October 2014 Moms
Options

How much tylenol?

edited May 2014 in October 2014 Moms
I know my dr said could have ES Tylenol, but I thought for sure she said I could only have 1a day?? I know you arent drs... My office is closed now. Does anyone know what their Dr told them?

Re: How much tylenol?

• Options

When I asked about this, the doc said, too much of a good thing is never a good thing and most things in moderation are okay...so I'd say 1 is fine, I'm not sure if I personally would take one everyday, but that's just me.

• Options
    My dr told me to just follow the directions on the box. So if it says 1 every however many hours and don't exceed 4 in a day, that's what I'd do.
    Me- 29, DH - 28
    BFP #1 9/27/2013, EDD 6/10/2014, Mmc 11/01/2013, completed with misoprostol 11/8/2013
    BFP #2 2/5/2014, EDD 10/15/2014, Lillian Verletta born 10/23/14
    Daisypath Friendship tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    PAL January Siggy Challenge: Good Advice
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ok. Whats throwing me off is that she prescribed my Vicadin (for really bad back pain) and I can have up to two of those every 4 hours. And that stuff is stronger. I would just take that but it knocks you out and I have somewhere I have to be tonight.
  • Options
    @theresat858‌ That's really interesting that they've changed the recommendations. I work in a large teaching hospital in critical care and we still use the 4g/24 hours rule. (Thats's 8 ES Tylenol). Time to do some research...

So my recommendation would have been no more than 4g per day, but as little as possible during pregnancy. To err on the side of caution, now I'm going to change that to no more than 3g per day. Also, check how much acetaminophen is in your Vicodin and include that in your total.
  • Options
    I managed to get my Drs office right before they closed and she told me with the Acemetophine, no more than 1000 mg a day. And only one Tylenol ES a day. So Im guessing that is combined. I dont have my Vicodin bottle right in front of me and Im in too much pain to get up right now. I know the Tylenol had 500 mg of acemetophine in it.

Im getting physical therapy done for my back but my first appointment is for two weeks from now. I dont know how Im going to take it that long. I may call them to see if they have cancellations sooner.

Thanks for all your replies ladies. It is crazy to see how different everyones Dr treats these things.
  • Options
    I normally take 2 at a time one never does a thing for me but I've only taken Tylenol maybe 3-4 times since pregnant
  • Options
    I'm hoping that alright
  • Options
    I'm an RN and current guidelines suggest 3000 mg per day max. That's down from the old suggestion of 4000 mg per day max.

Saw a comment comparing it to Vicodin : don't ever compare dosing of Tylenol to anything. Tylenol is on its own level of max dosage because too much can cause liver failure very quickly! It's a drug to take seriously and not go over max dose per day.

Sorry not to be on a soap box or lecture people! I've seen multiple Tylenol over doses and deaths because of it so the stuff scares me!

:)
  • Options
    That's great to know . Would you never recommend 2 tylenols or just the one at a time
  • Options
    I live in Ontario and we have a telephone line with RNs you can call with medical questions and symptoms. On the wknd I had a bad cold with a mild fever so called the ask what is safe for baby. She said 2 extra strength stylenol every 8hours or 2reg strength every 4 hours. She said 2 es should have 1000mg so that's every 8 hours.
    TTC Since August, 2013
    BFP#1 11/2/2013 EDD 7/14/2014 MMC discovered at 8w3d (baby stopped growing at 6w2d)
    BFP#2 2/4/2014 EDD 10/15/2014 please stick little one!

• Options
    Some Vicodin does have 500mg but a lot of docs are starting to write prescriptions for the Vicodin that only has 325mg of acetaminophen. I work for a hospital pharmacy and we've completely switched over to the vicodin with 325mg bc of the potential of acetaminophen overdose. Always read the bottle or call the pharmacy where you had it filled if you're not sure!

OP: I had a headache at work and the pharmacist I was working with said less is always better. So maybe have some regular strength acetaminophen (325mg) on hand for next time and give that a try first.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"