December 2013 Moms
Options

Another baby food question

penelopemariapenelopemaria member
edited April 2014 in December 2013 Moms
Our paed told us today to start cereal at 5.5 months. I was looking it up online and it appears there's 4 types: 
1. Rice with water
2. Rice with milk
3. Oat with milk
4. Oat with water

Any insight on what one is best, or which one we should try first? 

Also, how often do they eat the cereal? What do they drink? Still formula? 

TIA!

DS #1 born 12.3.13
BFP #2 09.21.14 EDD: 06.06.15

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Another baby food question

• Options
    These are the guidelines I was given. Hopefully, you can read that.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Your doctor didn't give you this information? My dr goes into it in great detail. Call them and have them send you guidelines. I mean, I can tell you what my dr says, but you probably want to hear it from your own pediatrician.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Make sure you use only formula or breast milk- no cows milk until they are at least one year old.
    We are starting with rice cereal then trying veggies. My pediatrician also said to try them one at a time for a few days in a row to make sure there are no allergies. And try them by color group (i.e. carrots and squash; then a few weeks later try green veggies)
  • Options
    SusanC111 said:
    Your doctor didn't give you this information? My dr goes into it in great detail. Call them and have them send you guidelines. I mean, I can tell you what my dr says, but you probably want to hear it from your own pediatrician.
    Nope, nothing. It was literally "you can start cereal at 5.5 months." It wasn't until I googled it did I discover there's more too it than just that.

DS #1 born 12.3.13

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    These are the guidelines I was given. Hopefully, you can read that.
    Thank you!

DS #1 born 12.3.13

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    SusanC111 said:
    Nope, nothing. It was literally "you can start cereal at 5.5 months." It wasn't until I googled it did I discover there's more too it than just that.
    that's so strange to me  . I only know of 3 kinds of baby cereal. I don't know those 4 you found online. My doctor says start with rice cereal mixed with formula or BM, for a week, then repeat with the multi grain, then repeat with the oatmeal. Then whichever he likes best, mix that cereal with fruit. DS1 never liked cereal so I only tried 2 kinds and then just did fruit without cereal. Introduce one food a week so you can watch for an allergic reaction. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"