Trying to Get Pregnant

Intro/ New OB questions

Hello There! I figured I would finally introduce myself and ask you all for some advice. DH and I have been married for nearly 7 months and are just about to throw away the BCP and actively start to TTC. Im awaiting results for one last blood test before we start and we also wanted to try and find an OB before we become pregnant (GYN's suggestion).

We have an appointment with a group of local midwives tomorrow night and I was hoping you could all give me some advice on how you you decided on you CNM or OB. Maybe what specific questions you might have asked. And if there is any type of red flag that might turn you away.

We are still trying to decide if we want to use a midwife or an OB. I LOVE my GYN but she no longer delivers babies. Shes a CNM, which does make me lean towards a midwife.

Thanks!

Re: Intro/ New OB questions

• Welcome!

Honestly, you can find one now, but most pregnancy related questions aren't something I'd worry about until I was actually pregnant. I refuse to worry about birth/pregnancy related things until I'm pregnant, that gives me at least 9 months to start making decisions. I wouldn't lock myself into any practice before I was even TTC. because you never know how long it will take or what complications might come up.

Unless you have a pre-existing condition diagnosed that requires follow-up, and would affect pregnancy early on, most pre-conception appointments are not worth the co-pay. Take pre-natals. Have sex. Temp and chart and give yourself the best chance you can. Call your doctor if you've been trying a year (6 months if under 35) with no results (yes, there are exceptions to this, but this is good general rule).

We'll have an OB because I'll probably deliver in a MTF, but they have midwives and doulas on staff and are a very mother and baby friendly hospital.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think she just wants me to find one so that im comfortable with an OB or Midwife already before I need them. I just took her advice and figured I would start looking lol. I thought the majority of people just used their normal OB/GYN and since that option is no longer available to me, she probably just wanted me to start looking while were trying to conceive.

When I called the midwives in our area they acted like this was completely normal. This is so new to me, I wouldnt even know what is normal and what isnt. lol

• Loading the player...
  • Welcome.  Who does your GYN recommend?  If you like her and she knows you, it seems like she would be the best source for a referral.   
  • YellowBag said:
    Welcome.  Who does your GYN recommend?  If you like her and she knows you, it seems like she would be the best source for a referral.   

I agree with this.

Welcome

DS - Born 6/17/12 

DS#2 - Due 2/11/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• YellowBag said:
    Welcome.  Who does your GYN recommend?  If you like her and she knows you, it seems like she would be the best source for a referral.   
    My GYN recommends someone who delivers at a hospital we are trying to avoid. DH and I would feel more comfortable with the other hospital due to some negative stories of the closer hospital. However, if we end up wanting to use an OB instead of a CNM, we might use her. My GYN gave me a list of names, im in the process of checking them out. One being the midewives we are checking out tomorrow night :).
  • If you are thinking cnm, I would try to find one before getting pregnant. They can usually do the normal things gynecologists can do usually, and their calendars and patient limits fill up pretty quickly. They would probably be more likely to make sure that they have space for you.

I would also visit OBs. Since you are looking into midwives, I'm assuming you want a natural birth. Make sure you aks the OBs how they feel about this--you wouldn't want any revelations when you are 32 weeks pregnant. Also, try asking your question on the Natural Birth board--those ladies have tons of experience with midwives, where my experience is only second hand. :-)
    BabyFruit Ticker    image

F15 December Siggy Challenge:
    Holiday Decorations Fail
  • If you are thinking cnm, I would try to find one before getting pregnant. They can usually do the normal things gynecologists can do usually, and their calendars and patient limits fill up pretty quickly. They would probably be more likely to make sure that they have space for you.

I would also visit OBs. Since you are looking into midwives, I'm assuming you want a natural birth. Make sure you aks the OBs how they feel about this--you wouldn't want any revelations when you are 32 weeks pregnant. Also, try asking your question on the Natural Birth board--those ladies have tons of experience with midwives, where my experience is only second hand. :-)

Thanks! We are definitely thinking a natural birth, hoping for a water birth :)
  • Many OBs will let you labor in the tubs (when they have them) but not birth, so I would definitely ask about that.
    BabyFruit Ticker    image

F15 December Siggy Challenge:
    Holiday Decorations Fail
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"