February 2013 Moms

I'm sad.

DH's current position ends May 10. We were hoping they'd carry the health insurance till the end of the month but just found out today that they are dropping him that day. We had tried to find out before when his benefits were ending, but the HR lady was away for awhile.

I looked into CHIP today for DD. It's a very long application process and it will take 4-6 weeks to find out if she's accepted, after which her insurance would only start the first of the next month. So it looks like she could easily go 2 months with no health insurance. We will have to start looking for me since I'm pregnant and clearly need insurance.

He only really has one lead on a job right now, which they told him they would let him know about on Friday. If that doesn't work out we are seriously screwed. And I feel like a failure as a parent for my child not having health insurance. We were so confident that another permanent position would come along after this teaching job was over. We really had no choice about taking the temporary position- his old job was driving him to the brink of insanity and he was suicidal because of it. This was the perfect solution. We thought it would all be worked out by now. I'm so sad, anxious, and scared.

Sorry for venting here, I know this isn't a blog. I'm just really upset. I keep wondering where we went wrong, what else we could've done.
PCOS with long, irregular cycles
First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

Re: I'm sad.

• I am really sorry you're going through this. I hope Friday brings you the best news. This might be of some help or interest to you if needed: https://www.webmd.com/health-insurance/aca-pregnancy-faq

Also, at the very least, well baby visits are also free under the ACA, irregardless of insurance. I know that won't be helpful if DD needs go for a sick visit, but it is at the very least one less thing to stress about.

I'm thinking of you and your family. <3
  • I am really sorry you're going through this. I hope Friday brings you the best news. This might be of some help or interest to you if needed: https://www.webmd.com/health-insurance/aca-pregnancy-faq

Also, at the very least, well baby visits are also free under the ACA, irregardless of insurance. I know that won't be helpful if DD needs go for a sick visit, but it is at the very least one less thing to stress about.

I'm thinking of you and your family. <3
    I will definitely check out that link after DD goes to bed. I didn't know well baby visits were free. That does help me feel better.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry you're stressed and completely understand why. I hope that you figure out a workable (and affordable) option for health care. :(

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• He would probably be offered COBRA, but isn't that always crazy expensive? Our current plan is pretty awesome (no deductible) and I'm sure that continuing to pay for it would be astronomical.

I know there are options, it just seems like everything is so overwhelming right now. We've always had insurance through an employer and never had to deal with anything like this before, so I feel like a fish out of water. Thanks for the suggestions and advice, I will need to look into all of this!

• What state are you in? A lot of states have medicaid that will cover you during pregnancy! Check with your local Department of Human Services (or whatever your welfare office might be called). I had medicaid with E because **after** I dropped my insurance, after first clearing it with DH's work, we found out they wouldn't cover me until we were married. And we didn't get married until last November.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I would also check to see what an individual policy would cost. When I was pregnant with DD we lost insurance 2 days before her due date. Due to bring pregnant I couldn't get insurance till she was born. But due to Obama care you can get insurance while pregnant.

Together since July 21 2002

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• kleigh926kleigh926 member
    edited April 2014

You're under 26, right? If your parents still work, their companies are required to allow you to remain on one of their plans until you turn 26.

I will turn 26 two weeks after this baby is due. We have discussed the possibility of going on my parents' insurance, which they would be willing to do. My only concern is that I would be dropped from their plan 2 weeks postpartum and I'm not sure if I could get a new insurance plan then until open enrollment.... I know you can start a new one at any time after the loss of a job (since that's considered a qualifying event) but what about being dropped due to age? I haven't been able to find the answer to that question yet. Still, definitely something to consider.

• So, I was just asking DH about your situation to get some insight. He's oddly into health insurance specifics. 

According to him, the powers that be will do what needs to be done to make sure children are covered if you reach out to them. You very well could qualify for Medicaid. Reach out to your county social services department and they should be a good resource for walking you through your options. They will help to make sure the babes are covered. 

I'm not sure that it would be worthwhile to try to get on your parent's insurance, because like you mentioned, you would be dropped when you turn 26. 

I'll speak from personal experience and say to research individual policies. We moved two years ago when I was pregnant with DS. I switched school systems and there was a gap in my coverage for about two months. The individual policy I was able to get to cover that time was actually way better than the insurance I'm offered by my job, and it was pretty affordable. Much more reasonable than I expected it to be. If you have some money in savings it would probably go a good ways for a decent policy. 

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm very similar to you in that this situation would stress me out. Things could very well work out before then, and you'll never even have to think about doing any of this!

View Full Size Image
    BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

• Drea926Drea926 member
    I don't have any additional helpful advice but I'm thinking of you! I'm sure something will work out soon! 

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Thanks for the thoughts and advice @tarheelmama202! So much to consider and think about. Thank you all for your suggestions.

• kleigh926 said:

You're under 26, right? If your parents still work, their companies are required to allow you to remain on one of their plans until you turn 26.

I will turn 26 two weeks after this baby is due. We have discussed the possibility of going on my parents' insurance, which they would be willing to do. My only concern is that I would be dropped from their plan 2 weeks postpartum and I'm not sure if I could get a new insurance plan then until open enrollment.... I know you can start a new one at any time after the loss of a job (since that's considered a qualifying event) but what about being dropped due to age? I haven't been able to find the answer to that question yet. Still, definitely something to consider.
    @kleigh926‌, as long as your parent isn't retired, you turning 27 and losing dependent child status is definitely a COBRA qualifying event. Telling people about employer sponsored health benefits is what I do for a living so feel free to private message me if you have any questions. Or call my agency (you don't have to talk to me if that would make you feel weird). www.dol.gov/ebsa
    So does this mean I would have to buy COBRA insurance and remain on my parents' plan when I'm dropped at age 27, or could I get on DH's plan through work at that time (assuming he has employer-sponsored insurance then)?

• Thank you, @uncaripswife!! Very helpful. I will PM you if I think of any other questions.

• Sorry you're going through this. DH's company does not offer health insurence so we are privately insured. It's expensive but sometimes its nice knowing that our families health benefits aren't tied to a specific job. I hope everything works out for you soon.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"