October 2014 Moms
Options

WWYD? - DH sick

Ok, ladies. My DH came home from work this morning with a mild fever and chest congestion. He has been complaining of an itchy throat for 1-2 days, but didn't seem too bothered by it, but it hit him hard this morning.

DH and DS had their flu shot, and I'm praying that this is just a cold because I actually missed MY flu shot this year, and keep forgetting to ask my OB for it! At this point it's too late if this IS the flu (honestly, even reading the charts that tell you the difference is not enough for me to know which this is) for me to go get the vaccine somewhere and avoid it.

I've been hanging out as close as wives do with DH this week, so I'm not sure distancing myself at this point would make a difference. I have also started coughing a bit and have that same tickle in my throat he was complaining about.

So here's my question; WWYD? Anyone know what I can do BEFORE this hits me (if it does...FX that it doesn't!)? Or do I just keep up with my water intake and relax? I hate this "wait and see" stuff!
imageimage

Re: WWYD? - DH sick

• Options
    And FWIW, I'm not asking about medication. I should have called the doctor earlier but I forgot they close at noon on Fridays, and I don't want to bother the emergency on-call hospital doc with a "what if I get a cold?" kind of question.
    imageimage
  • Options
    ADH0906ADH0906 member
    Wait and see sucks, but I think that's about the best option you've got. Staying super hydrated and going on disinfectant patrol probably won't hurt anything. Hope that it passes you by!

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh no! Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do now other than remain hydrated, wash your hands FREQUENTLY and try to get enough rest. The flu and almost all colds are most contagious before the person truly "comes down with it." I wish we could mask and glove up and avoid it, but it's not practical.
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    Married 8/09 to my love
    Our little shamrocks:
    M~4/11   W~12/12   E~due 10/14

• Options
    Sounds just like the cold I had a few weeks ago. I really hope you don't get it because it sucked. I used a netti pot at the first sign and slept as much as possible. My doctor told me I could take regular claritin which helped a bit with the stuffy nose and sneezy feeling - I ended up only taking one dose because I was MISERABLE. I got the tickle in my throat and fatigue on a Wednesday, then the worst of it came on Friday and lasted through Sunday, then I felt much better on Monday and it was pretty much completely gone by Thursday. 

I swear by the netti pot though. My hubby didn't use it and is still fighting the cough a bit, and he got the cold a week before I did, and I have absolutely no cough and no congestion.

But again, I really hope you don't get it!
    ---

• Options
    Lele74Lele74 member
    edited May 2014
    I'm in the same boat. DH is acting like he has something like the flu and I didn't get my shot... He stayed home from work and slept a lot of the day yesterday.
    I'm just drinking lots of water and eating fruits and veggies- a little more than usual to make sure I'm not lacking nutrients. Oh, and I'm trying to take it easy and not get runned down. Easy for me since I'm not working and I don't have a kid yet.
    Fx you end up being fine!

Eta- words

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    FX for you too, @Lele74‌!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited May 2014
    @teresaide Googling netti pot now. I have to admit I've heard of them but never seen one...

ETA: Nope. Not gonna happen. I'm pretty sure I'd drown myself with that thing!
    imageimage
  • Options
    @Emerald27 I bought this one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052VMP14/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and was happy with it. And no need to buy the special packets of salt/saline because you can just use baking soda and salt that you probably already have at home.

I did it about 2-3 times a day. Its relatively uncomfortable the first couple times, and takes some getting used to, but you just breathe out of your mouth and make sure your head is tipped forward enough that it doesn't run down the back of your throat. It really clears you out and cleans your sinuses which I think helps you get over your cold faster.
    ---

• Options
    @teresaide It sounds awesome and like it would make a huge difference...but the thought of pouring water into my nose freaks me out!
    imageimage
  • Options
    teresaideteresaide member
    edited May 2014
    @Emerald27 It freaked me out too, but honestly - I became desperate since I couldn't use a decongestant at all and was going through an entire box of tissues every 8 hours and wasn't able to sleep because I couldn't breathe. It was a nightmare.

ETA: Wanted to add that after using one, I swear by it! But totally understand the uncomfortableness you might have with it. My mom won't do it either, but as long as you breathe out of your mouth, it's easy.
    ---

• Options
    lct2008lct2008 member
    Definitely a Netti pot will help keep you clear. I normally just pound vitamin c hard. Like I'll use a few emergenc s in my water through out the day and pills too. And sleep if you can.
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    For every cold that I catch from my husband, there are about two that I don't. He's been sick twice during my pregnancy, and I thankfully managed to avoid becoming infected. I didn't do anything special to avoid his germs, just kept up with my usual Howard Hughes level of hand washing and sanitizer use. I hope you stay well!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ok, so this is a chest cold for DH so far. No nasal congestion at all. Just a yucky throat and cough. Will the neti pot make a difference if you aren't stuffy?

For the record, I'm not agreeing to one yet. Still thinking scary drowning thoughts...
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

Ok, so this is a chest cold for DH so far. No nasal congestion at all. Just a yucky throat and cough. Will the neti pot make a difference if you aren't stuffy?

For the record, I'm not agreeing to one yet. Still thinking scary drowning thoughts...

No they really only help with nasal congestion because they flush you out. They are uncomfortable but work really well if you are "stuffed up". I think I have what you DH has. But other than it being annoying that I cough because I can't stand the tickle I feel well. Fx for you! I know my DH seems like he is dying when he has a cold.... My mom and I call it the "man cold".

• Options
    I have been using a neti pot for a couple of years. I still use it when I'm not congested because I feel like it washes the yucky stuff out before it takes hold and makes me feel worse. You can buy them at the grocery store or a drug store. I always use the packets because to me it's easier than measuring and making my own saline solution. It's weird at first but it's worth the minute or two of weirdness and you get used to it. It took me over a year to convince DH to try it and now he uses his more than I do.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    Just a reminder if you do use a Nettie pot make sure you buy some Distilled water! I have an electric one which I also swear by.  
  • Options
    To ease your fears about the flu: It's very, very late in the season for flu to still be going around. And your description of his symptoms sound nothing like the flu. Having a scratchy throat for a day or two is the classic beginning to the common cold. IF you do catch it, you might be miserable for a couple of days, but you won't have to worry about baby.

I'm just getting over a nasty, nasty cold that my whole family had... it was awful, and I hope you don't have to go through it! I made lots of hot water with lemon and honey and breathed in the steam to help with congestion. Good luck.
    Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
  • Options
    I am having the same issue.  I sent my DH to the doctor and he has strep... so he is walking around the house wearing a mask, and hanging out in the man cave, he will also sleep in the guest room tonight as he is contagious until tomorrow.  I have a little cough but I am not sure if it is the allergies I have or what.  But I have disinfected everything I can think of in the house and I also had my students help disinfect the entire classroom today. 

My FurBaby Dexter 4/13
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC since 07/12
    MC - 03/13
    BFP - 2/9/14 EDD 10/17/14
  • Options
    Lots of fluids, hand washing and vitamin c.. my kids have been coughing and puking and sleeping in my bed for the last week... Im just waiting for disaster to strike.. :/ good luck! Hope everyone feels better!
  • Options
    I have never used a netti pot either because I am also afraid of drowning yself. :) You could also try gargling with salt water for your itchy throat. Not sure if there is science behind it, but it usually helps me a little. I hope you all feel better soon!

Me- 36 DH- 40 ***TTC since 1/13

BFP #1 - 4/3/13 *** EDD 12/13/13 ***M/C 4/12/13 @5wks 1 day

BFP#2 - 1/29/14 ***EDD 10/11/14

It's a GIRL!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    vreker said:

FX that it isn't the flu. I had the swine flu while pregnant with DS. I was pretty sure I was going to die. I would say lots of vitamin C (at my grocery store they have these bolt house farms smoothies that have a ton of vitamin C in them and they are yummy). Also, get your flu shot while pregnant. Our LOs will be born around the start of flu season, but won't be able to get the vaccination right away, so the only protection they get is from us.

Since I keep forgetting to ask for it, I put it on my list today of things to ask for at my next appt. I hope they have some available at the end of May... :-/
    imageimage
  • Options

To ease your fears about the flu: It's very, very late in the season for flu to still be going around. And your description of his symptoms sound nothing like the flu. Having a scratchy throat for a day or two is the classic beginning to the common cold. IF you do catch it, you might be miserable for a couple of days, but you won't have to worry about baby.

I'm just getting over a nasty, nasty cold that my whole family had... it was awful, and I hope you don't have to go through it! I made lots of hot water with lemon and honey and breathed in the steam to help with congestion. Good luck.

There's actually been a huge outbreak of influenza type B. And fevers aren't typical for colds. I'd definitely keep your distance. Either way, your H is still contagious. Fingers crossed for you!!!! I hate the waiting too!!

Fall 2013: Fertility treatments = first BFP!!
    07/23/2013 Drew Steven born at 5lb 12oz

02/10/14: Surprise, spontaneous BFP!
    EDD: 10/11/2014 Stick, baby, stick!!

• Options
    starla487 said:

The thing is, if you are already experiencing some symptoms, you won't be able to get the shot right now. Chances are, you were already exposed to whatever is going around your household days ago and it's been incubating. So now it's just a matter of treating symptoms. Has your DH gone to a doc yet to rule out the flu?

No doc yet. He's only been sick for a day. So far I'm doing ok. Here's hoping I stay healthy!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:

Man, I don't know what you could do while pregnant that is safe :( My mom swears by Zicam and I think it's just a spray for your nose but again, not sure if it's ok.

Lots of vitamin C, water and keep your distance!

This. My DH introduced me to Zicam, and it really is awesome. You start taking it before/at first sign of symptoms, and it definitely makes a difference. They have it in chewable tablets and soft chews also if you don't like sprays. I'm sure a pharmacist could tell you if it's safe for pregnancy.

With that, vitamin C and LOTS of water. Steer clear of the sickies and sanitize door handles, faucets, etc with some Lysol wipes!

FX it's not the flu and you can avoid it!
    28 years old. Married 5 years.
    DD born Oct 2014 via C-Section (footling breech)
    Baby #2 (AND #3...SURPRISE!) Due Nov 17, 2016. Found out it was twins at 18+5! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"