December 2013 Moms
Options

Weight/height/head slowing on growth chart?

Just left LO's 4 month appointment and I don't really know what to think.  LO was born 8lbs 13.8oz - a hefty boy in the 80-somethingth %ile.  He was tracking that way at his 2 month appt too.  However, his weight gain has now slowed to 14lbs 4oz at the 4 month appt - 25th %ile.  His length and head circumference have slowed from also 80-90th %ile to 40th %ile.

Pedi says he's concerned but not overly alarmed.  The weight gain alone wouldn't worry him, but the slow in length and head circumference also has him concerned.  He wants us to increase calories and start solids.  I BF/pump while at work, so I'm worried that a) LO isn't getting enough oz when he BFs at home, b) my milk just doesn't have enough calories??  is this even possible??  and c) I wasn't going to start solids this early so I'm hesitant to just jump on that train.  Before I start my crazy obsessive research, do any of ya'll have any thoughts on any of this?  Just thought I'd ask the all-knowing internet mommas first before I get too anxious about it.

Re: Weight/height/head slowing on growth chart?

• Options

Breastfed babies tend to be more lean than formula fed babies, I forget why, but it's totally normal. I'm not sure I'd worry about 25th percentile, that's still very much in the normal range.

As long as there are enough wet and poopy diapers and he seems happy and is developing well, I'm not sure I'd worry honestly.

But I would talk it over more with your pedi, or possibly get a second opinion before doing anything differently.

**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options
    My LO slowed in all of the measurements too. I was told not to worry as long as they followed their new 'track' on the chart. We are in the 20-30% for all three measurements.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO slowed as well; I realized I wasn't making as much milk so I started supplementing. LO was only getting about 2oz bm from me when he really needed 4-5.

• Options
    Thanks, ya'll.  It caught me off-guard because I thought he was doing well.  His nickname is Chunk, for crying out loud!!  :)
  • Options
    if you don't want to start solids yet, you could always offer more BM or some formula in a bottle after you BF him regular feedings & see if he'll take more.  I do this with LO sometimes when I feel like my supply is down...I'll offer some pumped milk if I have it if she still seems hungry after a feeding.  If you're worried I'd prob try that route before starting solids but that's JMO.  That said, I still wouldn't worry too much! ;)
  • Options
    lp0lp0 member
    DD went from the 10th percentile at birth to the 50th at 2 months. Now at 4 months she's at the 25th. It's common to jump around.

My ped was not concerned at all. He said as long as there is steady growth and lo is proportionate there was no need for concern.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options
    The same thing happened to us ( I don't know what percentile he is, but his growth slowed down).
    The pedi wasn't very worried but advised us to start solids and/or offer formula or pumped milk if he shows hunger signs in less than 2,5 hours after the last feeding.
    Well, as it turns out he always accepts the bottle. So now we takes 2 bottles of formula, eats fruits and nurses.
    This really worked out for us.
  • Options
    yty0205yty0205 member
    Thanks, y'all. Going to up the breast milk and try to pump more. If I can't keep up, we'll supplement with a little formula. Going to try some cereal within the next few weeks - little guy is a big eater and has been acting more interested in us eating, so I think he's getting ready. I was hoping to EBF the first six months but looks like he's wanting all the foods....
  • Options
    yty0205yty0205 member

Just double check your ped is following an EBF growth chart. There is a difference.

Yep, it was the EBF chart. I specifically asked.
  • Options
    Who watches LO when you're at work? Do they have him on a schedule (every 3 hour feed) or do they wait till he's hungry? Just wondering.

Also, cereal probably won't help with the weight gain but formula will or pureed avocados even.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My daughters head circumference dropped to the 3rd percentile at 4 months and scared us! We went in for a nurse visit to check it again at 5 months and it grew to the 26th percentile ! I think they just grow randomly. Idk. Her dr was concerned, but not after this last visit.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    yty0205yty0205 member

Who watches LO when you're at work? Do they have him on a schedule (every 3 hour feed) or do they wait till he's hungry? Just wondering.

Also, cereal probably won't help with the weight gain but formula will or pureed avocados even.
    It's been either my best friend or my mom. No schedule - just follow hunger cues - but he does have a loose routinw. He starts daycare on Monday though so we'll be starting over on "routine."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"