March 2014 Moms

Wearing small baby

My dd is 1 month and weighs almost 7 lbs. I have the Infantino sash mei tai carrier. But it's starting weight is 8 lbs. I tried to put her in it to test it out and she loved it, however her little legs won't do the "frog leg" thing to prevent hip dysplasia. She's always curled up into a little bitty ball. Mothers of small babies or newborns, what carrier are you using and are their legs able to sit properly?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Wearing small baby

• I've been carrying zoey in my woven wrap since she we brought her home from the hospital at 4lb11oz. If wrapping isn't your thing, try something like a K'tan. With that kind of carrier they will sit in it and you don't have to worry about their leg position
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

TTC #1 since April 2011
    BFP #1 07.22.13 - EDD 03.24.13
    U/S #1 08.06.13 - HB 138!
    U/S #2 10.05.13 - It's a Girl!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies!
  • I did the froggy legs in the moby until very recently. (She is now 9 lbs 12 oz). I've just started keeping her legs out.

• We are waiting to use ours until she's bigger. She didn't seem comfortable curled up, unfortunately.
  • You can do legs in our legs out. It really depends on the baby. Have you tried to roll your MT up? or sintch it with a hair tie to make the seat smaller? 
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• THere is a way you can keep a baby froggy with a MT if you use a scarf and tie around yourselves... Let me see if I can find a video or photo. Sorry it took so long to replay I am finally at a PC! 
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Lydia was 5lbs at birth and she lived being carried in the Maya Wrap ( ring sling) and the Moby (which is a lot like a k'tan I think)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• PankersPankers member
    I'm struggling to get my LO in my mobywrap. She's also 7lbs. I have a short torso and big boobs, and I'm struggling to get her located right. She seems either too low and below my boobs or too high and the shoulder straps cover her face... @Nickiechan‌ if you have videos that would be great. I've looked on you tube but only find super cooperative babies and well practiced moms. I might be doing it too tight or too loose.

• I use my Moby and ring sling, Addie was 6.6 at birth, she's 8.10 now, I think I like my ring sling best for her size.

• KTdid81KTdid81 member
    We use our moby all the time with legs out. He will not do froggy and wants his legs out all the time.
    Married 4-26-2011  Me 31 DH 28  
    TTC since 12/2011  
    5/4/13-IUI #1=BFN,  6/3/13-IUI #2=BFN, 7/1/2013-IUI #3=BFP!!!
    Little Man arrived 3/28/14 at 10:32pm
    9 lb 1 oz & 21 3/4 inches

• Pankers said:
    I'm struggling to get my LO in my mobywrap. She's also 7lbs. I have a short torso and big boobs, and I'm struggling to get her located right. She seems either too low and below my boobs or too high and the shoulder straps cover her face... @Nickiechan‌ if you have videos that would be great. I've looked on you tube but only find super cooperative babies and well practiced moms. I might be doing it too tight or too loose.
    Here is a good one.
    Nickie

• I love the wrap that I have and I finally got the hang of wrapping it tightly enough that she doesn't shift and slide. She is around 8 pounds. Here we are at Home Depot today looking for flowers.
  • Thank you for that video @Nickiechan‌ . I will try this tomorrow.
  • MafernjMafernj member
    My kid is almost 11lbs at 5 weeks, I have the moby ( still trying to get the wrapping right) what's the best position to carry my baby? I have tried the one where she lays with her legs tucked in like in utero but I don't think he likes it. Any advice on what would be more comfty for her? TIA
  • @Mafernj‌, there is a similar position to the frog leg position but their legs are free. Do a search on YouTube for How to wrap a Moby and you'll get tons of results.
  • KTdid81KTdid81 member
    @Mafernj‌ - my LO is about 12 lbs and we do the front wrap cross carry the most because it's the easiest. There are tons of videos on YouTube of this carry and others.
    @Andreabills‌ - I thought that babies should be worn facing inward until they have better neck control and also because of overstimulation. Facing inward gives baby a place to escape from the stimulation if they want to nap. I know Moby has instructions for outward facing, but most babywearing groups advise not too, especially for such a small baby. - sorry, not trying to criticize.
    Married 4-26-2011  Me 31 DH 28  
    TTC since 12/2011  
    5/4/13-IUI #1=BFN,  6/3/13-IUI #2=BFN, 7/1/2013-IUI #3=BFP!!!
    Little Man arrived 3/28/14 at 10:32pm
    9 lb 1 oz & 21 3/4 inches

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"