August 2013 Moms
Options

BLWieners. :)

I'm 14 years old inside and couldn't help myself, sorry.

On to my post:

We're doing a puree/BLW hybrid dealio with LO.  While he's being cared for by my family members he's given purees/yogurts/applesauce type stuff plus the occasional snack (puffs/mums/etc).

While at home we've been giving little man food BLW style.  My question is: what types of things are you giving your littles?  I'm scared that he's going to choke on stuff but he's been doing really well on chewing his food with his 6 little teeth.  He's cutting back on his bottles so I feel I really need to up his food intake.

So give me your BLW favorite go-to meals!

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
My baby is ONE!!

Re: BLWieners. :)

• Options
    She eats anything we are eating. Last night she ate a stuffed pepper. Sometimes I cut things into french fry shapes...other times bite size pieces. If it has something like black beans or peas I mash them a little with my fork so it isn't a choking hazzard. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    What PP said! Whatever we're eating. We had meatloaf, potatoes, and carrots last night. Little dude loved it. 

I just break/cut everything up small or mash it. 

I think his favorite meals have been chicken kabobs (no onion yet) with asparagus and rice and the meatloaf with potatoes and other veggies. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ^^ G loved meatloaf too!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    We're doing the same as you, but E still has no teeth, so I'm super scared of him choking. Breakfast I usually give him yogurt, then a banana and some toast, lunch is usually a puree and bites of what I'm having (yesterday he had a little bit of my hamburger and some fries) and same at dinner. He LOVES scrambled eggs, pickles, banana, grapes (cut up), red peppers, asparagus, and green beans. 
    Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • Options

We do a mix of what we eat and if I don't think it's good for him, then I just give him some plain veggies and/or meat.  We always have black beans, avacado, apple, bananas, and green beans on hand. For example,  I will put a chicken breast in the oven with some broth and garlic and mild seasoning, cook in at about 300 for an hour till it falls apart and give him that with his veggies if what we are having is not something I feel comfortable with.  You would be surprised at what they can eat at this stage.

Picture the Moment Photography: Liam &emdash; 938A7372-Edit       

• Options
    For breakfast we do either fruit oatmeal or mini pancakes with watermelon. Lunch today was the self steam cup of carrots (these are my favorite thing to give him) and dinner he gets whatever we eat in pea or marble size depending on their softness. Beanie weenies was a huge hit recently. I read that it Is mentally healthy and stimulating to have LO eating "with" you whenever possible. I know E enjoys being part of the dinner table and getting what's on our plate! Try not to stress to much about chocking, I was surprised with how effective his natural gag reflex was and how easy it is to sweep anything out that he needed help with. With 6 teeth he should be able to do a large variety for you. Good luck!!
  • Options
    I do a mix of purée/finger foods at every meal. I give the finger food first so she can work on that and I can eat. Then finish up with purée when I'm done eating. (This way I can enjoy warm food!)

Breakfast: oatmeal with mashed fruit in it plus a finger shaped fruit (usually some kind of melon). She loves to suck the juice from melons.

Lunch: a veg purée & some of whatever I'm having. Apples w/ PB, avocado, turkey, cheese, toast

Dinner: whatever we are having for dinner. We pretty much let her try it all. Meats, spaghetti, veggies, (squash/green beans/asparagus/broccoli/cauliflower/etc) potatoes, beans.
    Unless out meal is spicy she eats the same seasoning we do. I do try to limit white flour & potatoes. If we are eating something I feel like is too unhealthy I give a veg purée
  • Options
    LO eats what we eat more and more often... I have some frozen purees for when we eat something unhealthy or spicy. We now have to cut everything into bite size pieces because fry sized things he tries to shove all into his mouth and I dont want him choking.
    **July Siggy Challenge**

• Options
    She almost always eats what we eat, unless we're eating crap. Then she gets a healthier alternative. 

Today she had eggs over hard, hash browns, and blueberries for breakfast. Slow roasted pork shoulder, garlicky green beans, cheddar cheese, cucumber and a puffed wheat pop cake thing with peanut butter because that's what her sister was having so she had to have it too, for lunch. Dinner was a build your own chicken wrap bar, she had chicken slices, fresh mozzarella and avocado. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We haven't done purees in a while. We do spoon feed yogurt but that's it, honestly. Oh and steel cut oats.

Same as what everyone else has said - any and every fruit and veggie. Cheese, fish, meat.

I have not done eggs or PB yet but plan to soon. I want to do it with them first and since I work, I tend to try new stuff on weekends and the past couple have been really busy and/or we didn't have any.

I've gotten everyone / family on board. I know it freaks my mom and MIL out but they've seen how well they do and are surprised in a good way.

• Options
    Little man hates purées, so we do BLE by default. We do a lot of softer fruits (blueberries, banana, watermelon) and steamed veggies. I usually cut food into bite sized pieces. He lives meats and chicken too. He does not have any teeth yet, but I don't worry too much- he chews pretty well with his gums.
  • Options
    Those of you who do oatmeal, do you use just normal oatmeal or the Gerber or some other baby specific oatmeal?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
  • Options
    Also, I will often make huge batches of things and divide it up into individual meals and freeze it so if I happen to be eating something baby-unfriendly he has something tastey :)

• Options
    Those of you who do oatmeal, do you use just normal oatmeal or the Gerber or some other baby specific oatmeal?
    I was doing steel cut oats in the food processor, but I was having issues w/ getting them not to clump, so I've been using Earth Baby organic whole grain oatmeal. 
    Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • Options
    We were visiting my parents last week, and they hadn't seen LO since she was about 4-5 months. They also had never seen BLW. Every baby they'd ever seen was spoon fed until 8-9 months, and then only eating things like wafers and Cheerios independently. They were amazed at 1) how well LO could eat (although they were terrified she was going to choke and kept trying to "help" her) and 2) how good she is at using her hands. Any of you feel like BLW is helping your LO develop their hand-eye coordination more quickly? I think it's a good motivator.
    ABSOLUTELY! His hand-eye coordination is great and I attribute it to him picking up food and feeding himself. It's awesome to watch him learn. :) We started with purees when we first started feeding him and I went and bought some puffs for him to try. We kept him on those for about a week and then I was very adamant about him trying other foods he could pick up and DH just went along with it. Since  then he's been AMAZING! Everyone who sees him eat is so amazed at how he just feeds himself and how happy he is doing it. My mom was very upset when I told her he was eating things. She kept telling me he was going to choke. I stopped talking to her about it and once she saw it she stopped saying that because he does so good. 

• Options
    I would love to try blw so bad but cannot get over the choking thing. A whole ago I was shopping with c and she was gumming on some baby graham crackers and she started choking. She had had them before and was doing fine with them. But there was like a good 5-10 second period where she couldn't breathe...it was terrifying. I think I'll do purées until she's 3 lol.

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • Options
    I can't get DD to enjoy anything other than puffs, yogurt drops, teething wafers and Cheerios when it comes to feeding herself! Actually o lie...she was nomming on some cantaloupe the other day.
  • Options
    caper18caper18 member
    edited April 2014
    We started with purees but she wanted to feed herself and kept grabbing for the spoon so we tried BLW. I was terrified if the choking too but just sat and watched her very closely and she gagged lots of times but never had a choking episode. My parents also had a very hard time with it! Like other PP she just eats what we're eating and gets mad if we don't actually share with her- it has to come from our plates. So now even if she's getting something different than our meal I put it on my plate and give her portions at a time.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @caper18 sharing from my actual plate (no matter what it is) may help!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I would love to try blw so bad but cannot get over the choking thing. A whole ago I was shopping with c and she was gumming on some baby graham crackers and she started choking. She had had them before and was doing fine with them. But there was like a good 5-10 second period where she couldn't breathe...it was terrifying. I think I'll do purées until she's 3 lol.
    I'm not going to lie... it's scary sometimes! He's only had two bad scares and it was when we first started and once this past weekend. The first time was literally the first time he tried puffs. He didn't know what to do or something. He worked it out. This past weekend I gave him a Ella's Kitchen cookie and he bit too much off and inhaled it. I freaked out but by the time I was helping him he had gotten it out himself. I am aware of it, sit right next to him, and know what to do if he chokes. Doesn't really make it any easier except for the fact of how happy he is when he's feeding himself. :)  

• Options
    LO hates purees too. We're needing to get more iron in him so I'm still trying in vein to get the fortified cereal to taste good.
    This morning I turned the cereal into pancakes and added blueberries. He was psyched! But still is eating so little real good I'm worried about his next iron check in a month.

What this whole process is teaching me really is how screwed up my own eating is. I try to eat so healthy and then just zero in on a few things that I get paralyzed to feed him foods that I've labeled as unhealthy for me. Definitely have to get past that ASAP.

• Options
    MagPie 1986MagPie 1986 member
    edited April 2014

I'm not going to lie... it's scary sometimes! He's only had two bad scares and it was when we first started and once this past weekend. The first time was literally the first time he tried puffs. He didn't know what to do or something. He worked it out. This past weekend I gave him a Ella's Kitchen cookie and he bit too much off and inhaled it. I freaked out but by the time I was helping him he had gotten it out himself. I am aware of it, sit right next to him, and know what to do if he chokes. Doesn't really make it any easier except for the fact of how happy he is when he's feeding himself. :)  

How do u make sure he doesn't over stuff his mouth? I think that's what she did.

Edited for clarity

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • Options
    How do u make sure he doesn't over stuff his mouth? I think that's what she did. Edited for clarity
    He loves to hold whatever it is he's eating so he's normally got two fist fulls. If he goes to put something in his mouth with stuff already in there, I normally put his hand down and tell him to "Chew, please" or "One at a time, please" and he'll wait a second. It kinda seems like he understands because he'll actually take a minute to finish what he's working on. It took us a while to get there though. Maybe just try and give her a piece at a time or a couple at a time while she gets used to it. I just limited what he had and added more when he was getting low and told him those things and it's gotten a lot better.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"