October 2014 Moms
Options

Pregnancy and body image?

Do any of you find it really, really hard to accept all the physical changes with pregnancy? I mean we all know that they're no walk in the park, but I mean I am having a really, really hard time smiling at the mirror, and I haven't even gained any weight yet; I feel depressed? Stressed? that my shorts are getting snugger around the middle even though rationally, I know I'm pregnant and this growth is necessary. I feel even crazier because this is my second pregnancy and I thought it would be easier because I'd know what to expect this time around, but I think I am worrying about my body image to the point of obsession. I worked really, really hard to lose all the weight that I gained from baby 1 (I am small but gained A LOT- like 75 pounds a lot- due to bed rest and water retention) and even lost some extra, which probably contributes to all this, even though now I exercise daily and eat an organic/low sugar diet, and there's no reason to think the same issues will strike again this pregnancy. I'll go ahead and add that I have an appointment to speak with a professional about this before someone else suggests it for me, lol. I am just wondering from other pregnant moms if I am alone in these feelings or if I should expect a confirmation that they're totally irrational.
Little Lady born 5.11.11
Tied the Knot 1.5.13
#2 due 10.31.14

Re: Pregnancy and body image?

• Options
    Deep breaths! I think we all feel this a bit, making such physical sacrifices, but finding the beauty in all of it is really important. It's putting aside our vanities and accepting the changes-I personally think there isn't much more miraculous or beautiful than a woman growing a baby. 
    I had to work hard to get back in shape, too, and I just have faith in muscle memory and that I can do it again! The little one I'm growing is more important than my clothing size. Hang in there, OP!
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    Married 8/09 to my love
    Our little shamrocks:
    M~4/11   W~12/12   E~due 10/14

• Options
    I always chime in these types of posts because I have a really hard time with my body image and it gets so much worse with pregnancy because I always gain so much weight. Like others said we just have to focus on the beauty of what our bodies are doing. I do try to avoid mirrors and cameras whenever possible though :(
    BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have my freak out moments. I agree that we all do at one point or another. I am glad that you are working with a professional to get the help you need. Just know that what you get in the end makes up foreverything you are doing now.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I suffered from an eating disorder for the vast majority of my life and pregnancy is an incredibly difficult time for me re: body images and triggers.  A few weeks ago I was crying every single time I looked in the mirror, and when I had to buy new sundresses for a trip I found myself almost so upset I almost had a breakdown in a fitting room. 

The fact that you made an appointment to speak to a professional is huge and commendable.

I think that a large % of women go through this to an extent as it's a period of time we don't have a huge amount of control over what is happening to our bodies and some of the changes aren't exactly pleasant at first.  I think it's important to constantly reiterate and repeat to yourself that they are necessary, positive changes.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    I think it's normal. I'm a FTM and having a really hard time. I was already a little over weight and had issues with my body image so that doesn't help. I've gained 10 lbs so far and feel huge. I was almost in tears the other day when we took bump pictures because I feel I look incredibly fat in them. My husband must have taken over 30 before I gave up. He was so sweet and supportive though. He kept telling me how this is the most beautiful I have ever been and how gorgeous he thinks I am, trying to reassure me that I don't look fat but pregnant.  I keep reminding myself that it's more important to have a healthy baby and that gaining weight is not the end of the world.
  • Options
    Aw y'all are great. I'm glad I'm not the only one in tears, even if they are hormonal! Not that I am glad anyone else is in tears! just that it makes me feel less crazy that others can relate. I hope talking it through will help, and I agree lack of control probably has a lot to do with the anxiety. I just need to keep reminding myself with mantra of "it's natural and beautiful" or something of the sort. Thanks
    Little Lady born 5.11.11
    Tied the Knot 1.5.13
    #2 due 10.31.14
  • Options
    I have had a severe body image issue, especially since I do teeter between a size 16 and 18. While I have only gained 3 lbs, everything is shifting, being pushed up whatever and I feel like I look so huge. It's come to the point where I don't want to leave the house, because I am afraid I will run into people who don't know that I am pregnant and will just assume I gained a bunch of weight. Typing this out and admitting it sounds so absolutely ridiculous and shallow haha-I am normally not one to think like this...I guess it's the hormones making me emotional. That being said, you ladies are all lovely and don't think negative about yourselves :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I've been stressing about it a little...especially considering I'm right on the edge of being overweight to begin with. I'm bummed that I'm going to end up over 200lbs at the end of this pregnancy no matter what. As a result, I'm neurotic about gaining more than 5lbs in the 1st tri (I gained 8 or 9, I think) even though I wasn't eating badly. I don't want to be that person who gains so much that I can't get back into shape and fail my PT test 6 months after I give birth.

The shifting up of my existing pudge is NOT helping, either. I have an ugly little B-bump forming and this does not make me happy.

Married since *7/13/2012* to my soulmate!

Surprise! BFP 3/7/2013, Missed MC, D&C @ 7w5d
    BFP 12/10/2013, Natural MC @ 5w1d

BFP 2/15/2014...Katia Elizabeth is due 10/23/2014!
     BabyFruit Ticker
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    You're definitely not alone.  I've been struggling with an eating disorder for the past 7 years, with it being at it's worst a year ago.  I've been doing much better since starting to try to conceive, but the thoughts I have are still there and a daily struggle.  Looking in the mirror right now is not fun at all, plus I'm the heaviest right now than I've ever been my entire life.  I try to tell myself not to worry because I'm taking care of myself for my baby and that is the most important thing, but it's still hard.

I think going to talk to a professional is a great idea.  That really helped me when I was dealing with my issues.  Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    I wouldn't look at my naked self in the mirror for a couple of months. I put on a few pounds right away, and combined with the pregnancy bloat, I just looked thick. I normally maintain a fairly fit, muscular physique, and it killed me to lose my muscle definition so quickly. But now that I look more pregnant (and not just like I've let myself go), I'm a lot more comfortable with the changes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    glggirlglggirl member
    I started bawling in the shower the other day, because I just felt so fat. I've always been tall and slender, and loved how my body looked. Even though logically I know all of this is a good thing, and I'm growing an amazing baby, for the longest time I couldn't handle it emotionally. I still have a hard time looking in the mirror occasionally, and I had a breakdown over the fact that one of my favorite shirts is currently too small. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    fisk2005fisk2005 member
    edited May 2014
    It's hard for me as well. Especially when I see other women out and about who are not pregnant and they are dressed how I normally would be before the pregnancy. Seeing women in form fitting dresses and crop tops and shorts really depresses me! But I'm taking it day by day. Everyone says..."You're pregnant, you're suppose to be fat!" Blah! [-(
  • Options
    Just wanted to send some hugs your way. Strangely I actually don't have a great body image but pregnancy makes me love my body. I feel at my sexiest because my body is doing what it is made to do. I hope you feel better soon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"