Stay at Home Moms

It's Thursday right? {UO}

Re: It's Thursday right? {UO}

• LoriLee14 said:

If you wear tennis shoes you MUST wear socks. I hate seeing people and kids wearing tennis shoes without socks... that is gross

My sister does this all the time, and then wonders why her shoes stink so much. Gross.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have so argued this to death but after DS kindergarten round up and assessment the other day I seriously think you are smoking crack if you don't think your kid needs preschool for at least a year. The teacher assessing DS stopped after like 60 seconds and said "he is in preschool isn't he? I can always tell and it makes kindergarten so much easier for them."

I was pretty staunchly anti preschool for 3 year olds. We put DS in at 3.5 and now that he's finishing up the school year I am SO GLAD we are doing 2 years of preschool. It has nothing to do with academics..it's all about the social/emotional development.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • alli2672 said:

I don't believe anyone who says there aren't things they won't do for their child(ren). I own the things I won't do for my kids because I am a part of our family with feelings and interests to consider, too, but those things do not surpass the amount of things I am willing to do, and do often.

Honestly if we had the resources and it was important to my children I can't think of anything legal and moral that I wouldn't do.

I can.  I will not watch the batman lego movie more than twice.  I cannot sit through it again. 

I took DS to see it in February while my Mom kept the girls at home. (DH was at work). I absolutely loved it!! We need to buy it.

DocumentsMy PicturesBabyBump13+wks.bmp BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Aussie45
  • Disney movies are full of horrible parenting choices. I still love them.

I didn't send DD1 to preschool and spent the first half of her kinder year wishing I had. She's doing great now, but that first semester could have been so much better. I'll send my other two to preschool for at least a year before K.

I did sleep training for each kid before one year and only had to repeat with DS at around 10 months. I'm with Kimbus on this. I'd gladly do it over and over for the months of sleep it provides.

Mine is brought to you by MFP today. If you tell someone on your friend list to please add a positive comment to your food diary, it's not really support, crazypants. (not anyone from TB)

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• auroraloo said:
    We took on debt in order to send Emma to preschool because it's that important. We'll easily repay that debt in the next year now that DH is finally earning a professional salary, and Emma would not easily gain the skills she has gotten over the past two years. The amount it would have put her behind starting elementary school without preschool would have cascaded for years. I do think it's irresponsible not to put your kid in school prior to K and will hurt your kid in the long run.
    Wow this is surprising. I thought most of the point if staying at home was to spend time with your child bonding and teaching them yourself. It seems highly odd to take on debt for preschool which I agree with another poster is totally unnecessary if parents are teaching their children basic skills. It won't hurt your child in the long run and I thing the more irresponsible thing is teAching your child it's ok to go into debt just because you want something. ( wants vs needs)
    Those may be your reasons for staying home, but your reasons do not apply to everyone here. And most people are not qualiifed to "teach" their children.

Truth. I can teach my kid a ton of things, but I do not replace a classroom setting.

And who is including their 4 year old in budget talks?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

[Deleted User]
  • I have a legit question about preschool. DS is 2.5. His bday is in Nov which means he will start kinder right before he turns 6. I just looked into a co-op that is reasonably affordable for 2 days/week. To do the three year old class he would need to be three at the start of the school year, so that would mean next fall. Or we could send him to the pre-k class the following fall. He would be 4, about to be 5. But he would not meet the school cut off for the district, which is a requirement from what I'm reading. However, the school he would go to for kinder has a T-K program for those entering kinder the following year. So he would do a year of that prior to beginning kinder. Is this reasonable, or is it really necessary to send him to a preschool before T-K?
    Because you're mine, I walk the line....
    Landry Mark: 11/5/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • letranger said:
    I'm annoyed we have to buy rain clothes specially to be kept at school. Random.

What do they have to have?
  • amy052006 said:
    I swaer of all the posters @wife07mom09 is the most unhappy with the hand she has been dealt.  

yes! I have said before is is so incredibly obvious she is totally miserable in her life. I am glad others can see it too. She is so very unpleasant ALL the time.
    penguingrrl
  • JMC11511 said:
    I have a legit question about preschool. DS is 2.5. His bday is in Nov which means he will start kinder right before he turns 6. I just looked into a co-op that is reasonably affordable for 2 days/week. To do the three year old class he would need to be three at the start of the school year, so that would mean next fall. Or we could send him to the pre-k class the following fall. He would be 4, about to be 5. But he would not meet the school cut off for the district, which is a requirement from what I'm reading. However, the school he would go to for kinder has a T-K program for those entering kinder the following year. So he would do a year of that prior to beginning kinder. Is this reasonable, or is it really necessary to send him to a preschool before T-K?

I'm assuming your Tk is set up the way ours is since you don't live that far from me. Anyway, TK is a slower paced K. The follow the same curriculum so personally, yes. I think kids needs preschool even if they qualify for TK. DS doesn't qualify for TK so he's getting 2 years preschool then will go to K at 5.5

• DC2London said:

DC2London said:

I see what you guys are trying to say, but in my experience teaching, the kids who struggled the most are those whose parents didn't spend time engaging them in educational activities at home, NOT those who did not attend preschool.

So you think that random Pinterest activities replace the curriculum, social interaction and opportunities provided in a structured preschool setting?

wow, talk about putting words into my mouth

You said that kids whose parents didn't engage them in educational activities (Pinterest activities) struggled the most in your classroom. I agree that the Pinterest activities are better than nothing but it doesn't replace preschool. Which was my point.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Andrewsgal
  • gwapes said:

Is this directed at me? Just asking a question/looking for opinions.
  • QueSyrah said:

JMC11511 said:

I have a legit question about preschool. DS is 2.5. His bday is in Nov which means he will start kinder right before he turns 6. I just looked into a co-op that is reasonably affordable for 2 days/week. To do the three year old class he would need to be three at the start of the school year, so that would mean next fall. Or we could send him to the pre-k class the following fall. He would be 4, about to be 5. But he would not meet the school cut off for the district, which is a requirement from what I'm reading. However, the school he would go to for kinder has a T-K program for those entering kinder the following year. So he would do a year of that prior to beginning kinder. Is this reasonable, or is it really necessary to send him to a preschool before T-K?

I'm assuming your Tk is set up the way ours is since you don't live that far from me. Anyway, TK is a slower paced K. The follow the same curriculum so personally, yes. I think kids needs preschool even if they qualify for TK. DS doesn't qualify for TK so he's getting 2 years preschool then will go to K at 5.5

Thanks. I honestly don't know much about the TK in our district, and it sounds like it may be eliminated by the time we get there anyway. I'm thinking we probably wouldn't send him to preschool until he was 4, about to be 5, so he would get a year of preschool and then start K at 5.5. At this point it's a matter of convincing DH it's worth the money/commitment of the co-op.
  • JenS2203 said:

And who is including their 4 year old in budget talks?

I legit LoL'd.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
    rachie1019
  • Dammit, @gwapes‌ , I can't unsee that.
    Aussie45
  • edited May 2014
    We took on debt in order to send Emma to preschool because it's that important. We'll easily repay that debt in the next year now that DH is finally earning a professional salary, and Emma would not easily gain the skills she has gotten over the past two years. The amount it would have put her behind starting elementary school without preschool would have cascaded for years. I do think it's irresponsible not to put your kid in school prior to K and will hurt your kid in the long run.
    Wow this is surprising. I thought most of the point if staying at home was to spend time with your child bonding and teaching them yourself. It seems highly odd to take on debt for preschool which I agree with another poster is totally unnecessary if parents are teaching their children basic skills. It won't hurt your child in the long run and I thing the more irresponsible thing is teAching your child it's ok to go into debt just because you want something. ( wants vs needs)

I think the point of staying at home is about what's choosing what's best for the WHOLE family. What's best for my preschool aged children is to be in a quality educational setting for a few hours a week interacting with their peers without me right there, learning the rules of a classroom and learning/listening from an adult that isn't family than sitting on the couch with me reading an alphabet book. While anyone with a pulse can likely teach their kid the rote memorization stuff like colors and letters you cannot replicate the preschool benefits and experience in your living room. Giving my kids the best start at school is far more important than spending more time with me when they already get plenty. I think many people go into debt for college because it helps ensure a brighter future-- same logic here applies to preschool.
    AndrewsgalKeeptruckinlexusolsen
  • We took on debt in order to send Emma to preschool because it's that important. We'll easily repay that debt in the next year now that DH is finally earning a professional salary, and Emma would not easily gain the skills she has gotten over the past two years. The amount it would have put her behind starting elementary school without preschool would have cascaded for years. I do think it's irresponsible not to put your kid in school prior to K and will hurt your kid in the long run.

Wow this is surprising. I thought most of the point if staying at home was to spend time with your child bonding and teaching them yourself. It seems highly odd to take on debt for preschool which I agree with another poster is totally unnecessary if parents are teaching their children basic skills. It won't hurt your child in the long run and I thing the more irresponsible thing is teAching your child it's ok to go into debt just because you want something.
    ( wants vs needs)
    Seriously? I want to homeschool, and I still want to send my kids to preschool a couple days a week when they're old enough. It's not even about the learning. My 2 yo DD knows her letters and colors and is working on her numbers. She'll probably be writing her name before she goes. I want her to go in order to learn how to socialize in a structured setting. That, and I don't feel the need to be around my kids every second of every day. That's not good for them, either. We will budget and make it work, because it benefits them greatly to go.
  • I think WifeMomRandom# is really a disgruntled husband of one of our regulars...not sure who, but she/he has a hard on for this place.
    [Deleted User]
  • I think my thoughts were more aimed at the thought that preschool was so important to go into debt for. This was shocking to me truly. Not trying to be rude. It just sounds lazy when part of our jobs as parents is to teach. Yes education is very important but we are talking preschool here not college.
    First off, you're always rude. 

Second, preschool provides the foundation for a lifetime of learning...it's pretty freaking important.
    Andrewsgalrachie1019penguingrrl[Deleted User]
  • I think my thoughts were more aimed at the thought that preschool was so important to go into debt for. This was shocking to me truly. Not trying to be rude. It just sounds lazy when part of our jobs as parents is to teach. Yes education is very important but we are talking preschool here not college.

Yeah, and we're not talking college level debt, either. If there's no public option, throwing it on a credit card isn't the end of the world and won't break my life.

The point is yes preschool is that important and no you can't prepare a child for kinder at home preschool is way more than ABC the fact that you don't know that shows me you don't know a whole lot about preschool.
  • amy052006 said:
    I think my thoughts were more aimed at the thought that preschool was so important to go into debt for. This was shocking to me truly. Not trying to be rude. It just sounds lazy when part of our jobs as parents is to teach. Yes education is very important but we are talking preschool here not college.
    Yeah -- I don't think you understand words.  I would venture most kids of posters on this board know something about numbers letters and colors before pre-school.  And if they don't, posters are working on it.

That is not the point of pre-school.  
    Maybe you needed some damn preschool WifeMom0198412-0938
  • bhuffman said:

Following Penguin's point about recognizing where professionals are assets :

I get totally irked when people argue that they are homeschooling bc they think they can do a better job that the professionals in the classroom. (Unless they are former educated teachers...). It is so disrespectful to think you are better than someone trained and experienced in the field. No one says, hey, I think I can give myself open heart surgery bc I know my body better than a surgeon. Or I can fill my own cavity bc I think I understand teeth.

Also, I understand there are those who homeschool bc of a reason different than thinking they are better a better teacher than the ones who are educated, but the people who do think that way really tick me off.

I'm not in the "I can do better than a teacher" camp, btw...I was just stating that DD knows a lot of preschool level stuff already. Don't know if this was directed at me or not, just throwing it out there. :)
  • I have really strong opinions about education and what is developmentally appropriate. DD is starting "preschool" at 18 months in the fall and we seriously toured more than a dozen places and I honestly wanted to tell them "Do you have any idea how developmentally inappropriate that is?!"

We finally found one that I like. But it is still annoying. Why do preschool teachers not need an early childhood degree? Early childhood is when most of the brain develops, I'll be damned if I am going to shovel out an arm and a leg every month for someone with a random degree to pick activities off pinterest.

And I feel bad for all the parents who get suckered into paying tuition at these self-proclaimed amazing preschools.
  • bhuffman said:

Following Penguin's point about recognizing where professionals are assets :

I get totally irked when people argue that they are homeschooling bc they think they can do a better job that the professionals in the classroom. (Unless they are former educated teachers...). It is so disrespectful to think you are better than someone trained and experienced in the field. No one says, hey, I think I can give myself open heart surgery bc I know my body better than a surgeon. Or I can fill my own cavity bc I think I understand teeth.

Also, I understand there are those who homeschool bc of a reason different than thinking they are better a better teacher than the ones who are educated, but the people who do think that way really tick me off.

I'm not in the "I can do better than a teacher" camp, btw...I was just stating that DD knows a lot of preschool level stuff already. Don't know if this was directed at me or not, just throwing it out there. :)
    It wasn't. :)

magentawarped[Deleted User]
  • feffy11 said:
    I'm really side eyeing "No debt for pre-school" when people carry car loans like it ain't no thang.
    Or whatever-the-heck on the AMEX.
    I'm not sure anybody says they have a bunch of credit card debt and it's OK. Especially not around here.
  • I love you, @gwapes‌ . Even if you got Poultry Cyrus burned onto my retinas.
  • edited May 2014
    amy052006 said:
    I have really strong opinions about education and what is developmentally appropriate. DD is starting "preschool" at 18 months in the fall and we seriously toured more than a dozen places and I honestly wanted to tell them "Do you have any idea how developmentally inappropriate that is?!"

We finally found one that I like. But it is still annoying. Why do preschool teachers not need an early childhood degree? Early childhood is when most of the brain develops, I'll be damned if I am going to shovel out an arm and a leg every month for someone with a random degree to pick activities off pinterest.

And I feel bad for all the parents who get suckered into paying tuition at these self-proclaimed amazing preschools.
    Well, FWIW, that sounds more like daycare to me, and daycare is a necessity for lots of people.

IDK -- the teachers are my kid's school DO need a early childhood education degree -- at least.  IMO, this is standard at the pricier school, unless you are talking more of a full day daycare set-up.
    We toured 2 Goddard's and a Primrose, which are all higher end preschools. Their teachers had like English degrees or communications degrees. Not even a middle/secondary education degree. The one we're going with has all teachers with ECE undergrad but that is far from the norm. But in my state, the only legal requirement for preschool is that the teacher needs to have a high school diploma. All the preschools advertise "degreed teachers" -- yeah, in what?

And the classroom practices make me grumble. Rotating through centers is not something preschoolers should be doing. If they're interested in what they're learning then allowing them to engage in it and develop an interest in learning is more important than telling them to stop and move through centers every 15 minutes to make sure and cram in more activities. That was my main problem with it.
  • feffy11 said:
    feffy11 said:
    I'm really side eyeing "No debt for pre-school" when people carry car loans like it ain't no thang.
    Or whatever-the-heck on the AMEX.
    I'm not sure anybody says they have a bunch of credit card debt and it's OK. Especially not around here.
    Not outstanding debt, but throwing things on there like new furniture, concert tickets, vacations... even if they incur some interest or hang around for a few months.
    The way most people talk around here they would NEVER do that. 
    likeanoldtimemoviepenguingrrl
  • ariel06ariel06 member
    DS2's teachers (and the majority at at his school) have at least masters in ECE.  I have no idea what the legal requirements are here, but I don't think I'd want my kids taught by someone without any ECE training.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • amy052006 said:
    See any way you slice it, to me, Goddard is daycare.  Not sure about Primrose, but anyone I know who has used a Goddard has used it as a daycare, even though the called it "school" if that makes sense.

I know lots of daycares have pre-school programs, I just always figured if its primary service is caring for a kid for the day, the standards aren't going to be the same as a private pre-school.
     If you need a daycare, there are much cheaper options than Goddard. People shovel out the money because they think their kids are getting a fantastic academic experience from degreed teachers and that's just not the case. I feel bad that parents are getting suckered by these places. Even their 3 and 4 year old rooms were not all that impressive.

But I guess everyone has a different educational philosophy.
  • auroraloo said:

Why do you assume credit card? Did I miss a post? if I needed to take on debt for preschool I'd get a personal loan, never a CC.

I said credit card, but it was more the all-inclusive debt. I'd more likely get a loan if I needed to as well.
  • MrsMuq said:
    I have really strong opinions about education and what is developmentally appropriate. DD is starting "preschool" at 18 months in the fall and we seriously toured more than a dozen places and I honestly wanted to tell them "Do you have any idea how developmentally inappropriate that is?!"

All the teachers at the preschool DS will go to have degrees in Early Elem. Ed., and the majority are former Kindergarten teachers.

And we'll be paying through the nose for it, but I'd rather have a teacher with a relevant degree be his teacher than some girl still getting her bachelors in education (like I saw at several other preschools in our area).
    Seriously, it makes such a difference.
  • amy052006 said:

amy052006 said:

I swaer of all the posters @wife07mom09 is the most unhappy with the hand she has been dealt.  

yes! I have said before is is so incredibly obvious she is totally miserable in her life. I am glad others can see it too. She is so very unpleasant ALL the time.

She has to work and doesn't want to, right?  Which by the way is unbelievable common -- yet people aren't such total bitches about it.

Then why are you so miserable?
    on a separate note primrose is a daycare.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"