Baby Names

Name help and opinions!

jmc377jmc377 member
edited April 2014 in Baby Names
Hello, 

My DH and I are due in September and having a bit of struggle on the name game. We  like classics that are making a resurgence or a modern spin on a classic, but our family sees a lot of these as trendy/hipster. Would love to hear reactions to our short list and any suggestions for similar. We aren't finding out the sex, so it will be a surprise. Our last name is Crane.

Boys:
Declan, Finn, Alden, Dashiell, Mason, Dexter, Luke
(Riley and Leo are family names which will be used as MN)

Girls:
Piper, Pippa, Everly, Luca, Hannah, Olivia, Arden 
(Manon and Claire family names which we'll likely use as MN)

We tend to like names that are similar: Dexter/Declan, Luke/Luca, Piper/Pippa, Arden/Alden

Thanks everyone :)

Re: Name help and opinions!

• I am swooning over Alden Riley!

I like Arden for a girl but don't love it with Manon (French with a soft ending? Or pronounced man-on?)

Suggestions- Dean, Miles, Arlo, Bram

Daphne, Iris, Isla, Olivie, Thalia, Freya
    Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• I agree with your family. Most of these are not classic names making a resurgence — most have never been in the top 1,000 names in the US going back to 1880, except in the last few years, and some are straight up neologisms. They are trendy names that lean toward hipster. 

Not that there's anything wrong with that! I love me a hipster name. But your family is right.

I'd use Declan Riley and Olivia Manon. 

I think both Arden and Manon are lovely independently, but I wouldn't pair them. Arden Manon looks vaguely vulgar.

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you for the feedback! Perhaps they are less classic, and I'm seeing them more as strong & solid. 

Edited my original post to include our alternate middle name Claire, which we'll use for a girl should it not go with the chosen FN.
  • I love all of your names. My favorites are Finn, Pippa and Arden.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• jmc377jmc377 member
    Thanks for the feedback! I like a lot of your suggestions, especially Japser, Gareth and Poppy.
  • I like Alden Riley and if it's a choice I'd do Leo Alden.
    I also like Arden Claire
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"