December 2013 Moms

? for moms that supplement

I can't quite keep up pumping to meet LOs appetite now that I am back to work so we are going to start supplementing with formula. LO takes 3.5 oz of BM in a bottle but I am not sure how much formula she would take since BM is higher calorie count. Any suggestions?
imageimageimage

Sebastian: March 3, 2010

2nd Tri Angel Baby: November 2012

McKenna: December 2, 2013

Re: ? for moms that supplement

• I'm curious, too, because we are in the same boat starting next week.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I supplement breastfeeding with 1-3 bottles of formula a day and depending on the last time I breastfed and how long it will be until I breastfeed again I make either a 4 or 6oz bottle. I would think if your lo is taking 3.5oz of bm at a time I'd try making 4 oz bottles of formula first. If she sucks it down and doesn't seem satisfied then move up to 5 or 6oz (although most people would say not to do 5 because you have to measure a half scoop which is not recommended.)
  • Loading the player...
  • imageimageimage

• I would make 2 oz of formula and then feed after the bm bottle. That way you don't waste any liquid gold. I used to make my bottles of 4 oz bm then 2 oz formula for ds1. I would mix it all in the am so it would have time for the bubbles to settle. This also gives their stomach time to adjust.
  • @kmommy07‌ - it would be a completely separate bottle/feeding and not mixed with BM. I think I will make 4oz bottles and of she wants more we can make more formula then.
    imageimageimage

• We do a bottle of formula a day and keep it at four ounces...same as his bottles of BM.
  • Good luck, my first needed the mixed bottles to help with calories so my only experience is combining the two until we transitioned to only ff at 10 months. Hoping it all goes smoothly for you.
  • First bottle went well. She was tired so only took like 3 ounces and then passed out hard! Sending 2 bottles to DC today so we can see how she tolerates this formula before we see her GI doc next week. She's an MSPI and Gluten free baby but so far GGS Soothe is doing okay (it's what GI doc suggested we try first - that doesn't work it's on to Elecare...).
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"