December 2013 Moms

"When I was your age"

dollypardondollypardon member
edited April 2014 in December 2013 Moms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLDQDaPHy9E

Computer programming for 5-year-olds? Holy crap.

This makes me feel like I'm already 70 years old.

Do you guys ever think about what kind of things will seem super old-timey to our kids and grandkids? A couple I mull over are:

- To my kid: "When I was your age, you had to be at home to receive a phone call, and you couldn't even tell who was trying to call you so you had to pick every call up. Also, the phone had to plug in to the wall."

- To my kid?/grandkid: "When I was your age, I loved seafood and ate it all the time. Sorry about that. Now there's none left for you. Tuna was pretty awesome."

What other seemingly normal things are going to seem bizarro to our new humans?

Re: "When I was your age"

• Loading the player...
  • When I was your age we had to carry a backpack full of heavy books. Now you use a tablet.
    When I was your age of we had to call or parents from the mall we used a phone you put money in.
    When I was your age we used books called encyclopedia to look things up. Now you use the internet.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LOL at the one about seafood.  

I actually do think about this!  I've thought before that LO will think I'm "old" because "back in my day" we didn't have text messaging, & we communicated via instant messenger, haha.
  • @SweetSouthernMomma08‌ I was just trying to think of how I'd sound as a grandmother in 25 years!
  • amberpro said:

When I was your age, we had to only watch live TV. No recording, pausing or fast forwarding commercials. If we weren't home to see a show, we missed it.

I said this to my 2 year old last night, lol.  I told him to go sit at the table for dinner and he said, "Hold on, mommy.  I need to cause Sheriff Callie."  

ETA:  That's not a typo.  No matter how many times I tell him otherwise, he says "cause" instead of pause.  

We sometimes have to tell my 4 year old to "pause" when he is playing or watching a video just to get his attention... He still does stuff on the iPad that I can't replicate...
    imageimageimage

Sebastian: March 3, 2010

2nd Tri Angel Baby: November 2012

McKenna: December 2, 2013

• We had flip phones (those things were unstoppable though)
    If someone called when you were on the phone they heard this annoying beep and had to try again later.
    Cartons were 1000 times better...go watch some Scooby-Doo and Rugrats you'll see what I mean.
    Disney stars constantly started making bad decisions.
  • synergy_gdsynergy_gd member
    edited May 2014
    No internet. Computers had green screens. You put a cassette tape in to play a game and had to wait 10mins for it to load, then half the time it didn't so you'd try again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"