February 2014 Moms

Baby won't nurse on right side

LO is refusing to nurse on the right about 70% of the time.  The right is my less producing side, so I was trying to make him nurse on there first to get the supply going.  He started refusing that, so I start him on the left to get the hunger edge off and then do the right.  Now he's refusing that a lot too!

Not sure if it's a supply issue or if maybe it's not comfortable on that side?  I'm afraid my right will dry up totally at this rate!  Ideas?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby won't nurse on right side

• Soap1Soap1 member
    Did you try new positions?
    He's a little happier with football hold but still won't nurse on right first.  So, he's uncomfortable AND a supply issue maybe?

• I had this issue too for a few weeks. But eventually this stopped being an issue. I think it was because my supply was super uneven. It was easier to get milk out of my left than it was my right, which meant she had to work harder to get milk out of my right, and it was pissing her off. I've been working with a LC to even out my supply and it helped.
    It might be worth it to make an appointment with a LC to figure if an uneven supply is the issue or if there's something else going on.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was also going to suggest an LC or finding a local Le Leche League if you were able to.
    Lilypie - (qptF)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    "Elsie Irene was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."

• My LO loves the taste of gas drops. I put a dash- literally half a drop on the boob or nipple to spike his interest. It has worked every single time. The minuscule amount of gas drop will not do any harm and my pedi approved it for me. I however don't do it all the time as I don't want it to be a habit so I save it for times he is super fussy and I really need him to eat.
  • Hg45 said:
    My LO loves the taste of gas drops. I put a dash- literally half a drop on the boob or nipple to spike his interest. It has worked every single time. The minuscule amount of gas drop will not do any harm and my pedi approved it for me. I however don't do it all the time as I don't want it to be a habit so I save it for times he is super fussy and I really need him to eat.
    I do this if LO is screaming her head off and won't take the pacifier and it *almost* always works!
  • Soap1Soap1 member
    kak808 said:
    Hg45 said:
    My LO loves the taste of gas drops. I put a dash- literally half a drop on the boob or nipple to spike his interest. It has worked every single time. The minuscule amount of gas drop will not do any harm and my pedi approved it for me. I however don't do it all the time as I don't want it to be a habit so I save it for times he is super fussy and I really need him to eat.
    I do this if LO is screaming her head off and won't take the pacifier and it *almost* always works!
    That's a good idea!  Even if it's just every now and then so my right boob doesn't dry up...

• I had this early on as the scar tissue behind my nipple from the breast pump accident. Ipunped to maintain supply and always gave LO the bad side first so that repeated latch and suckle attempts would also help supply issues.

Eventually she gave in and now takes both sides without an issue.
  • edited May 2014
    How long has it been going on? Have pedi take a peek in LO ears. One of my DSs refused to nurse on the side that would cause pressure or his ear to stick to my bicep and cause suctioning. Only reason I bring it up
    Is that I say he did a lil better football hold which both ears are exposed
  • Sorry I posted that during a motn feeding... But I think you got the jist :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"