October 2014 Moms
Options

Amniocentesis, how long before gender results?!

I go for my amnio this morning, I have only shat a house since I am so extremely nervous!! Does anyone know how long it will take before they determine the gender? I would LOVE to find out today

Best Answers

Re: Amniocentesis, how long before gender results?!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If I recall my karyotype and some protein levels came in <36 hours. The microarray took a bit longer.

Sex chromosomes were the furthest thing from my mind.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    Well to all the smart asses concerned about my priorities I am well aware of the major concerns and instead of freaking myself out over the negatives I try to focus on the positives being that some diseases identified in the testing can be gender specific. Thanks anyway☺️
  • Options

Well to all the smart asses concerned about my priorities I am well aware of the major concerns and instead of freaking myself out over the negatives I try to focus on the positives being that some diseases identified in the testing can be gender specific. Thanks anyway☺️

Name calling is not very nice.

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Options
    I'm sorry that you feel that way @MrsSinner402‌ but my "priorities" won't allow me to entertain the drama you're looking for. Maybe 2mrw will be better. Have a good day.
  • Options

I'm sorry that you feel that way @MrsSinner402‌ but my "priorities" won't allow me to entertain the drama you're looking for. Maybe 2mrw will be better. Have a good day.

I'm not looking for drama today or 2mrw. Or tomorrow, for that matter. Use your words, dear. And straighten up those priorities.

imageimageimage

• Options
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    By the way, why didn't you ask the doctor this question? Every lab has different turnaround time, and some send out certain parts of the analysis while others have in house capabilities. Asking your doc would be the logical thing to do.

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.

• Options

DFL

There you go not making sense again.

imageimageimage

• Options
    Eastie156Eastie156 member
    edited May 2014
    Well to all the smart asses concerned about my priorities I am well aware of the major concerns and instead of freaking myself out over the negatives I try to focus on the positives being that some diseases identified in the testing can be gender sex specific. Thanks anyway☺️

Stuck in a quote. I'm confused. Which diseases are sex specific? We just had chorionic villus sampling (CVS) testing done because of a potential high risk for a disease, but they never mentioned any diseases being sex specific, OP. Can you elaborate?

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Options
    VCGolfNYC said:

By the way, why didn't you ask the doctor this question? Every lab has different turnaround time, and some send out certain parts of the analysis while others have in house capabilities. Asking your doc would be the logical thing to do.

You're absolutely right. I could have but I wanted to first take advantage of being surrounded by women who have experience and get their take on it, why have an app you can't use?
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:

And gals, is it just me or isn't "smart ass" kind of a compliment?! :)

I'll take it anytime someone wants to call me smart!

imageimageimage

• Options
    In my browsing I read diseases such as hemophilia and Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy are more common in men.... Just trying to gain a little more information.
  • Options
    Eastie156Eastie156 member
    edited May 2014
    In my browsing I read diseases such as hemophilia and Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy are more common in men.... Just trying to gain a little more information.
    @LovelyLadyLocs Browsing of what? The internet or the Bump? These are definitely questions for your Dr. But tbh, I've never heard that amnio will tell you the sex of the baby or that any diseases it will test for are sex specific...

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Options
    I wish I felt bad for being completely unaware of the seriousness, but asking questions is how you find out things and reading for yourself. like I said before in my intro, this is my 1st child some things I really don't understand yet, I get that there are different outcomes each time is it wrong to want different opinions? I expected the backlash, I'm new to all of this but I'm no punk I could be offended but in more amused by the fact that I can be chastised by strangers but I can't ask you guys questions.... Ahh well
  • Options

I honestly don't know, since I am not a medical professional. That's something you should ask your doctor about.

I also think you're getting some of the "smartass" responses because you don't participate in this community at all, other than to ask questions and respond on your own question threads. This is a really great, supportive community if you take the time to actually be a part of it and don't just use it as an alternative to Google.

I don't disagree with that at all. I have been reading through some of the feeds and checking out some things I just don't have very much input, yet, but thanks.
  • Options
    I'm with PP....an amnio is serious business with risks involved. Finding out boy/girl would be pretty far from my mind....
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    Married 8/09 to my love
    Our little shamrocks:
    M~4/11   W~12/12   E~due 10/14

• Options
    Nicb13 said:

And being a FTM isn't an excuse for being unaware. We have no idea why you are having an amnio or what the situation is so to us, it seems like something big might have happened in order for your doctor to order this invasive testing so if that's the case, why haven't you discussed this with him/her yet?

I have met with my doctor, the last time we were in contact we discussed that the testing was optional, because she was rushed off to an emergency I only had the packet and whatever else I could get my hands on. When I got to her this morning she apologized for being in such a rush and that the amino was not necessary, instead I had my blood drawn and results should be in about a week or so.... I don't have any close support that I can ask these questions and my husband is TOTALLY oblivious that's all...
  • Options

Nicb13 said:

And being a FTM isn't an excuse for being unaware. We have no idea why you are having an amnio or what the situation is so to us, it seems like something big might have happened in order for your doctor to order this invasive testing so if that's the case, why haven't you discussed this with him/her yet?

I have met with my doctor, the last time we were in contact we discussed that the testing was optional, because she was rushed off to an emergency I only had the packet and whatever else I could get my hands on. When I got to her this morning she apologized for being in such a rush and that the amino was not necessary, instead I had my blood drawn and results should be in about a week or so.... I don't have any close support that I can ask these questions and my husband is TOTALLY oblivious that's all...
    Now I'm confused. Did you have the amnio or just have your blood drawn? Those are two VERY different procedures.

• Options
    @pushgal84‌ at this very moment I am leaving my doctors office, she told me while I was there that the amnio wasn't necessary and that the only testing I would need is a blood test that will also identify any diseases. So she only drew blood today.
  • Options
    @dorothyzbornak97 congrats on getting voted Best Answer. =D>

imageimageimage

• Options
    @Nicb13‌ it's fine now that I've had my whole ass handed to me I'll be sure to be aware of how I word things and also support all of you guys thanks again
  • Options

@pushgal84‌ at this very moment I am leaving my doctors office, she told me while I was there that the amnio wasn't necessary and that the only testing I would need is a blood test that will also identify any diseases. So she only drew blood today.

Ok, glad to hear you didn't opt for the unnecessary amnio. Just FYI, depending on which blood test you had, it may or may not tell you what the sex is.

• Options
    edited May 2014

VCGolfNYC said:

You're absolutely right. I could have but I wanted to first take advantage of being surrounded by women who have experience and get their take on it, why have an app you can't use?
    Yes, because asking your physician why they are running an invasive test and the approximate timing of results makes no sense.

I'm actually a molecular geneticist and could probably answer a few of your general questions, but you really need to communicate with your doctor. Thinking a board of random women will be more helpful than your physician is ludicrous.

imageimage

• Options
    pushgal84 said:

Ok, glad to hear you didn't opt for the unnecessary amnio. Just FYI, depending on which blood test you had, it may or may not tell you what the sex is.

You do realise that these tests were do not exist to identify the sex, right? It's fantastic that they identify sex chromosome issues, but people generally don't her them for the sole purpose of learning the sex pre-A/S.

imageimage

• Options
    VCGolfNYC said:
    You do realise that these tests were do not exist to identify the sex, right? It's fantastic that they identify sex chromosome issues, but people generally don't her them for the sole purpose of learning the sex pre-A/S.
    Not sure if that was directed at me or the OP. I am aware that the tests are not intended to identify the sex.

• Options
    Awww. I miss all the good threads. So late to the party on this one. :P
    imageimage
  • Options
    Emerald27 said:

Oh, mom. We all know you would've been overly nice and caring anyway. What fun would that have been? ;)

imageimageimage

• Options
    Nicb13 said:

Emerald27 said:

Oh, mom. We all know you would've been overly nice and caring anyway. What fun would that have been? ;)

Sinner, you are hilarious today. Full of piss and vinegar!

You're too kind. ;;)

imageimageimage

• Options

Nicb13 said:

Emerald27 said:

Sinner, you are hilarious today. Full of piss and vinegar!
    You're too kind. ;;)

I love you all so much! :x
    imageimage
  • Options
    pushgal84 said:

VCGolfNYC said:

pushgal84 said:

Not sure if that was directed at me or the OP. I am aware that the tests are not intended to identify the sex.

@pushgal84‌
    It was for op, sorry!!

imageimage

• Options
    @VCGolfNYC Oh good! I was holding off on being offended until I made sure it wasn't for me :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"