Baby Names

Has this happened to any of you?

My fiance and I aren't expecting yet, but we've already got a couple of names we really adore for when we start TTC after our wedding next year. The names we've fallen in love with both have significant family ties (Charlie Millicent for a girl, and Declan Wallace for a boy), but I was wondering--have any of you ever had names picked out in advance, but then totally changed your mind after getting pregnant? Just curious to know how many people actually stick with the names they really liked pre-pregnancy! :)

Re: Has this happened to any of you?

• We had Xavier picked out when we were dating and 7 years later we stuck with it for our son. :) With our girl's name we had picked out Isabella Grace but changed it. So, I'd say it's 50/50.
  • This is my 3rd ( and last) baby and each time there has been a separate list for each child. The names we liked last time didn't carry over to the next pregnancy.
  • Loading the player...
  • We had Blythe (girl) and Baylor (boy) picked out before we started TTC (I was twenty when we chose them, my husband was twenty-five), and they stuck for two years. Both went out the window when I actually got pregnant, though, and we haven't considered them since. That was a little over fifteen years ago.
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • We originally loved the names Miles and Jasmine. We stuck with the boy name but our taste in girl names changed a lot.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• We have very strong contenders. I haven't had a baby to name yet, but at least the girl name will absolutely stick because it's for my grandmother. We have two boy name contenders and, because of naming traditions in his family, it will be one of those, but the middle name is not ironed out.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had my heart set on Tristan Michael for over a decade... once we got pregnant and found out it was a boy my DH vetoed it.  Apparently he didn't think it was "masculine" enough.  Up until that point he never said anything about having a problem with that name.   :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

May 14 November Siggy Challenge: Least Favorite Part of the Holiday Season

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks for the input, ladies! I *hope* we don't get tempted to change our minds, but who knows what will happen in the next year or so. 

And BKD, that's awful! :( Judging by your siggy, you've landed on the name Dagen though? I adore that! Especially with the middle name of Orion!
  • Thanks!!  I was pretty heartbroken... and yes I think (I hope) this is the name we've finally settled on.... it's literally the only thing we could agree on since I vetoed using DH's name and doing the Junior thing, LOL
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

May 14 November Siggy Challenge: Least Favorite Part of the Holiday Season

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Haha, I don't blame you!
  • DD was "for sure" Calista when we were TTC but as soon as I found out I was really having a girl I knew it was not right. 
    DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
  • Yes! Changed our minds 2/3 pregnancies!
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We picked Serena for a hypothetical daughter a year before we conceived one. She is Serena.
  • DH and I had always liked Wyatt for a boy, and then it's popularity skyrocketed and I lost interest. DH did not and was pretty bummed when I told him. Of course, we are having a girl so that name is moot now. (Or maybe I could start a new trend with Wyatt as a unisex name #-o )

For years, he has had his heart set on Reata (ree-ah-ta) for a girl, which I am not a fan of. Hate to break his heart again, but it's just not happening as a first name. And I am seriously questioning whether I can live with it as a middle name. But this one is very important to him, so...

One name we used to toy with when we were dating is Sheridan, for a girl. I thought that had passed for DH, but he resurrected it the other day and is now pushing for it. For me, I'm just not feeling the name anymore. I thought it was lovely in the beginning, but it just doesn't fit our style anymore. I feel like it was so long ago and it's just not the right name for out LO this time around.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Yes, this has happened. I was basically set on Dylan for a little boy for years before being married and TTC. DH was always on board too. Once we were pregnant, and making lists of names, it found it's way off the list. I still love the name and suggest it all the time, but it didn't feel right for my own DS when the time came to choose a name for him.

I love Declan Wallace btw!
  • Oh yes, a dozen times at least! I'm a constant mind-changer on baby names. A lot of my favorite baby names from my earlier years, I don't like at all anymore. We are currently TTC #2 and I'm still in love with my daughter's name so I must have done okay with that one ;)
  • Our girl name went out the window when I got pregnant due to a HUGE increase in popularity...
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Yes, I always loved the name Ella, since it was my grandmother's name, but then it got super popular so we crossed it off the list even before we TTC.  Once I finally got pregnant, we decided to not seriously discuss names until we knew what we were having.  

The main reason is that it's damn hard to name another human, so I didn't want to waste the effort of picking two names (because undoubtedly the one we didn't get to use this time around, we'd end up hating the next time). 
  • edited April 2014

I mean-- if you are talking about a fantasy list of names that you had before you were TTC-- then yes.  DD's name didn't even make an appearence on that list, though I do still like some of those names and might consider them in the future.

When you actually are pregnant though, a lot of the GP names (for me at least) went right out the window as there was now an actual living person that would have to wear the name forever.  I also thought about the fact that I would have to introduce them as a child, say the name constantly, think about the name, writh the name on forms... 

That part changed my opinions on some names I previously liked/ considered.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Before my first pregnancy, we were set on Carsten (family name) for a boy and Lila (also family name) for a girl. We ended up using our boy choice as a middle name instead. We have stuck with Lila and it is our choice for #3.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"