only maybe slightly felt nauseous once and it was vitamin-on-empty-stomach induced...

Surprise-
    This time: Why do I feel so queasy all the time and why is EVERYTHING. SO. GROSS??!
  • Options
    How much I despise being pregnant this time. My first pregnancy, I didn't feel great during the 1st tri, but I was happy and 2nd and 3rd tris were a breeze. I am so effing miserable right now. Sick since day 1, exhausted, and completely worthless. I'm hoping it will get better but right now I can't wait for it to be over.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I'm surprised at how good I feel. I always imagined having more pregnancy symptoms. I also didn't realize how crazy my hormones would be. Mood swings like crazy, I'm so snappy and my usual sense of humor is largely out the door.

DS1: 12/17/2014
    DS2: born sleeping at 26 weeks on 8/8/2016 due to chromosomal deletion
    Pregnant with baby 3 -  EDD 9/14/2017

• Options
    The differences between this pregnancy and the one with DD are night and day. I had no symptoms or MS with DD. This time I've been sick daily since I got the two lines! I've also gained 7lbs already. With DD I lost weight first tri.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • Options
    achickpea said:
    I guess I'm surprised by how difficult it is to be pregnant with a toddler. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but I need more naps than he does!
    This.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm shocked at how well I feel most of the time. I am so thankful to not be sick and only have waves of nausea here and there. I'm shocked at how bloated I've become so quickly, but I would think that relates to being more hungry than sick!
  • Options
    I'm very surprised with my emotions I cry all the time. I hope that means a girl? No? Maybe? :)
  • Options
    How emotional I am! I ordered my favorite pizza at Nordstrom cafe (the only thing I like on the menu) and 30 minutes later they tell me they can't get the dough to rise correctly so I need to order something else. It was like the end of the world for me hahaha.
  • Options
    This time I am surprised how much my hormones are effecting me. My past two weren't bad but this time I feel like a reading lunatic most of the time.
  • Options
    Having never been pregnant before, I have been so surprised that all the unpleasant feelings of the first trimester started RIGHT AWAY.  I guess I thought that generally you'd be pregnant for a little while and the symptoms would start gradually appearing?  Writing that out, it sounds pretty dumb, haha!  I was very surprised, though, that I felt hungry, heartburn-y, nauseous, tired, crampy and sore boobed instantly.
    Me: 34 - PCOS | DH: 30 - everything looks good!
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    March 2014 - 1st medicated cycle - 5mg Femara CD 3-7 = BFP! EDD 12/26/14

It's a boy!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Oh, and I have been surprised at how much/how easily I cry now.  And how poorly I sleep!
    Me: 34 - PCOS | DH: 30 - everything looks good!
    TTC #1 since 10/13
    March 2014 - 1st medicated cycle - 5mg Femara CD 3-7 = BFP! EDD 12/26/14

It's a boy!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I would say how tired I am. I feel lazy :-< I'm also oddly hungry then feel sick when I eat. After I eat I feel hungry but like I are too much. Lol it's like my stomach is like me - can't make up it's mind.
  • Options
    With DS I didn't have MS. Felt pretty good most of my pregnancy (until the extreme indigestion ruined eating and sleeping towards the end of the pregnancy) this time around, I've been pretty nauseous since I found out I was PG and so bitchy. I can't stand people, especially half the ones I work with. Everything gets me angry or upset. My DH is a smart ass and his humor is not fairing well with me at the moment. I just want to cry when he makes a joke, even though I know he's not serious.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    How easily I cry! I'm not a cryer, but holy cow, my rear ducts are on overdrive!
  • Options
    That I am so bloated I look 7 months pregnant at 8 weeks :-/

That I am a big baby when it comes to dealing with first trimester symptoms

That I have already gained weight... Wah!
  • Options

How fast my body hair grows. I swear if I just shaved my legs two hours later I've got prickles. I also have dark "fuzz?" appearing everywhere. It's pretty obnoxious. I feel like a pregnant peach.

Me too! I'm ready to just give up shaving my armpits. And I have random long witch hairs every where.
  • Options
    beachy6beachy6 member

Really just the fact that I'm pregnant has been odd to deal with and the most surprising. I'm not sure what I expected from doing IVF, but I was pretty sure it would never work!

I agree with the sleep issues. I wake up around 2 or 3 to pee and then I'm up for the duration. Then, I have to go teach middle schoolers all day! That's hard on no sleep!!

BabyFruit Ticker

ttc #2 since 2004 Me (35): Stage 3 Endo, DH (34): High DNA Frag

IVF/ICSI #2: April 2014: BFP!!!!!!

ET of 2 great quality embryos. + BFP on 9dp5dt. Beta #1 (10dp5dt): 257, Beta #2 (14dp5dt): 1561,

Beta #3 (21dp5d5): 8,172. Wow. It seems this is actually working. Shocked beyond belief.

1st u/s @6w5d: Baby A hb 124, Baby B hb 127 (Both measuring perfectly!)

Lost baby A. Praying that baby B stays healthy. Baby B hb 175 at 11 weeks

It's a GIRL!!!

imageimageimage

My Blog

• Options
    pjswifepjswife member
    I was honestly pretty naive about pregnancy and have been surprised at how difficult it can be. Good thing I'm a fast learner :/
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    MD12314MD12314 member
    This is my first pregnancy and I've been surprised by how uncertain and stressful these early weeks are. I haven't had many strong symptoms so I constantly am worried if I am still pregnant and anxiously waiting for the next appt. I haven't yet been able to really enjoy the experience :/
  • Options
    How much I sleep. Gah. And how much I hate food.
    *TEAM PINK*
    TTC#1 Since November 2013 // BFP March 27, 2014 // EDD December 11, 2014

BabyFetus Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    How hungry I am ALL OF THE TIME , I definitely expected this much later, same with how much I have to pee. I might as well sit on the toilet all day, never wipe, and save myself on toilet paper. I expected to be sick more, sure I'm nauseous a LOT, but I've only thrown up once. I also didn't expect the gas and bloat. I've given up broccoli. :-(
  • Options
    Just at how different this pregnancy is from my last one. All was fine until I hit 6 weeks then BAM! I'm queasy all day, I can't eat my favorite food (bacon), I'm tired all day and can't sleep at night.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ZAP12ZAP12 member
    How similar my pregnancies are so far. I was hoping ms would be nicer to me this time and not show up, but here I am again. Maybe it will end earlier than last time?
    Baby Z: 5/21/12

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

**December 2014 September Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall - Fall Leaves and Apple Cider**
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely how intense everything feels. My aversion to food right now is unbelievable. Any kind of food. I wish i had some type of craving so i can actually WANT to eat something and maybe be able to keep it down. I have to force myself to eat crackers everything is just so disgusting. Oh lets not even talk about my hormones. Im usually really like happy and easy going but im not even going to pretend like i haven't been a complete bitch lately. And anybody who hasn't been pregnant really doesn't understand that i cant help it. Its the hormones. - so yeah, definitely the m/s and the bitch fest. - also im surprised because i kind of hate being pregnant because im so miserable. I thought i would love it.. Maybe when i hit the second trimester..
  • Options
    I'm normally one of those people who are constantly bundled up and complaining it's cold, so hot flashes have been a big surprise to me. There's been nights that my poor H has had to deal with the house being 50-55° (and we live in MI so nights get pretty darn cold). Also the body aches, I constantly feel like I did a full body workout the day before.
  • Options

Definitely how intense everything feels. My aversion to food right now is unbelievable. Any kind of food. I wish i had some type of craving so i can actually WANT to eat something and maybe be able to keep it down. I have to force myself to eat crackers everything is just so disgusting. Oh lets not even talk about my hormones. Im usually really like happy and easy going but im not even going to pretend like i haven't been a complete bitch lately. And anybody who hasn't been pregnant really doesn't understand that i cant help it. Its the hormones. - so yeah, definitely the m/s and the bitch fest. - also im surprised because i kind of hate being pregnant because im so miserable. I thought i would love it.. Maybe when i hit the second trimester..

I feel similarly... Yet even some women who have been pg don't seem to understand. My mom and sister both claim they never had morning sickness and were NEVER moody due to hormones. Either they have amnesia or won the first trimester lottery. I feel like tey think I'm exaggerating and making excuses.
  • Options
    Rear ducts hahahaha

Kieran born 21.1.10

Angel baby 1 lost 18.6.13

Angel baby 2 lost 30.10.13

• Options
    That has to be worse if your mom & sisters cant even understand. Im sorry :/ my mom might be the only one who gets it because she was on bed rest her whole pregnancy starting at 9 weeks with me because she was so sick. I'll probably be the same way. But ik how it feels my best friend tells me im "2 seconds pregnant" so i cant be that sick and im just like you have no idea. - good thing you have us on here! Most of us understand!
  • Options
    The fact that I had no M/S (I'm almost in week 10 *knock on wood*) and how extreme everything is.  Extreme smells, extreme emotions (commercials and YouTube videos make me cry on a daily basis), extreme exhaustion, extreme dislike of certain foods.
  • Options
    My clueless H who just doesn't understand me right now. I also second those who are suprised at how crappy they feel. I feel like crap 90% of the time. Today was a very good day for me. No real nausea/ food aversions until dinner time. The constant nausea/ fatigue is starting to wear on me. I cried to my mother begging her to come helpme w/ house since it is such a disaster. Due to appointments and trip she can't come till next week.

H is even upset at how much I sleep since I tend to go nap and ignore him. Poor H, but he really just doesn't get it. He's clueless and thinks me reading up on baby/ pregnancy is giving me phantom symptoms and an excuse to be lazy.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    On a side note it took my sister three pregnancies and severe ongoing sickness (mind blanking on name now) requiring iv and artificial nutrition for her H to finally "get it."
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    This is my fifth pregnancy and hopefully third baby.. And this pregnancy has been surprising. I never had m/s with any other except this one. And it got so bad at 7 weeks i was put on iv fluids and zofran after that.. Now at 9 weeks.. M/s has disappeared. It has been gone for 3 days.. I don't miss it at all. But i just need some sort of symptom to ease my mind... Specially after 2 vonsecutive losses.
    BabyFetus Ticker

6th pregnancy, 4th baby

BFP 12/08/2015

Beta #1 12/08/2015 (3097)

Beta #2 12/11/2015 (6033)

• Options

My clueless H who just doesn't understand me right now. I also second those who are suprised at how crappy they feel. I feel like crap 90% of the time. Today was a very good day for me. No real nausea/ food aversions until dinner time. The constant nausea/ fatigue is starting to wear on me. I cried to my mother begging her to come helpme w/ house since it is such a disaster. Due to appointments and trip she can't come till next week.

H is even upset at how much I sleep since I tend to go nap and ignore him. Poor H, but he really just doesn't get it. He's clueless and thinks me reading up on baby/ pregnancy is giving me phantom symptoms and an excuse to be lazy.

that last bit would be rewarded with a throat punch.
    pesky hormones ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"