November 2014 Moms

BJ initials for a girl???

Getting a little ahead of myself, as I don't know the sex yet, but our favourite girl name is Brianna (my dad's name is Brian, we would mostly call her Bree).  DS is Tate, and I think Tate & Bree go so cute together.  

Anyway our last name starts with a J, and I just don't know if I can give a girl the initials BJ.  Anyone have thoughts/opinions/any experience with these initials?  I won't get butthurt if you think it's awful, I really need honest opinions.
imageimage

Re: BJ initials for a girl???

• I wouldn't do it personally. Junior high is rough enough without having a super easy way to get made fun of. Maybe use Bree as a middle name?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I, personally, wouldn't do that to her. Kids are cruel and I'm sure they'll use that as ammo against her.
  • Loading the player...
  • MaelaraMaelara member
    No way. Nope. Do not do it. When she becomes a teenager it is going to suck so bad for her.
  • Don't do it.

N14 mommy to be :)

My favorites: husband, chocolate.

• That's a lot to saddle someone with who still has to go through puberty.

I was considering Penelope, but since DH is wanting Paisley as a middle name, that would make her first and middle initials PP, so Penelope is out of the running now.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Yep that's what I thought.  Thanks ladies for all your thoughts.  And @shan24 that's hilarious...!!!
    imageimage

• The first thing I read was "bj" and I thought this thread was going to be about getting down
  • Hm I wouldn't do BJ! I wanted to name my daughter Harper Grace Henderson, but I decided not too because her monogram would be HHG. If you feel strongly against BJ, don't do it.
    Baby "H" due November 7
    Fur mommy to Layla
    June 25, 2012image
  • kaimom2kaimom2 member
    Funny story - my SD's name is Brianna. Her initials are BMN. For some reason she gave herself the nickname BJ. She was 9. I thought DH was going to pass out when he found out! She wrote it on everything! I found it extraordinarily hilarious b/c she is a very innocent well-behaved child that never ever causes any problems. But she had BJ bedazzled on every notebook and scrap of paper in the house! Kids!

To answer ur question, I personally don't think initials are that big of a deal - especially since there will be a middle initial separating the two.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

• lisarenlisaren member
    I asked my son who is a junior in high school and he said don't do it.
    I personally would not do it.

• I'm so glad I was a girl. If I'd been a guy, my parents were going to call me Bill Jr. And call me BJ.

I'm with the pp. I wouldn't do it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • sAAmFamsAAmFam member
    True with the BJ what about AJ.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Maelara said:

No way. Nope. Do not do it. When she becomes a teenager it is going to suck so bad for her.

I know I'm 5 years old for saying this, but this answer made me giggle given the topic at hand.

My opinion is don't do it. I think it's a beautiful name so it is a shame, but kids are cruel. Brianna could also be a great middle name?

• TeeJ526TeeJ526 member
    I wouldn't do it. I've avoided names starting with B for the same reason.
  • @Smbodwell1 I would recommend removing your last name from the post for security.

It's not my last name! It is my ex's
    Baby "H" due November 7
    Fur mommy to Layla
    June 25, 2012image
  • lol yeah, initials matter. My husband vetoed a name we liked for our daughter because of the initials. Looking back I think he was right.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DH went to school with a girl names Billie joe. She went by BJ her entire school career and never had one issue. But she also went to a small school....
  • I don't know guys, I have to be a dissenter here. I don't think I ever thought about my initials. Won't she have a middle name too? So she would be BRJ or BKJ or whatever? I mean it's one thing if her middle name started with a J and and she went by BJ. That I would say don't do. But first and last name? I just don't see it as an issue. Maybe I'm naive. I used to teach 7th though.

• lisarenlisaren member
    edited May 2014
    I know in my boys high school everything goes by initials now. Like the parking placard says JO for my sons initials. Or his lunch card says JO.
    It also has the student number assigned to them on these cards.

• I don't know guys, I have to be a dissenter here. I don't think I ever thought about my initials. Won't she have a middle name too? So she would be BRJ or BKJ or whatever? I mean it's one thing if her middle name started with a J and and she went by BJ. That I would say don't do. But first and last name? I just don't see it as an issue. Maybe I'm naive. I used to teach 7th though.

But how often do you use your middle initial? I only use mine when I'm filling out forms. Very few people even know my middle name. Maybe it depends on where you live, but I usually just use my first and last initials and never my middle one.
  • lisaren said:

I know in my boys high school everything goes by initials now. Like the parking placard says JO for my sons initials. Or his lunchcard says JO.
    It also has the student number assigned to them on these cards.

Hmm I hadn't thought about that. Well I guess in that case maybe it's best to avoid it. I never thought about this before.

• I went to school with a guy who went by BJ.  When they were in elementary school, before they knew BJ stood for something they'd all want one day, they decided to start calling him Butt Juice.

hehehehehe.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickersimage
  • My husband's initials are BJB and he has never had an issue with it.  I guess maybe because it's his first and middle name vs. his last?  

FWIW - we're planning on a different B name if our baby is a boy.  Using the same middle name.  So our son's name would be BJB as well.  I'm not too concerned..... but that's also a boy so it's different?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers      Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I wouldn't do it ever.

• lisaren said:
    I asked my son who is a junior in high school and he said don't do it. I personally would not do it.
    Good idea @lisaren - go straight to the source!  Thanks!

@LadyBird9 - I think you're right that it's different for a boy.
    imageimage

• Celticlass6Celticlass6 member
    edited May 2014
    ckquote class="Quote" rel="AnnieRoo13">

I don't know guys, I have to be a dissenter here. I don't think I ever thought about my initials. Won't she have a middle name too? So she would be BRJ or BKJ or whatever? I mean it's one thing if her middle name started with a J and and she went by BJ. That I would say don't do. But first and last name? I just don't see it as an issue. Maybe I'm naive. I used to teach 7th though.
    But how often do you use your middle initial? I only use mine when I'm filling out forms. Very few people even know my middle name. Maybe it depends on where you live, but I usually just use my first and last initials and never my middle one.

---

Plus if you ever wanted to get something monogrammed, the last name initial traditionally goes in the center position. So even if you used the middle name to break it up, it wouldn't work in this case.

Edit: mobile bumping is hard.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would say it is a tough call. I wanted to share a funny story. Where we had out wedding there is a plumber names BJ Queen. Seriously, goes by BJ (I'm guessing first and middle initials) last name is queen. Obviously, he has a sense of humor about it because all of his company trucks say: "BJ Queen, King of Service"
    :))
    ~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• I really don't think this is a big deal. I'd do it. That kind of stuff is rarely an issue with initials and really any name can be rhymed or alliterated into some kind of insult. It's all gonna be about how you teach your kid to handle it if someone even chooses to use that as an insult in the first place.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DTLAmomDTLAmom member
    I don't think it's a big deal either. If it's not being teased for BJ it will probably be something else. My name is Virginia and I got called virgin and vagina in middle school but I love my name! After the first fifty times it like "is that the best you got? Because you weren't the first one to think of that..." And to this day I still get "oh hey Tennessee" or some other state and I just wonder how funny those adults think they are. Bottom line, love my name, wouldn't want anything else!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • While I definitely understand the concern, I agree that it's not that big of a deal to me. Kids will find a way to make fun of everyone somehow. There are tons of names & initials they can turn into something dirty or stupid that we wouldn't even think of. One of my students' last name is Boyd & the other kids laugh at her name because it says Boy in it so she must be a boy. Ridiculous.
  • MazereMazere member
    I have a 6th grade student whose last name is hyphenated BJ.
    Not a single kid mentioned it before spring break, but now it's a problem. (6th graders turn in to 7th graders in spring).
    Oh, and it's the girls causing problems, not the boys.
    After some parent phone calls last week it's been getting better, but now it's out there.
  • My cousin's name is Benjamin. When he was a kid, we all called him BJ. Everyone in my family was seriously like AJ, BJ, CJ, DJ, etc. His family went into a post office. When the people WORKING BEHIND THE COUNTER heard his nickname, they started making fun if his name. I'm sure you can think of how. Benjamin was about 7 at the time. He now only goes by Benjamin.

Long story short, people are mean. They're cruel and horrible. I personally wouldn't do it to a child.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • mussalynn said:

Getting a little ahead of myself, as I don't know the sex yet, but our favourite girl name is Brianna (my dad's name is Brian, we would mostly call her Bree).  DS is Tate, and I think Tate & Bree go so cute together.  

Anyway our last name starts with a J, and I just don't know if I can give a girl the initials BJ.  Anyone have thoughts/opinions/any experience with these initials?  I won't get butthurt if you think it's awful, I really need honest opinions.

Personally - I wouldn't. Unrelated to your question, are you by chance an 'Outlander' fan?... Just thought so based on Brianna/Bree.
  • @harmonicbabe26 - yes!!!!  Outlander is where I got the idea from.  Those are my favourite books of all time, can't wait for the TV show this summer!
    imageimage

• mussalynn said:

@harmonicbabe26 - yes!!!!  Outlander is where I got the idea from.  Those are my favourite books of all time, can't wait for the TV show this summer!

@mussalynn‌ Ha! Thought so! I've been following the news on that religiously and I even have the newest book pre-ordered on amazon. :)
  • I wouldnt change your mind on your favorite name because of this. Kids are mean and they will find something to make fun of your kid about Even if it's not BJ....
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"