Stay at Home Moms

Disappointing toys

Do you remember the first time you were really disappointed in a toy that was not as advertised?

When I was 5 I wanted the Oopsie Daisy doll that crawled and fell down and cried. When I got it, it turned out it did those things, but it was made of heavy, hard plastic and always in a crawling position so you could never hold or cuddle it. It was a terrible doll. It was a big lesson that stuck with me, but of course I still get sucked in all the time. Anyway, I was just thinking about that doll and wondered about your experiences.

Here she is:
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/oopsie-daisy-doll

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Disappointing toys

• Only thing that comes to mind is gum-machine toys....those things always looked SO cool and turned out to be so lame....
  • I remember being excited about this doll that came with these little packets of coloured powder "baby food". You mixed it with water, fed the baby the food (you had to crank this little flap on her back to move her mouth) and then she "pooped" in a diaper. Well, the poop was (obviously) just the food coming out the other end, so I found that disappointing (not sure what I was hoping for). Also, it was a bitch to clean, because you had to run a bunch of water through it afterwards so the food wouldn't get dry up in there.
    AprilLVE
  • Loading the player...
  • MomIn2013 said:

I remember being excited about this doll that came with these little packets of coloured powder "baby food". You mixed it with water, fed the baby the food (you had to crank this little flap on her back to move her mouth) and then she "pooped" in a diaper. Well, the poop was (obviously) just the food coming out the other end, so I found that disappointing (not sure what I was hoping for). Also, it was a bitch to clean, because you had to run a bunch of water through it afterwards so the food wouldn't get dry up in there.

I remember wanting a doll like that too. My mom was always like, "You have baby brothers. You can feed an actual baby." Nope, not good enough for me!

nonoemily[Deleted User]
  • MomIn2013 said:
    I remember being excited about this doll that came with these little packets of coloured powder "baby food". You mixed it with water, fed the baby the food (you had to crank this little flap on her back to move her mouth) and then she "pooped" in a diaper. Well, the poop was (obviously) just the food coming out the other end, so I found that disappointing (not sure what I was hoping for). Also, it was a bitch to clean, because you had to run a bunch of water through it afterwards so the food wouldn't get dry up in there.
    Baby Alive! I had that!
    I wanted that doll so bad!  My mom wouldn't let me have it, told me I would get food poisoning from the old food. 
    [Deleted User]
  • Did anybody  have the game mouse trap?  I always wanted to play that game and whenever I would go over to someone's house that had it they never wanted to play.  Seriously never got to play it because none of my friends would take it out to play it with me.  Was it really that bad of a game?
    superToots[Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • MomIn2013 said:
    Being disappointed in the poop just made me literally lol.

After the movie Big came out, we got this piano mat thing that was supposed to be like the one at FAO Schwartz. The thing was a total pos. You had to stomp on it really hard in just the right spot. In my head,I was totally going to be dancing on that thing in time with the music. In reality, not so much.
    DD - 12/31/13
    [Deleted User]
  • All of you have such good memories. I know there was something, but I can not remember what. It is going to bug me all day.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• sschwege said:

Did anybody  have the game mouse trap?  I always wanted to play that game and whenever I would go over to someone's house that had it they never wanted to play.  Seriously never got to play it because none of my friends would take it out to play it with me.  Was it really that bad of a game?

This was my childhood! I didn't have it, nobody who did wanted to play!

sschwege
  • Okay all I can come up with for now is the Tamagotchi. Mine stopped working after a couple days.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

bumpuser924057
  • We had the mouse trap game.  I remember playing it once and I don't remember it being fun,  like the trap didn't work properly and my parents never felt like putting it together.

I remember really wanting a lil miss makeup for Christmas.  I did end up getting one but the makeup never really worked on her.
    sschwege
  • jlp0528jlp0528 member
    edited May 2014
    The original Nintendo had a mat for a game that included running and long jump and it never appropriately sensed how fast your feet were running. You could sprint run on the thing and it was slow and you could never place! Stupid.

Edit: https://m.ebay.com/itm/231219292481 here's a link to the cheap mat.

BFP: 1/17/13 EDD: 9/20/13 Dalenna Rose Born: 40 wks 4 days 9/24/13

FTM to my sweetpea Miss D.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• sschwege said:
    Did anybody  have the game mouse trap?  I always wanted to play that game and whenever I would go over to someone's house that had it they never wanted to play.  Seriously never got to play it because none of my friends would take it out to play it with me.  Was it really that bad of a game?

Yep I had it. Still have it. Love that game!
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • sschwege said:

Yep I had it. Still have it. Love that game!
    All right, @joirish and I will be over later to play!
    notreallyirish[Deleted User]

• sschwege said:

We had it and played it often.  It was a long game and hard to win, but we liked it.  I actually just recently thought my ds would LOVE it (he is obsessed with rube goldberb machines, one thing causing another causing another, etc.), and was really bummed to see the one in stores is totally different than the one I had as a kid.

So many games are different. I refuse to buy the creepy anime-looking Candyland. The board of DS1's Chutes and Ladders is really hard to follow.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"