Baby Names

No way - not naming my baby after THAT family member...

There is a lot of talk on the boards about naming LO after a family member. Are there any family members you have that, as much as you might love or have loved them, you would never give your child the same name because it's well, hideous to you? :D Just thought this might be a fun "ugly name" topic.

For instance, my paternal grandmothers second middle name was Kunegunde. Her family was German and that was her mother's middle name, and her grandmother's first name. I will definitely not be passing that one down to any daughters of mine. :-s

Re: No way - not naming my baby after THAT family member...

• I can't think of anything truly hideous to me at the moment, though I used to feel this way about Margaret when I was a kid.  

My grandpa's name is Burl Edwin, and he goes by Ed because he hates Burl.  I can't say that I like it either. I don't know if I find it hideous, but I I don't find it appealing.

I don't like my great aunt Garnetta's name, but I love the story behind it.  My great grandma Dixie and her cousin used to love a book titled 'Garnetta, The Silver King's Daughter,' and as children, they vowed that whomever had a daughter first would name her Garnetta.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Yes.  Most of my family names are varying degrees of fug.

My grandfather's name was Adolfo.  Loved him, but I can't get past the hitler-yness of his name.

Sorry, Grandpa.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • My father-in-law wanted us to consider his mother's name ~ Alcie. While not hideous, I can't get past the fact that it looks like a typo of Alice.

My grandmother's name was Bernell, which I do think is quite ugly.
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • Hmm....P.rice stands out the most. Other names that come up are people I don't like in our family anyway, so that's why I wouldn't use the name.
    Love 2010 | Marriage 2011 | TTC #1 since 2012
    PCOS | Anovulatory | Metformin + Letrozole
  • duckrduckr member
    DH's grandma is Ardith :oP

• Lester . I can't get past Lester in my family . Or Carl . Lester was my cousin, uncle and grandfather's middle name who have all passed . Carl was my other grandfathers middle name as well as my younger brothers . Can't do it . Lol
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Lester . I can't get past Lester in my family . Or Carl . Lester was my cousin, uncle and grandfather's middle name who have all passed . Carl was my other grandfathers middle name as well as my younger brothers . Can't do it . Lol
    I can never get past this name either. It just sounds like street slang for "molester" to me. :p

• Beryl

I like Beryl a lot.  Let's trade.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I love my grandma, but her name is Joan which I just don't love at all. My grandfather is Gary, and I also don't love that. Such a shame as they are amazing people. 

P.S. From now on whenever I hear Lester I will think of pp describing it as slang for molester, lol. 
  • My dad wanted to name me after his grandma Bulah, thanks for nixing that mom!

• My grandfather's name was Adolf, definitely not using this name. I HATED my grandmother's name (Ada) as a teenager, but now this will be our first daughters name if we have a daughter. 

Me: 33, DH: 32

TTC: 2 years
    Fertility blood tests all normal
    Tilted uterus
    3 day ultrasound 17 follicles
    HSG: 11/13/13- tubes open
    DH SA: SUPER sperm (145 million, 84% motility, 22% morphology)
    All infection disease and immunity blood tests NORMAL

FIRST IUI May 2014: 100 mg Clomid days 5-9, third ultrasound CD 13 revealed four follicles 27, 24 and 20 and 13mm. Trigger shot May 28 with IUI May 29 and 30 (fingers crossed) - BFN started spotting 11DPO :(

IUI #2 B2B 6/23 and 6/24, three mature eggs and 130 million sperm! FX this is the month!  BFN 7/8

3rd cycle benched due to cysts - TI with OPK tests -  BFN

3rd mediated cycle: Clomid+Trigger+TI  (three follies left side, one on right as usual....what the hell right ovary get it together and produce some damn follicles!) 7DPO progesterone level 43 with NO suppositories YAY for a natural strong ovulation. Beta canceled started spotting 13DPO - Third time is not a CHARM! 14 day cycle WTF! Everything looks normal - RE wants to start injectables next cycle so this cycle I'm benched

Officially benched until March....but still plan on trying the baking soda douche due to my excessive and thick CM

JANUARY SIGGY CHALLENGE...This is so me!

Love this man....he was so before his time in his thoughts and ideas about the world....been obsessed about him lately bringing it back to the early 90s.

Never thought I would like long hair....

• I had a grandma Irma. Just not my taste. Dd is actually named after my other grandmother, though.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • I absolutely adore my grandmother and would love to pay homage to her but her name is Mona Delores and I never could make that work for me.
  • Margejean and Ernest. I could never.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Bertha and Werner. Love them but nope.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• One of my grandmothers is Alberta. I couldn't use it. Just not my style, plus MH's ex was Roberta and those are too close for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a great aunt Ina and an honorary grandmother Ione.  Loved them both, can't use those names even in the middle name slot.
  • I have grandparents Harold, Delores, Elmer, and Cornelia. I just can't torture any of my children with those. Also my dad is Barry. Fun fact my grandpa was Harold... Went by Harry. His two kids were named Gary and Barry. And my uncles name is Larry. Rhyming much?
  • I have a great grandmother named Comfort. I guess it went along with names like Patience, Temperance, and Grace?

It's funny to see on Ancestry and all, but would never make the cut. ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• saham07saham07 member
    sharksfan said:
    One of my grandmothers is Alberta. I couldn't use it. Just not my style, plus MH's ex was Roberta and those are too close for me.

you could use Albert for a boy though.....I love Albert!
  • My grandfather has forbidden any of us to name any children after him -- Irvin Henry. He hates his own name so much, he's always gone by a nn derived fom his last name. I love my grandpa, but I am more than hapy to respect his wishes on this one. ;-)

*************Siggy Warning. Loss mentioned.************

Me: 36, DH:37

Married 4/2010, TTC since 7/2011

Dx: Officially Unexplained (I have Polycystic Ovaries diagnosed via ultrasound, but few classic PCOS symptoms, he has mild MF issues. So... not issue free, but nothing so severe as to explain IF)

I also deal with post-surgical Hypothyroidism following Thyroid Cancer in 2009, but under control with Levothyroxine

4 months Clomid (thinned lining) and 10 months Letrozole (every indication that I responded perfectly)

6 failed IUIs in 2013, 3 with trigger

IVF #1 in March 2014

ER 3/21/14, 31R/21F, 12 frosties!

ET 3/26/14, 1 perfect blast transferred: BFN

FET#1 5/28/14, 2 "beautiful" early blasts transferred. BFP!!

Beta #1 (6/11/14) 798; Beta #2 (6/18/14) 7,966.

1st u/s (6/25/14) showed 2 sacs, 1 empty & 1 with a beautiful little bean doing what it needs to do!

EDD 2/14/15, missed miscarriage, DX: Trisomy 21. D&C 8/1/14

FET#2 Transferred 3 embies, 2 looking pretty good, one not so much. BFN.

IVF#2 January 2015, tentative ER 1/23

• I have the opposite problem.  William is a family name, and I love it.  While I adore my late grandfather, my uncle and cousin who are also named William aren't people I admire or adore.  It almost feels like the name is cursed.

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Justin + Laura 10.18.08
    TTC #1 09.10/Dx PCOS 12.10/BFP #1 12.29.10/EDD 9.10.11/Missed m/c 2.3.11/D&C 2.15.11
    “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.”-Kahlil Gibran
    Cycle #1 4.2.11 + Clomid = BFN/Cycle #2 5.9.11 + Clomid + Trigger Shot = TWINS! 
    Walter Allen and Eleanor Joan 1.15.12
    Another baby on the way! 8.25.14

• One of my Great Grans name was Sylvia Agnes. After she passed, my Great Grandad remarried to an Agnes, who my Gran (and all her siblings) despised. The called her Hagnes. So as if I needed another reason to dislike the name (just don't like how it sounds) there is Hagnes to help.

On the other side of the family tree we have a Myrtle and Earlyne. And one middle name that baffled me for a while, Mattiasdattar. I originally thought this was her maiden name, but after some research I discovered that was not the case, nor was it a family surname on either side. So here is my theory. Mattias was her father, that I do know. And Dattar sounds a lot like daughter. Could they really have made "Mattias' daughter" her middle name? Ugh, I cringe at the thought.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I won't do Barbara just because it's so dated. My other Grandma, who I adore, is named Jill. It's too short and choppy with our last name, but I did toy around with using Jillian as a MN to honor her, though I think changing the name ruins that.

My grandpas' names are fine.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My Nana's first name is Vasiliki and my Papa's name was Bernice Simonese so NO way on those names, haha!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• mkblandmkbland member
    My grandma is Myrtle. I just could never do that to a kid. My grandpas name was Bernard. He went by Bernie. Again, no.
  • Beryl

I like Beryl a lot.  Let's trade.
    I love Beryl. It's been on our list forever.

My grandmother's name is Gladys. I want to like it, I adore her, but even she really doesn't like the name. The compromise that I've come up with is to use the name Claudia, which is the Latin form of Gladys. That will be the name of our first daughter.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My dad's first name is Howard and he has forbidden me from using it.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Lorraine, Dorothea. 

My mom's name is Muriel, and while I love it, I won't be using it as a first name if I ever have a daughter because people have trouble pronouncing it.
  • I really love my grandma and would have named a child after her, except her name is Ver.lan. So unfortunate.

• My husband was super to close to his grandfather. His name was Chester and wanted to name our son after him. I talked him out of it
  • I am all about some family names, but I've got a couple that I can't stomach: greatgrandma Bertha, greatgrandpa Homer, and grandpa Ralph.  I loved them all to pieces, but I just can't imagine naming any of my children after them.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have an uncle Purdy. Yeah, no way I would EVER use that. 

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • RaeJ004RaeJ004 member
    My Nana is Lois Edna and will not let any of my siblings name anyone after her because of this.  But her initials are LEW, so I contemplated using Lew as a middle name.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Georgia 3/15/2012 Matilda 6/12/2014 TWINS!! Babies 3&4 EDD 11/22/2016
  • I have a great uncle jebediah.. That will not happen..sorry.
  • My grandparents are Talmage and Aida, pronounced "I eat a." My great grandmothers are Signora, Edwinna, Thelma, and Florence.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"