December 2014 Moms
Options

No heartbeat during ultrasound

I had my first ultrasound today, I am measuring at 5 weeks and 6 days, however they did not detect a heartbeat. They didn't seem to concerned but is this normal?

Re: No heartbeat during ultrasound

• Options
    It is normal. You often don't see the heartbeat via ultrasound until further into the 6th, or even the beginning of the 7th week. I have an u/s on Friday, when I will be 6w1d by LMP, but I suspect I may be a day or two behind that. I am preparing myself not to see a heartbeat, but will be pleasantly surprised if we do. Are they bringing you back next week or the week after to check again?
    Jimmie, mama to Zoey (March 2011)
    Losses 5/13, 8/13, and 3/14. 
    Expecting another GIRL! Carter Grace due on 12/25.

• Options
    Yes, I actually thought I was almost 7 weeks but it turns out after they measured the sac today I am only 5w6d. They scheduled another ultrasound in two weeks. But after having a miscarriage in August, it worried me not to detect a heartbeat
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With my last pregnancy, we didn't see the hb at 6 weeks. My OB wasn't concerned at the time and said it was totally normal, but I did end up miscarrying.

I think seeing it before 6 weeks is actually pretty uncommon. I wouldn't worry at this point. Although I will say that's why I waited much longer to see my OB this time. My first appt is Friday and I'll be just shy of 8 weeks.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    JCM285JCM285 member
    Yes, this happened to me. I went in shortly after getting my BFP and the doc gave me a quick U/S but there was nothing (not even a sac). I was about 4 or 5 weeks then. We saw a heartbeat this time at 7w6d. I know how hard it is to wait for it but hang in there!!
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• Options
    Definitely normal. I had no baby at all at 5w5d and sisix days later a HB and measuring on time. GL.
  • Options
    As the others have said. The heart doesn't start beating until early 6th week on average. So I wouldn't worry at all :) woohoo for seeing bean!
    May Siggy Challenge = Linda Belcher!! Hands down, my favorite TV mom!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I went in for my first ultrasound and they measured me at 5w5d. They did detect a heartbeat but said it was low. Going back in 2 weeks for my next to see what it will be then. I was worried because the doc told me that the heartbeat was low but it seems to be pretty early to detect a heartbeat at all so im hoping it was low because it had just started beating.
  • Options
    Totally normal. I had an u/s at 5 weeks and the tech said that they are only looking for a sac and a yolk sac. When I went back at 6 weeks, 2 days there was a heartbeat, but I had to hold my breath for the tech to calculate it. She said it was probably the first day they would be able to see it.

I had an external u/s yesterday and we could see the baby blob and the heart beating away (I'm 9 weeks and 4 days). So hang in there!
  • Options
    Totally normal. The heart is just now forming so it will be a few days before it even starts working.
  • Options
    Its too early to tell. My OB doesn't even do an early scan to check for a heart beat becuase of this. Our first is at 20 weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I wouldn't worry yet. Six weeks is still so early. 

Mom to 4 wonderful children: T(8), B(6) ,M(3), and A(1)
    baby #5 due 12-07-14
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had one at 6 weeks and only saw a sac and yolk sac.  We have another appointment in 11 days (but who's counting? lol) and should see something there.  I was a little worried, but the doctor and the ultrasound tech both said they didn't expect to see a heartbeat that early.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Started TTC "2.0": 6/13, First round of Clomid: 3/14, BFP: 4/14, EDD: 12/23/14, C-Section: 12/18/14
    Nathan and Nicholas are going to have so much fun together!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My ob told me they would not schedule me until after 7 weeks for that very reason. They say they don't always hear the heartbeat before 7 weeks and that it freaks new moms out. :)
  • Options
    RomicRomic member
    I just went and had my U/S done Tuesday which put me at 5 weeks 5 days and there was no heartbeat we couldn't really even see the fetal pole.  We are suppose to go back in a week on 5/6/14 and she said we should be able to see it.  This would put me at 6 weeks 6 days. Do you think we should be able to see it next week or do you think it might be too soon.  I see where some people say you should wait till after 7 weeks.
  • Options
    It's too early. I had one at 5w5d last week and we didn't see one, just a yolk sac. We saw one this Tuesday, though. I hope you're able to go back next week.
    Trying to grow our family with both fertility treatments and adoption since March 2009 
    IUIs#1-4 = BFN, IVF#1 = c/p, IVF#2 = OHSS, FET#1=BFP
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    RomicRomic member

This was our first IVF and BFP, so I am just nervous about anything and everything. 

Orange1414 how far along were you when you seen it?

• Options
    Romic said:

I just went and had my U/S done Tuesday which put me at 5 weeks 5 days and there was no heartbeat we couldn't really even see the fetal pole.  We are suppose to go back in a week on 5/6/14 and she said we should be able to see it.  This would put me at 6 weeks 6 days. Do you think we should be able to see it next week or do you think it might be too soon.  I see where some people say you should wait till after 7 weeks.

. At 5w5d we saw nothing, at 6w4d we saw it all plus a HB of 124. A lot can happen in a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"