Military Families

Army Officer Commissioning Ceremony

My husband has received a commission as a 1st Lieutenant in the Army Reserves (he's a nurse).  They asked my husband to pick a place for the ceremony and also mentioned "relaxing and celebrating afterwards."   I didn't realize that it was such a big deal.  Any ideas as to where we should do this?  We were thinking a local park would be fine.  And should I be prepared to feed the guests?  It will just be the Army guys, our little family, and DH's parents.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Army Officer Commissioning Ceremony

• Avion22Avion22 member
    A commissioning ceremony has to take place in the presence of a US Flag.  You can have it at a park, but someone will have to bring a flag (and that can be a pain, but is totally do-able).   It might be easier to have it in an office, conference room, or auditorium that already has a flag in it (or is in the same building, so someone can just bring it over).  

As for refreshments, I think it might be nice to have some time-of-day appropriate food (bagels/muffins and coffee/juice if it's in the morning, or a veggie tray/deli tray and juice/soda if it's the afternoon).  There's no need to go nuts if there's only going to be a handful of people there.  I wouldn't spend more than maybe $30 on this.  
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Since they mentioned "celebrating," I would provide something, but like pp said, don't go nuts. Coffee, bagels, fruit is always a hit. Or you could do more of a cake-and-punch thing (cookies, fruit, soda) if it's in the afternoon. 
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's scheduled for lunch time so we are going to go with some Jimmy John's.  His recruiter said they will provide a flag.  Thanks all for your input.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was ROTC, so it's honestly as simple as some light snacks, punch, and/or cake for the meal. I take it since he's comissioning by himself, it's not your standard big class commissioning...

If he's at a university, they're usually very gracious toward providing a small room to use. Or if there is some other place of significance. The beauty of being by himself, it is more up to him and you.

Married since *7/13/2012* to my soulmate!

Surprise! BFP 3/7/2013, Missed MC, D&C @ 7w5d
    BFP 12/10/2013, Natural MC @ 5w1d

BFP 2/15/2014...Katia Elizabeth is due 10/23/2014!
     BabyFruit Ticker
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • my commissioning didnt take place in front of a flag and my husband's didnt either. we did ours at our house and did a bbq for both of ours

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"