October 2014 Moms

High School Reunion (Thanksgiving weekend)

Hi girls,

I hope you are having a fantastic hump day!  

I just found out the date of my ten year high school reunion and it's going to be November 29 (right after Thanksgiving).  My baby is due October 12.  In your opinion, does it make sense to even think I'd have the energy and baby would be okay without me to go to a reunion for a few hours?  I just have no idea...I wish it was right around Christmas because then I'd feel like it was a little easier for baby and me if I went.

Thanks and sorry if this is a dumb question!  

Re: High School Reunion (Thanksgiving weekend)

• Go!!! Baby will be 6+ weeks by then. It's not like you have to stay the whole time.
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • I don't think I'd go.  Thinking back to DS being one month old, I was an emotional, sleep-deprived wreck and would not have been ready to leave him with anyone else to watch him.  

I did go to a close friends' wedding when he was 2 months old and left him home with my mother and that was still a little tough.  I ended up pumping about 4 times while we were out - in the car twice and at the wedding twice.  I had fun, but it was exhausting, super annoying to pump in the car (I was by no means a pro yet), and I just missed him so, so much.

I also feel like a high school reunion is something I'd be more willing to pass up compared to other events. 
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Loading the player...
  • Nope - there was a similar thread about taking baby away on thanksgiving so normal to try and plan these things.  I think baby will be fine for a few hours with family or your SO if he chooses not to go.  It is so hard to predict how you will feel and if you go late - you may not have as much time to heal. 

If it is not expensive, I would plan to go but be ok with opting out at the last minute.  I had lots of pain for a few weeks after but was able to get out and about with and without baby.  The hardest part for me was the emotional piece of the separation.  Also timing if you are breastfeeding and/or pumping! SO totally doable in my opinion and would be a reason to get out of your sweats :)

Interestingly, I feel totally different about this than I did about the Thanksgiving one.  

If OP is up for a reunion then she should go, but I wouldn't have been.  My 10-year reunion was late at night, and was a dancing, drinking, up-on-your-feet-the-whole-time kind of thing.  And my baby wasn't with me.  It was a good time, but I probably wouldn't go to another one.

For Thanksgiving with family though, my baby would be with me and at least in my family it's more low key and not a late night thing.
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Is it close?  Do you have to travel?  If it is close then go!  Even for an hour or two, it will be nice to get out of the house.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• I think it's something you may have to wait and play it by ear.  I was not ready to leave DD at all at that point.  But of course, everyone is different, and there isn't really any way of knowing how you'll feel about it until after she's here.
  • Maybe. If you can decide a week or two before. You may feel great and totally up for an event like that or you may be completely exhausted. Also it would depend if there were people going that I wanted to see. Maybe set up a lunch or brunch if it's only a few people you're excited to see.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • jcsumm0 said:

I think it's something you may have to wait and play it by ear.  I was not ready to leave DD at all at that point.  But of course, everyone is different, and there isn't really any way of knowing how you'll feel about it until after she's here.

This! I would just wait and see. You may be ready for a short break, or leaving LO for an evening might be the farthest thing from your mind. I wouldn't worry about it now.
    imageimage
  • FB has replaced the need for high school reunions in my opinion.  I see the people I want to see on the regular so I have no need to attend the multi-year reunion that is in the works for this July!
  • I would probably be using the baby as an excuse, whether I could actually manage to go or not. But then, I will probably skip out on my next reunion even if I don't have a baby at that point.
  • DH has a 10-year reunion that same weekend, as well. However, it is 5 1/2 hours away.  He has kept in touch with anyone he cares about, so he is ok missing it. If he wanted to go, I would be fine with it, but even he doesn't want to leave our baby that young. Plus we will have family visiting us for Thanksgiving this year (just his parents).
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • CrisDeeCrisDee member
    Mostly off topic, but man I feel old, my 20 year should be next year.

I wouldn't go, but then again I realized at my 10 year that I didn't like those people anymore.
  • Lele74Lele74 member
    edited May 2014
    Whoa my 10 year reunion is the same weekend. It really is.

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Thanks all!  Work was really busy yesterday so I didn't get to respond until now.  Details are still up in the air about what time and what sort of event it will be.  DH and I actually recently moved back to where I grew up so it won't be too far.  I think I will figure out the price and if it isn't prohibitive then I can tentatively plan to go and be flexible if the LO needs me.  We are living with my parents for the time being so my mom said she could take care of the baby...we shall see!  I also agree that I'm not sure how confident I'll be in the way I'm looking by then! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"