Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

OPK - should I?

From what I gathered, a lot of you use OPKs with the majority of y'all using the Wondfo strips. I am sitting here on Amazon website wondering if I should click purchase.

I've been obsessing over my chart and wondering if I even ovulate at all or if I will. This is my first cycle temping, second cycle TTC. My second cycle post BCP. I just don't want to waste money on OPK strips... I am also hesitant because I have also read on here that the OPKs can detect a surge but not actually tell you whether you've ovulated/will ovulate.

I have searched other charts on FF to see samples of both ovulatory and anovulatory cycles... I just feel so confused looking at so many charts. I'm probably obsessing.

Anyway, if you use OPK and chart, do you feel it's helpful to do both, or do you think temping alone is fine? If you do both, why?
Me: 33 DH: 31
DD: 10 (born August 2004)
Married 03/01/14
TTC#2
BFP: 05/17/2014 EDD: 1/25/15 MMC: 06/30/2014
BFP: 01/31/15 MMC: 02/25/15 

Re: OPK - should I?

• Options
    I just started temping and I found that OPKs were very helpful to help me determine when my body was gearing up to O and then charting BBT confirmed when O occurred.  So yes, OPKs were helpful for me

animated gifs photo: Donut try this at home donut.gif

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Ok... so my concern is the reliability of the OPK... does it just say you're surging, or are there kinds that tell you YES, you are ovulating?
    Married 03/01/14
    TTC#2

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ok... so my concern is the reliability of the OPK... does it just say you're surging, or are there kinds that tell you YES, you are ovulating?
    It just tells you that an LH surge has been detected, which is an indicator of impending ovulation. OPKs can't see into your body and tell you that you're 100%, without a doubt ovulating.
    This.  It is possible to surge, and gear up to O but not actually O, which is where the temping comes in.  If you're doing both, you can detect your surge, then temping will confirm if you O.  I find using both was the very best way to ensure we hit my FW reliably.  
                                                  *********************SIGGY WARNING*************************
                                        May 14 Siggy                                             
    TTC #1 since June 2012.  DX: Unexplained Infertility.  Me: Hypothyroid
    3 Failed Femara + TI cycles and 4 Failed Injects + B2B IUI cycles
    Cycle 23: IVF#1 CoQ10 + Lupron + Puregon = BFP!!
    Beta #1: 199   Beta #2: 800+   It's TWINS!  EDD: Feb 19, 2015
    Team Purple!!!!
    L & E arrived early on January 5, 2015!!
    ~~~All are welcome!~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ok, thank you! I clicked purchase!!! Thanks for being so helpful!
    Married 03/01/14
    TTC#2

• Options
    Just to be sure, I don't need anything else other than the Wondfo strips? There's nothing that goes with the strips right? I read the description and it didn't say it is to be used in conjunction with anything else.
    Married 03/01/14
    TTC#2

• Options
    edited April 2014
    When really trying to pinpoint O - I need both, I think. This cycle I'm gearing up for a cycle day 25 O. Typically I'm around Cycle Day 17-20. Without OPKs I'd be obsessing a little more this month. But I could tell using OPKs that I wasn't even gearing to O yet at my "normal" time. 

andplusalso - Charting is telling me that while I've gotten +OPKs, I haven't Oed yet, so I may have one last day to try to HIO before my window is over. 
  • Options
    When really trying to pinpoint O - I need both, I think. This cycle I'm gearing up for a cycle day 25 O. Typically I'm around Cycle Day 17-20. Without OPKs I'd be obsessing a little more this month. But I could tell using OPKs that I wasn't even gearing to O yet at my "normal" time. 
    This is probably why I am obsessing...
    Married 03/01/14
    TTC#2

• Options
    I just temp and HIO every day starting around CD12. It's hard work (pun intended) but it works for both of us as far as scheduling and energy go.

That said, I'm on cycle 11 and considering starting OPKs in case the every day sex is actually hurting our chances. With OPKs we could time it better without doing the dirty every day.

TTC #1 for 18+ months - Age 32
    Aug-2014: All initial testing went well, waiting for 2015 for possible IUI.
    Love beer and bagels (not together), hate olives

• Options

Just to be sure, I don't need anything else other than the Wondfo strips? There's nothing that goes with the strips right? I read the description and it didn't say it is to be used in conjunction with anything else.

I bought little 'jello shot' cups as well to pee in. I tried just peeing on the first strip and I'd didn't work too well. This is my first month temping too, and I'm finding the strip to be really helpful. If anything, just to confirm I'm reading things right and have the timing right.

Aug '15 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Mean Girl from Film/TV: Lucille Bluth from Arrested Development

Married 3/31/2012
    Me: 29 DH: 30
    BFP #1 5.09.2014
    Natural MC 07.09.2014
    BFP #2 12.15.2014
    Stay With Me Precious Sticky Bean! I Love You!
                       BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    NerdyLucyNerdyLucy member
    edited April 2014
    No, just maybe some disposable cups.  I got a pack of plastic shot glasses from the Dollar Tree for mine. 

ETA:  Somebody beat me to it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    SNLT1012 said:
    Yup, you need a cup to pee in.  I bought a Disney princess cup at walmart for less than $1.   If you don't like princess they also had Hello Kitty, Cars, Tinkerbell...
    Ha! I have a Mr. Potato Head cup that I think would work ... Got it from the dollar bin at Walmart!
    Married 03/01/14
    TTC#2

• Options
    alysonmhalysonmh member
    edited April 2014
    The month I got pregnant the OPK never said I had a surge and I was even testing twice a day. Can they be helpful? Sure. Are they always helpful? No. 

You are only on your 2nd cycle, maybe give it a little time before you go through all the trouble of OPKs that you may not even need to use.
  • Options
    I like the wondfo OPK just because it gives me a little more info on what is going on with my body. The  OPK lets me know I got my LH surge, and then the temping confirms that I ovulated following the surge.  Also, if I run into a fertility problem I can give my doctor a little more information about my usual cycle, which is a good thing!
  • Options
    I am a total control freak when it comes to TTC, so I like using them.  They take some of the guess work out of it.  Plus, who doesn't love peeing on things! ;)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 7/10/2012 .... DS Born: 2/26/2013
    TTC #2: 5/2014
    BFP #2: 7/8/2014 .... MC at 4w4d
    BFP #3: 9/14/2014...EDD 5/30/2015

Little Sister is on the way!
  • Options
    I will also point out that OPK's can make you a little crazy too. I have FF crosshairs right now, but am on day 4 of positive OPK's (bought a different brand today to make sure it wasn't just a fluke). So you have to take both into account when figuring O.

Married since July 2004
    TTC #1 Since January 2014
    ***TW***
    1/14 - 2/17 - BFN's
    Rx: Unexplained infertility - All tests normal and/or good
    3/17: IUI #1 - BFP   EDD: 12/7/17

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"