September 2012 Moms
Options

Side Dishes

What are some of your favorite side dishes to have at a picnic/BBQ? I need to bring 2 side dishes (not mac & cheese or baked beans please).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Side Dishes

• Options
    What about pasta salad?

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Options
    My Mom always makes an Asian Chicken Salad that's delightful.  I like to take the leftovers and heat them up for dinner. :-)

It's that recipe, but then she adds in 2c shredded chicken, a bag of cooked sugar snap peas and a bag of shelled edamame.  It's my favorite.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, if there's snickers candy apple salad at a BBQ/potluck whatever, I will eat it every damn time. I don't use snickers in mine, but instead use a whole bag of heath bar chips. :-)

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    harti09 said:
    Marinated veggies. It's super easy. I've been making it for the house lately a lot. 

Get a big bag of prepped baby carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. Throw in some cherry tomatoes and sliced red onion. Pour Italian dressing, or some other vinegar based dressing on top and toss to coat. Let it sit in the fridge overnight. 

You can add addition veggies too - mushrooms, bell peppers, cucumbers. Totally customizable.  

I add spiral noodles to this and make it a pasta salad :)

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
  • Options

I made this Quinoa, Chickpea and Avocado Salad as a side for our dinner the other night. And it was divine!

https://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/04/quinoa-chickpea-and-avocado-salad.html 

• Options
    We always make an oriental cole slaw salad.  I think it may be similar to what someone else mentioned, you use beef ramen in the dressing and then crush up the noodles to top the salad with.

Also, fruit salad, pasta salad.  If you want a dessert, I make a great strawberry cinnamon truffle that is light and fluffy and perfect for summer.  

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Options
    A dish that we make is: You'll need an aluminum foil packet. Slice potatoes very thin, toss with olive oile, Tony Chachere's and pepper ( you can change spices to whatever your preference is), add some red, orange, yellow and a few green bell peppers also sliced thinly. Throw in the oven or on the grill. It will steam in the aluminum foil packet. Very good and cheap. There is quite a bit you can do with changing this dish up like different spices, different veggies, etc...

imageimage 

• Options
    This broccoli salad is really good https://www.thenakedkitchen.com/broccoli-salad/

I also love a tortellini pasta salad or greek pasta salad

Cole slaw, shred regular and red cabbage, add some italian dressing and some peanuts.  So good.  
  • Options
    This orzo salad is my all-time favorite pasta salad. I use sundried tomatoes instead of regular, and it always gets rave reviews.

I'm not a big potato salad person, but I did make a good one once that used a mayo/Greek yogurt combo with red bliss potatoes (unpeeled) and peas.

• Options
    Deviled eggs!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    Watermelon, Tomato, & Feta Salad
    BLT Ranch Pasta Salad (I've not tried this yet but how can one go wrong)

(Formerly MamaBearKendy)
  • Options
    Coleslaw, deviled eggs, fruit salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, broccoli casserole

Anniversary

• Options
    27boo27boo member
    edited May 2014
    My mom's macaroni salad is the best. Small shell pasta, small cubes of cheese, dill pickles, sliced olives, and hard boiled eggs. Mix all of that up. The sauce is amazing. Start with mayonnaise, add dill pickle juice and whisk. Add sugar, a small amount of sweet pickle juice, and a small amount of mustard to taste. I know it sounds weird, but so good!
    Aria September 18, 2012
    Baby Due April 17, 2015
  • Options
    My favorite is my Mom's potato salad!

But other than what's been mentioned, what about corn bread?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"