Baby Names

Which girl name do you like better? Down to 2

CherylwangCherylwang member
edited April 2014 in Baby Names
We have a hard time picking out names. My husband says no to just about everything. We had pretty much agreed on Sophia planning on calling her Sophie. When people ask I tell them that we are pretty sure her name will be Sophie. Some people started calling her that. I'm 34 weeks. I struggle with the popularity factor of Sophia/Sophie. I like the idea of naming the baby after someone. My dd is Chloe Florence My son is John Robert (Johnny) so the middle names we have picked out are after family members.
Anyway we recently have explored some other names and came up with Ruby. I don't know if we should wait until the baby is born? Long story but just looking for everyone's opinions! Thanks ladies!

Which girl name do you like better? Down to 2 198 votes

Sophia Mary
31% 63 votes
Ruby Ann
68% 135 votes

Re: Which girl name do you like better? Down to 2

• Ruby Ann is great!
  • NerdyLucyNerdyLucy member
    edited April 2014
    I'd probably take both names to the birth, and then commit.

Popularity aside, I think Sophia is gorgeous. I understand why it's used to much.

Ruby is spunkier, in my opinion, but less pretty.  I like both.  

In terms of fn-mn combos, I think I'll vote Sophia Mary because I prefer it as a whole more than Ruby Ann.  I love that you're using family names as mn, but Ruby Ann isn't my favorite together. 

It really just comes down to what you both like the most, and if it's a true tie, whether or not popularity matters to you.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Jags8Jags8 member
    I love Ruby! Though Sophia is nice too.
  • Love Ruby Ann. Sophia is pretty too but so overused.
  • I have only met 2 Ruby's in my life. One in high school (she was beautiful) and the other is my Grandmother! I say go for Ruby!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Ruby, no question.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I adore the name Ruby!  I only like the name Sophia.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • I love reading everyone's opinions!
  • KTZ17KTZ17 member
    I think both are great, but if you're going to call her Sophie, why not name her Sophie? It's a real name and I think it pairs well with Chloe. They both sound French to me. I also think that eliminates the popularity issue with Sophia. I also like Ruby, but if you love Sophie, go with it!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • I love both names. Really, you can't go wrong. I have a soft spot for Ruby, though.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• 1A1A member
    Both are beautiful. I think I prefer Sophia Ann. Sophia Mary doesn't flow well to me.

But Ruby is a gorgeous name too
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love Sophia, i think it is delicate and and feminine. It is also very italian to me which makes it a plus. I do not however like sohie at all. 
  • Though I like both, I prefer Sophia. It's just prettier sounding to me.  I also don't care about popularity.
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • KTZ17 said:
    I think both are great, but if you're going to call her Sophie, why not name her Sophie? It's a real name and I think it pairs well with Chloe. They both sound French to me. I also think that eliminates the popularity issue with Sophia. I also like Ruby, but if you love Sophie, go with it!
    I agree. I think you should name her Sophie since that's what you're going to call her anyway. I like Sophia, I just don't think Sophia Mary goes well together. Maybe Sophie Ann? I voted for Ruby but I like Sophie way better. I actually would love to name a daughter Sophie but DH's not a fan :/
    Daisypath - (fpox)Lilypie - (cr8G)  Lilypie - (jTpT)Lilypie - (LZoT)
    Started Dating DH 09/03/2009 Married 07/01/2011 
    Surprise BFP 10/18/2008 EDD 06/19/2009 DS #1 Born 06/16/2009
    TTC #2 12/2010 BFP 05/15/2011 EDD 01/09/2012 DS #2 Born 01/11/2012
    DH adopted DS #1 06/25/2012
    TTC #3 06/2013 BFP 02/19/2014 EDD 10/30/2014 DS #3 Born 10/10/2014

• I am in love with the name Ruby. If I didn't already have my Violet, this girl might have been a Ruby. That said, Sophia is pretty too. But not nearly as special as Ruby!
  • I like Ruby AND Sophia. But I voted Ruby Ann because Sophia Mary sounds SUPER awkward, my toungue hurts just saying it. I could get behind Sophia Marie, but not Sophia Mary, I don't like it at all. Ruby Ann (as a total package) is much better.
  • I love Sophia! I have a bad association with Ruby.
    ~Married 12.09.12~
    ~NTNP #1 since 11.14 - Current Cycle: 2~
    imageimage

• I love the name Sophia but I wouldn't use it because I know way too many kids with that name.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I voted for Ruby. I had a camper by that name last year, and she was always running off. RU-BEE was fun to call out all the time. It had such satisfying mouthfeel. 

As for naming her Sophie instead of Sophia- I actually know a Sophie who told me she was bummed that she wasn't Sophia. Give her the choice to have a grown-up name. 
    That's what I was kind of thinking. Naming her Sophia and calling her Sophie she could always decide she wants to be Sophia when she's older if she wants. If it's too popular in grammar school she would be able to be Sophie instead of Sophia W.
    I think Ruby is sweet and not too common. Don't know why this is so hard!

• Both of these are on my list! Love them.  I won't do Sophia though bc of how popular it is. 
    ***SIGGY WARNING***

DX: Unexplained
    6 Failed IUIs (Clomid and Gonal F).  
    IVF #1 began August 2013- BC, 4 days of Estrace, stimmed with Gonal F and Menopur, Ganirelix, 9R 5M 5F, Medrol and Doxycycline, 5 day transfer of 2 early blastocysts- good quality, Progesterone, Estrace, and baby aspirin, BETA on 9/20 BFN,   IVF #2 began September 2013, stimming with Gonal F (higher dose) and Menopur, Ganirelix, 18R 14M 9F with ICSI, 5 day transfer of 2 BBs one was starting to hatch, 2 frosties: 1  BB and 1 AC, BETA on 10/21, BFN BETA was a 5- chemical 
    Getting some more testing and trying to figure out what the issue is before FET in December, started acupuncture on 11/10, RLP and some other BW nothing major to report except slightly high Prolactin. Prolactin was slightly high when I started with my RE and I already had an MRI which was Neg.  Endo biopsy=negative.  WTF is wrong with us???
    12/18/13 FET of 1 BB and 1 AC.  Hoping for a miracle.  Beta 12/26 Low BETA-8 2nd BETA 5- chemical
    After 3 failed transfers IDK where to go from here.  Still no real answers as to why this isn't working.  Getting a second opinion in February and looking into immune testing.  
    2/14- NEW RE- Immune testing showed a partial dq alpha match with DH- On prednisone and did intralipids prior to transfer.  3/14 Lupron, gonal f, menopur, HGH.  ER 15 mature all 15 fertilized!  5dt of an early blast grade 1 and an expanded blast grade 2.  BETA on 4/21.  1 grade 2 embryo frozen
    BETA #1 59 BETA #2 148 BETA #3 283 BETA #4 2,783! US at 6w2d shows 1 bean measuring right on track! HR 121.  US at 8w3d measuring on track HR 177. Released form my RE.  EDD 12/28

All Welcome
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"