October 2014 Moms
Options

Carseat Question (with 2 kids)

So with LO #2 on his/her way I'm looking into carseats now (while I'm bored at work)... I want to go ahead and get a convertible carseat because 1) I'm petite, and it's annoying to lug around the infant carseat while trying to keep a toddler from running in the street 2) I'll have a sit and stand stroller or my ergo for baby, so I won't really need an infant carseat and 3) I don't want to have to buy one now and then another seat a year from now.

Anyway here's my question -- I'm wanting to go ahead and get DD1 a new convertible carseat (the one her grandparents bought her isn't bad, but it's not that GREAT), and I'm looking at getting both kids the Evenflo Platinum (image attached).  We have a Kia Sorento, so I don't think I could put the newborn in the center if they both had this carseat -- is that a deal breaker, or is it normal with multiple kids to have them on either side?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
1.jpg 38.3K

Re: Carseat Question (with 2 kids)

• Options
    I don't know that it's a deal breaker but I personally feel way more comfortable with a tiny little squish sitting in the center where he/she will be more protected.  It honestly gives me anxiety already to think about moving my toddler away from the center but I know I need to let go and stop being such a crazy person eventually.  We have the Diono Radian RXT which is advertised to sit three across in the back seat, so there are options that will allow you to put your LO in the center.  Let me caveat that with I don't know how the size of your particuarly car comes into play though, so you would have to google that with the Radian to see if the 3-across thing holds true for your type of car.
    November 2010 - 10.5 week loss  o:) 
    October 2011 - DS (7)  <3 
    July 2014 - Stillborn DD (24 weeks)  o:) 
    August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 
    April 2018 - 5 week loss o:) 

• Options
    I really wanted to skip the infant seat too. But so many people said it will be way more difficult. What do you think and anyone else?

Also why not have baby on the side seat just get a mirror and put baby behind passenger seat
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have one kid on each side. There's not enough room in my car for them to be next to each other. And also, this way DD1 can't poke at DD2. They do enough fighting at home. I enjoy that distance in car! ;).
    ~Miss K born 1/8/2011~Miss I born 1/3/2013~2 angels~
    Baby #3 is on the way!  EDD 10/29/14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!!  I haven't searched too much into different carseats, I know I need to before I buy for sure!  

I really liked the evenflo one because it goes from 5-110 lbs, is super safe, has cup holders, and two big awesome features is it has pockets for buckles to keep them out of the sun (I live in TX so summer time that's huge), and the fabric is heat/cold weather adapting/comfortable for the kids... it's $250, which is expensive, but not nearly as expensive as I have seen carseats be!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Some sources say that the child who is least protected is supposed to go in the middle/safest spot.  So, I don't know when you are planning to turn your daughter FF, but if/when she's FF, she would be in the middle, and then your baby on one of the sides (I've read that it's safer to put on the driver's side since in the event of an accident, your instinct is to protect your side of the car) because the baby will be RF and thus safer than a child who is FF.  This is, of course, assuming the two seats can fit next to each other.  If not, I would use the same logic as above and put my FF kid behind me and the newborn on the passenger side.

• Options
    lct2008lct2008 member
    We'll have to put one on each side in our car. So I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker personally.
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DuderDuder member
    It's not a deal breaker for us, either. A center seat doesn't really work in my car, so they'll each be on their own side. As far as getting an infant seat for the newbie, I don't know what we are going to do about that. My daughter has been in her convertible seat since last summer, so we loaned our infant seat to my cousin, who had her first baby in feb (we weren't expecting for me to get pregnant as soon as I did). I'm not sure if they'll be done with it by early Oct, so we may be buying a new seat! It would seem silly to buy a new infant seat, so we may just get a convertible seat that a newborn can sit in....I'll be interested in more threads like these as we get closer to our due dates!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've never had DD in the center.  Ever.  So I'm clearly ok with it and it isn't a deal breaker for me.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options
    I didn't know that about the mirror. I take it back! That was my plan but I didn't think of that. I just worry about baby sleeping in the infant seat for long periods because of restricted breathing.
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:

I didn't know that about the mirror. I take it back! That was my plan but I didn't think of that. I just worry about baby sleeping in the infant seat for long periods because of restricted breathing.

Huh?  If baby is properly positioned in the carseat, his or her breathing won't be restricted.

Yep, I've heard that a lot too. You aren't supposed to let really small infants nap in carriers, swings, bouncy chairs (anything that scrunches them up) for long periods of time because of this. Their airway can be cut off if their head is tilted forward in the infant seat. It's legit but not sure how common it is.

My friend has a 1 year old and she's still worried about this, especially after she read an article recently about a 1 year old that died in his carrier from his airway being cut off. Don't know details about that, sorry.

I believe this is the story you are referring to. Definitely sad.

https://www.am-news.com/content/baby-dies-while-sleeping-car-seat

I have been in a pretty bad car accident and have seen small, seemingly harmless items become projectiles and that is why I don't use the mirrors for my kids.
    ~Miss K born 1/8/2011~Miss I born 1/3/2013~2 angels~
    Baby #3 is on the way!  EDD 10/29/14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    aander6aander6 member
    If you want some awesome advice on carseat, what will fit in your car what, where in your car you should put the baby and really whatever else. You should join the facebook group carseats for littles. They have multiple carseat certified experts that will answer any question you have and they will even recommend carseats for you based on your child's stats, your car and your budget. It is awesome! 
     image image
  • Options
    We had an infant seat and convertible seat when DD was born.  When she was ready to move to the convertible, we bought DS a new booster seat with a 5 point harness.  This time around, we'll probably just get DS a new seat when the baby needs to move to the convertible, and move DD to DS's seat.  My kids sat on either side of the car until we got one with a third row.  Now DD sits in the second row on one side, and DS sits in the middle of the third row (because he likes to "ride in the trunk." 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"