April 2014 Moms

Circumcision Poll (not debate)

fireflygirl12fireflygirl12 member
edited April 2014 in April 2014 Moms
How many people actually chose to circumcise vs. not? Statistics show a pretty big decrease in the number of circumcisions, but an overwhelming majority of my other BMB did circumcise, so curious to see what the stats are for A14.

Circumcision Poll (not debate) 392 votes

We circumcised
48% 189 votes
We did not circumcise
20% 81 votes
Inside baby, but plan to circumcise
7% 28 votes
Inside baby, plan not to circumcise
2% 9 votes
Had/having a girl
18% 73 votes
SS
3% 12 votes

Re: Circumcision Poll (not debate)

• We planned to, but were unable to do it in the hospital because he has hydroceles (fluid trapped in his scrotum).  So now we're waiting for the hydroceles to resolve, and if they don't then at 6 months we take him to a urologist, at which point the urologist will do the circumcision.   

So we still want to, but I kind of feel like the longer we wait the less likely it is to happen.   I'm kind of upset that we weren't able to do it in the hospital.  I mean, the pedi would have done it, but said that we might not get as good of a result because of the swelling, so of course we decided to wait.  
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree it seems to vary by region. We're in CO and everyone I know with a son has had him circ'd.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Loading the player...
  • I answered for kiddo, who is circumcised. I'd say probably 80% of my friends choose to circ as well.
  • I've noticed it's really regional too. When I had my first son we said once that we weren't circumcising and that was it. We've moved since then and when I had DS2 we were asked multiple times if we needed to schedule the circumsion. It was almost like they thought it was forgotten. That said, regional or not, I've never felt judged in either place.

DS1:5/2011; DS2 arriving 4/2014

• Avion22 said:

We planned to, but were unable to do it in the hospital because he has hydroceles (fluid trapped in his scrotum).  So now we're waiting for the hydroceles to resolve, and if they don't then at 6 months we take him to a urologist, at which point the urologist will do the circumcision.   

So we still want to, but I kind of feel like the longer we wait the less likely it is to happen.   I'm kind of upset that we weren't able to do it in the hospital.  I mean, the pedi would have done it, but said that we might not get as good of a result because of the swelling, so of course we decided to wait.  
    The pedi didn't take enough off when DS had it done at 24 hrs, so he has to have it revised by a urologist. They won't do it until at least a year old because of the anesthesia.
  • I sat on the fence and DH was firmly in the "yes" camp. We did circumcise. 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We did it at the pedis office at his two week check, which is standard practice here (not even offered at the hospital). DH watched!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't want to and DH did. Ultimately I let him decide since I make most of the parenting decisions and it was his one request. We live in the Midwest and it's overwhelmingly popular here to circ so I just gave in.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• It's not common in my area at all. The last stats I saw for my province gave the circ rate at lower than 10%.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • We circumcised. OB on call did it when he was 16 hours old. It was never a question. Where I live, everyone I know with a boy does it.

• I think it also depends on which crowd you run around with. I'm in the Midwest, but a fairly crunchy-granola area, an I'd say circumcision is about 50/50 with people I know. We didn't circ our two boys.

• We didn't. I have no idea how predominant it is here and I don't care.

Same for us.
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • AndrewsgalAndrewsgal member
    edited April 2014
    We didn't. I have no idea how predominant it is here and I don't care.

This! It didn't matter to me what other people do, I did what was best for my sons and that was not circing. The circ rate is 50% in the US. I don't think you see a higher concentration on the bump.
  • We planned on it but since he was almost 4 weeks early one of his little balls didn't drop yet sooo we have to go to the urologist soon I'm dreading it.
  • We didn't. Not sure rates here, but we're moving to the bay area in a year where its less common than here, I'm sure.
    TTC #1 since August 2012 |  BFP August 17th, 2013  |    EDD April 25th, 2014
    Living with Vestibulodynia (Chronic pelvic pain)

• We are in the Midwest and chose not to circumcise. Got a ton of shit from our families for that decision, but they already kind of judge for our lack of religion (aka no baptism in sight), getting pregnant two months before the wedding, moving in together before getting engaged, etc. I just figure it's another "test" of parenting. My son's penis is no one's business but our own, and eventually, just him. We've had a lot of unsolicited questions about it, it makes me kind of sad that this is the second question I'm asked right after "why didn't you have a natural birth". Apparently, the rudeness doesn't end when you stop being pregnant--it just doesn't come along with belly pats anymore.
  • We didn't, but the hospital seemed to be pressuring us to do it.

• Stace0616 said:
    We are in the Midwest and chose not to circumcise. Got a ton of shit from our families for that decision, but they already kind of judge for our lack of religion (aka no baptism in sight), getting pregnant two months before the wedding, moving in together before getting engaged, etc. I just figure it's another "test" of parenting. My son's penis is no one's business but our own, and eventually, just him. We've had a lot of unsolicited questions about it, it makes me kind of sad that this is the second question I'm asked right after "why didn't you have a natural birth". Apparently, the rudeness doesn't end when you stop being pregnant--it just doesn't come along with belly pats anymore.

Yeah, my mom said something to me like "I assume you got him circumcised..." Um, WHAT? Not sure why she would "assume" that. I mean, he's, it was our plan to circ, but why would she "assume" that?
    imageDSC_9275  image

• We did not circumcise. I know it is a little differ here in Canada though
    as the rates are declining and the paediatric society advises against. I researched it extensively throughout my pregnancy before we made a decision. Only 32% of parents chose to circumcise in Canada last year. Many hospitals (all of them here in my city) and many doctors (again almost all in my city) will not perform circumcisions. It was a tough choice for sure.
  • We did not. My older son was circed and the doctor who did it, all but butchered his part and left him deformed. I did not want to risk the same thing happening to this baby.

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • ricekezricekez member

We didn't with either of our boys.  The hospital asked a thousand times, so we assume it is the norm here, but frankly- I don't care what anyone else is doing, these are my kids.  When my ODS was born the first thing my BIL asked was "so you had him cut, right?"  And then went off on my DH about how he's going to be the laughing stock of the school when he gets to high school.  My theory is any teenage boy who is that concerned with whether his peers are cut or intact during gym class has some personal issues of his own to work out. 

Yeah, I've always found that locker-room argument kind of silly. I asked DH if men actually looked at or cared about other's privates, and he guaranteed me that even in HS, boys/men don't care. Plus with circumcision no where near universal, no one will be that unique.

• ksulliksulli member
    The only people that I've asked about their sons is dh's BFF because they have two boys and tend to over-research everything child related, so we wanted their thoughts on the issue since we were team greening, and hold different views, so theirs would be a 3rd opinion to help break the tie.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • We circumcised
    Was done at the hospital most people I know with boys have it done ( near Toronto Canada )
    FTM to Drake born 04/19/2014
    8 lbs 7.6 oz 21 Inches

• AA1987AA1987 member
    I'm in favor of circumcision. Lots of medical evidence proving health benefits, improves hygiene. I've dated circumcised guys and cannot figure out why anyone would have a need for a foreskin. My current partner is uncircumcised (my first experience) and again I cannot figure why anyone would want or need to have a foreskin.
  • ricekez said:

We didn't with either of our boys.  The hospital asked a thousand times, so we assume it is the norm here, but frankly- I don't care what anyone else is doing, these are my kids.  When my ODS was born the first thing my BIL asked was "so you had him cut, right?"  And then went off on my DH about how he's going to be the laughing stock of the school when he gets to high school.  My theory is any teenage boy who is that concerned with whether his peers are cut or intact during gym class has some personal issues of his own to work out. 

Yeah, I've always found that locker-room argument kind of silly. I asked DH if men actually looked at or cared about other's privates, and he guaranteed me that even in HS, boys/men don't care. Plus with circumcision no where near universal, no one will be that unique.
    This always killed me too. DH said no 16 year old is going to admit to checking out another guys penis.
    In my high school, the boys made fun of a guy in my class for being uncircumcised....

I'm sure he wasn't the only one, but still it does/did happen
  • DH is not Circ'd but said he thinks he would prefer it and now is too scared to have it done as an adult. If we ever have a boy we will circ.
    Funny story, he told his mother we planned on it if we had a boy (team green) and she had a meltdown at the hospital because she said we would traumatize the baby.
    I agree with what others are saying, it's nobodies business to begin with. It's a personal decision made by mom and dad.
    YCSWU
  • AA1987AA1987 member
    We evolve. We are still born with wisdom teeth and appendix's. I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm just saying.. I really can't see what it is there for and a penis works easier without it in my opinion :)
  • Not common in the uk, LO is 2 weeks old and the first mention of curcumsition has been here on the bump
  • We did not. I assume it's pretty common here in good ol' conservative Dallas. Interestingly, we were asked by just about every nurse we saw in the hospital but 75% of them were super gung-ho "good for you!" when we told them we were not. We never felt judged in the least.
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • AA1987 said:

We evolve. We are still born with wisdom teeth and appendix's.

This is such an incongruous sequence of statements... I can't.
    Seriously! Logic fail.

Also...a penis works "easier" circumcised?! Do enlighten us.

DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"