February 2013 Moms

When I was a kid, I wanted to be...

A tornado chaser. I was all sorts of inspired by Helen Hunt and her Twister fame. I was all about zipping down Tornado Alley chasing an F5. 

What about you betches? @lrtrauth?

View Full Size Image
BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

Re: When I was a kid, I wanted to be...

• A teacher....seriously LOVED me some Little house on the Parie

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I wanted to be a social worker. Which is hilarious, because I hate people. I also went through phases when I wanted to be a model, an actress, and a rock star. Pay attention to meeeeeeee! Then I wanted to be a Supreme Court Justice. I still kinda want that one.
    All of that gave me the giggles!

View Full Size Image

• I should also say I was inspired to start this thread because there have been all sorts of twisters in the south the past few days. We had a tornado warning at 4:30 AM, and because of my extensive tornado knowledge from my chaser-obsessed days, I obviously took that shit so seriously. As in the whole family went downstairs and took cover. 

Henry was sort of confused about why we were hiding in the downstairs hallway in our jammies for 30 minutes, but then he went back to bed easily and we had to drag him out at 7 to get ready for daycare. 

View Full Size Image

• Sally Ride.
    .......aaaaaand I immediately think of this damn camel and the song.

View Full Size Image

• I wanted to be a singer. I thought I was so good. I do have a decent voice, but not good enough to be famous (IMO) and I would hate most parts of it- touring, paparazzi, not being able to go out in public without being recognized, probably being forced to go against my morals in the industry, etc.

I also sorta wanted to be a teacher.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• I wanted to be an archeologist. :\"> When I lived in Turin, Italy, I went to the Egyptian museum no less than 20 times and I **still** haven't seen all of it yet. Turin's museum is special because they have the largest collection of ancient Egyptian artifacts in the world, outside of Cairo.

But then I had to be practical. Lol. Traipsing around the world digging in the dirt isn't a great life for kids or a husband without the same interest. So I changed my mind. For a while I wanted to be an Olympic figure skater. Then an architect. But I let people push me into music education and I HATED EVERY SECOND OF IT.

But I'm holding my archeological ambitions in reserve for my retirement!
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• TamaraR4 said:
    I wanted to be an archeologist. :\"> When I lived in Turin, Italy, I went to the Egyptian museum no less than 20 times and I **still** haven't seen all of it yet. Turin's museum is special because they have the largest collection of ancient Egyptian artifacts in the world, outside of Cairo. But then I had to be practical. Lol. Traipsing around the world digging in the dirt isn't a great life for kids or a husband without the same interest. So I changed my mind. For a while I wanted to be an Olympic figure skater. Then an architect. But I let people push me into music education and I HATED EVERY SECOND OF IT. But I'm holding my archeological ambitions in reserve for my retirement!
    Sort of related, but not incredibly: Can we all agree that mummies are kind of the best?

View Full Size Image

• Love mummies! I'm not sure if Egyptian mummies or the English Bog mummies are cooler, though.

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• A whale trainer...which is funny because I have a real life phobia of fish...and that is kind of what they eat.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

• The tooth fairy. Then because I love Star Trek, an astronaut. Then a geneticist. Lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • khazekhaze member
    I wanted to be a teacher. I ended up a CPA lol

Declan 2.21.2013
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 6.22.2015

BabyFruit Ticker

• I wanted to be a social worker. Which is hilarious, because I hate people.  
    Lololol, this cracked me up!

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• I should also say I was inspired to start this thread because there have been all sorts of twisters in the south the past few days. We had a tornado warning at 4:30 AM, and because of my extensive tornado knowledge from my chaser-obsessed days, I obviously took that shit so seriously. As in the whole family went downstairs and took cover. 

Henry was sort of confused about why we were hiding in the downstairs hallway in our jammies for 30 minutes, but then he went back to bed easily and we had to drag him out at 7 to get ready for daycare. 
    zOMG.  This morning was effing crazy!  Neither of my kids went back to sleep -- zzzzz.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

zOMG.  This morning was effing crazy!  Neither of my kids went back to sleep -- zzzzz
    MOTY over here..didn't know about warning till after I got up

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My dreams died when I quit dancing :(

• edited May 2014
    A vet.... Till I realized I had to put animals down and give shots lol then I wanted to be a cop....I liked the idea of power over people..... I'm still regretting that.... Yeah
    photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • My dreams died when I quit dancing :(

This makes me sad! Have you looked at dancing again?

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• SORRY FOR BEING THE DEBBIE DOWNER! lol 

I think yoga is a good substitute for dancing nowadays. I'm good with it :) 

• Gftf7Gftf7 member
    I wanted to be a vet, then a lawyer.

@TarheelMama202‌: I, unofficially, went storm chasing once. One of my college friends is a meteorologist. We were road tripping up Tornado Alley and a storm happened to be developing. It wasn't that far out of our way, so we headed toward the storm. But, the storm kept moving farther away from where we were supposed to be going. And I don't even remember if we drove through any rain (like you see in the movies) or if the storm produced any tornados at all. It was a thrilling adventure though! I don't think I would do that now. I've gotten wimpier since LO arrived, so I'm glad I took advantage of the opportunity when I did.

And good for you for getting everyone in the basement. Tornados are nothing to take lightly! I'm glad you are all safe.
  • light52light52 member
    I wanted to be a teacher my entire life until I got to college.  Then I realized I'm much more a behind the scenes person.

On the tornado topic, my son's Boy Scout leader is a meteorologist who used to own a storm chasing company - people paid him to go storm chasing with him and he would teach them all about tornadoes. It was always fascinating to hear his stories.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• I wanted to be a horse trainer (among other things) and I sort of morphed that into Ecology (and Physics). Then organic chemistry kicked my butt in college so I got a Management Info Systems degree. Although, my husband is encouraging me to back to school for Evolutionary Biology (which is akin to ecology with a trend over time perspective) because, since I had my daughter, I have been all into ready white papers and research studies on human development. 
  • As many of you I wanted to be a teacher. My mom was and it was so great to have her there at school with me and have all holidays and summer off.
    When I started college the only thing I wanted to do was be a sahm! It drove my parents insane that I changed majors 5 times!
                    Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
  • Well, in my early, ambition fueled days of 5 and 6 I wanted to be a Bickford's (specifically....no IHOP or Waffle House. Let's be real) waitress, because I liked their uniform. Which was a shit brown colored, dress type deal back in the late 80s. Cute. 

Then around ten, I laid my flapjack dreams to rest and wanted to be a teacher. Which I felt was a good compromise, because I could still probably wear something similar to the Bickford's high fashion, and make a difference in the lives of children. 

• When I was in 1st grade I wanted to be a 1st grade teacher, 2nd grade a 2nd grade teacher, 3rd grade... you see a pattern?
    I used to make my brother (2 years younger) sit in my room after school so I could teach him whatever I had learned in school that day. Poor kid. But his grade school teachers were always amazed at how quickly he learned things like double-digit subtraction ;)

Later I wanted to be a vet. Then way later in my college years the Sec of State or national security advisor or a professor (pattern from earlier continued ;) ).

Now? I don't even know. I love my current job but don't know if I still will in 15 years.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• nlp1990nlp1990 member
    I have ALWAYS loved kids, so I wanted to do something with them. In 8th grade I wanted to be an OB/GYN. Then in high school I realized that I wanted a family and didn't want the crazy hours of a doctor, so I settled with teaching. Best of both worlds. I get to work with kids and have a decent schedule. I got a BS in early childhood education, but got pregnant with DS the same month I graduated. Now I am a SAHM and wouldn't change it for the world!!
  • A tornado chaser. I was all sorts of inspired by Helen Hunt and her Twister fame. I was all about zipping down Tornado Alley chasing an F5. 

What about you betches? @lrtrauth?

Me too!!!!
    Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • I wanted to be a pediatrician....then organic chemistry kicked my butt....i wish i had just taken it again and pursued that dream....all things medical are so interesting to me. I also toyed with pediatric physical therapist....also sounds cool.

Alas, I write software for the Air Force as a civilian....LAME :-( but it more than pays the bills so I shouldn't complain.
  • I also wanted to be an actress for a couple of years. I could have done ok on stage, but I doubt it would have gone further than that. I don't think I have what it takes to put up with that biz.

Most of my life I wanted to be a SAHM, other than the ballerina thing. People used to side-eye the hell out of me for my aspirations, since they weren't big money-making things. Oh, well, whatever.

• nlp1990nlp1990 member

lrtrauth said:

nlp1990 said:

I have ALWAYS loved kids, so I wanted to do something with them. In 8th grade I wanted to be an OB/GYN. Then in high school I realized that I wanted a family and didn't want the crazy hours of a doctor, so I settled with teaching. Best of both worlds. I get to work with kids and have a decent schedule. I got a BS in early childhood education, but got pregnant with DS the same month I graduated. Now I am a SAHM and wouldn't change it for the world!!

I've always wondered what makes someone decide that they want to look at vaginas for a living. I get the childbirth part and how cool that would be, BUT every day. So. Many. Vaginas. Ugly ones, pretty ones, smelly ones,etc. So. Many. 
    YES! Who wants their face all up in smelly vaginas all.day.long. ?!

I'm not sure. Everything about the human female is interesting to me. In my town there is a midwifery school and it is something I totally see myself doing someday, maybe once my kids are grown.

• I wanted to be a cheerleader for our local professional baseball team.  I'm still bitter at my first grade teacher who crushed my dream by telling me that baseball teams don't have cheerleaders.  What a b&*^#.
    Mom to 3 year-old girl and 1 year-old boy
  • nlp1990nlp1990 member
    krystynad said:

DC2London said:

krystynad said:

A vet and a special education teacher. I went to college to be a special ed teacher and never finished. I had a miscarriage that year and haven't been able to convince myself to go back. I am happy babysitting/nannying for a sweet special needs little girl! What can I say I really love it!

they are so lucky to have you!
    Thank you! Also I think you are doing great and will continue to be great with Jack! It might sound silly/awkward complement (which is how I intended it) but some parents can't handle knowing that there is something different about their child. Autism is my favorite special need (and I'm sure that sounds strange/bad but I promise it's not meant to be.)

Probably stuck in a box...

To go along with this, I am pretty certain my little sister has also high functioning autism. She is 5.5 and will be going to school in the fall and I hope her teachers see what I see. Unlike you DC I don't think my parents want to believe that something is "wrong" with her. Even though with a diagnosis she would get the services she needs.

DC I am happy that Jack has a mommy like you who will stand up for what he needs!
  • Let's see:
    Singer (pop star)
    Dolphin trainer
    Medical researcher in the field of marine biology (This one stayed with me a long time. The ocean is still my favorite.)
    SAHM (Really, my mom was one until my brother started school)

I ended up a CPA. Random.

I like cookies.

• fishes said:

I also wanted to be an actress for a couple of years. I could have done ok on stage, but I doubt it would have gone further than that. I don't think I have what it takes to put up with that biz.

Most of my life I wanted to be a SAHM, other than the ballerina thing. People used to side-eye the hell out of me for my aspirations, since they weren't big money-making things. Oh, well, whatever.

I don't know if I've ever had good-money-making-career dreams. That's why they're dreams? Right?

The racehorse jockey dream turned into trainer/camp director/physical therapist (for people, using horses) as I turned older. Now I'd really love to do some breeding, and it's gotten me interested in genetics.

I also did a lot of acting, had an agent for awhile (she was useless), and was planning on continuing to pursue it but all the sexual harassment and a few minor assaults (the worst was being pinned against a wall so nothing too terrible happened to me) but it was enough that my confidence was shaken and I went through a weird phase and wondered if there was something wrong with me and ended up quitting acting and going into design instead. Now I really miss it (although I do love design) and watching some old recordings I realize I really was GOOD. Really good. So it's weird to think about having lost that confidence. I keep thinking about auditioning for some little local theater just for fun but right now that sort of schedule really wouldn't work.
    I've done some community theatre - pre baby, of course. It was fun, but very time-consuming. I'll admit I was pretty good, too. I'm definitely a performer at heart. But only on stage - being the center of attention IRL can be really awkward for me!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"