October 2014 Moms

Since we're talking about fears...

I'm not so much afraid of pregnancy or childbirth. It's parenting that I spend most of my time worrying about since it's outcome primarily depends on the choices that DH and I make as parents. Can anyone recommend parenting books that they found effective, mostly for newborns, infants, and toddlers? I don't think I'll have much time to read about it once the baby arrives and want to feel prepared! I've been watching Super Nanny, which helps because it's making me feel like even really dysfunctional situations can be corrected fairly easily.

Re: Since we're talking about fears...

• I like Happiest Baby on the Block. He also wrote another book called Happiest Toddler on the block that I just bought but have yet to dive into.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It all scares me! 

For reals, please keep the good book ideas coming!

I just am trying to focus on one thing at a time.  Today it is the sex reveal cupcake that I have to pick out.  Since I am letting MIL come to the A/S next Monday, I am letting my mom have her cupcake reveal moment that night at dinner.  Our own personal Cinco de Baby.

• I love the book "Attached at the Heart" and "Playful Parenting" ...they're more for the toddler-child-teen stages, though.

"The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears is a great resource (it's huge, so not for cover to cover reading) for everything infant parenting related.

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding had lots of info on infant parenting in general: sleep, teeth, growth, poop, development, solids, etc. :)
    imageimage
  • I already have The Happiest Baby on the Block and look forward to reading it soon. @Emerald27 is the book by Dr. Sears more of a baby encyclopedia? I'm interested in getting something like that for when I have specific physical questions/want a more medical type reference.

Thanks for the recommendations and keep 'em coming!

• I read and found useful (and read some of it to my husband) "First Time Mom" by Dr. Kevin Lehman.  
    Bean - 02/19/12
    Burrito -  10/04/14
  • I loved Bringing Up Bebe.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • pushgal84 said:

I already have The Happiest Baby on the Block and look forward to reading it soon. @Emerald27 is the book by Dr. Sears more of a baby encyclopedia? I'm interested in getting something like that for when I have specific physical questions/want a more medical type reference.

Thanks for the recommendations and keep 'em coming!

It is! And it's a really great book. I love Dr. Sears' books, and I've used "The Baby Book" a bunch.

I also recommend Dr. Sears' "Nighttime Parenting" for sleep info, and "The Attachment Parenting Book."
    imageimage
  • I found both the infant and toddler "happiest on the blocks book" really helpful. My husband and I are also both fans of books by Dr. Leonard Sax (Boys Adrift, Girls on the Edge, Why Gender Matters); we found them to ring true with experiences we had growing up. DS is only three...so we'll see how it applies. We also really like and mean to read more of dr. David Walsh. So far I've read Smart Parenting, Smarter Kids....some really neat brain development stuff.
  • edited April 2014
    Thanks for this thread!  I definitely need to get my hands on the books recommended here.

I recommend The Joy of Parenting.  It's a parenting book written from the theoretical approach my psychologist husband has been trained in.  The approach is called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT).  I don't know how to pitch it without making it sound all hippy-dippy but it's one of the most empirically-based models out there--built from the science up as opposed to more traditional models which try to fill in the science later.  At its core ACT is about a willingness to experience unwanted emotions and experiences while living a full and meaningful life pursuing your values (whatever they may be--family, friends, health, etc).  It's about being mindful and appreciating life even when you feel stressed or miserable or angry.

The book provides a good introduction to ACT and then goes on to apply them to various parenting situations.  (If you want a more general introduction to ACT I would recommend The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris.)

Here's the description of The Joy of Parenting from Amazon:

Parents are supposed to be at their best when their children are at their worst. The only problem is that parents are people, too, and are susceptible to knee-jerk reactions, anger, and fears that make perfect parenting nearly impossible. But it is possible to keep your long-term parenting goals in mind, give yourself credit for what you're doing right, and most importantly, enjoy the rewards and joy of raising a child.

The Joy of Parenting is a compassionate guide for parents who sometimes feel overwhelmed—that is, all parents. The acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) skills in this book will help you develop the flexibility and mindfulness to help your child make critical transitions and gracefully move past the bumps along the way.

This guide offers practical skills-based exercises to help you:

• Handle tantrums and defiance with grace
    • Refocus on big-picture values when you feel overwhelmed
    • Act compassionately toward yourself when you make mistakes
    • Adjust your parenting as your child works through typical developmental transitions
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • If you're a geek like me, you might check out a course from www.thegreatcourses.com called Scientific Secrets for Raising Kids Who Thrive.  He goes through what's actually supported by scientific literature, the quality of the evidence, etc.  It's like Emily Ostler's Expecting Better for parenting.
    Ahh that looks really cool!  I noticed it's actually cheaper (almost $100 less for video download) if you buy it is a set with "Neuroscience of Everyday Life."  Still kind of spendy but it looks like it could be worth it.  I will have to talk to my husband :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks again for the suggestions everyone! Looks like I'm going to have a busy summer reading by the pool :)

• I love Dr. Sears too. His whole series is good. When my son hit toddlerhood I got The Discipline Book from his series, which has a lot of level-headed, compassionate suggestions for dealing with some of the more challenging toddler behaviors.
    Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"