October 2014 Moms

I Know I'm Being Ridiculous, But....

I'll be 14 weeks tomorrow. I started at 115 lbs. I lost a few pounds because I was so sick in first tri. I probably got down to 110-111. I have no bump. If I "press" on my lower abdomen, I guess I feel something? It doesn't feel hard like a rock like what you all have described though. It feels more like..... a heating pad? Idk. I look at the size fruit that my baby should be and then look at myself and I'm like, "There's no way that is in there and hidden."

I just looked at pics of 14 week bumps on Google Images (after I saw a 17 week full out bump on another thread). A few are abnormally small, but most have an obvious bump at this point.

I've had a miscarriage - that wasn't discovered until I went to the doctor for the first appt in that pregnancy. My next appointment is on Thursday. These same feelings of paranoia crept in as I approached my 10-week appointment, too.

I'm just afraid this kid didn't get the nutrients and stuff he/she needed and that's why there has been no growth. I feel dumb... I don't even really know what I want from you ladies. lol Is anyone else dealing with a BARELY present -ump (can't even call it a full bump) down there??
IAmPregnant Ticker
Proud First-Time Mommy From Memphis, TN!
*My Favorite Thing To Do: Laugh Until I Cry*
I can't wait to meet my Kenyan-Bajan-American sweet pea.

Re: I Know I'm Being Ridiculous, But....

• You are fine. Weight has nothing to do with your bump.  Baby may be carrying back a little or just hiding in some space...don't worry.  I'm almost 16 weeks and have nothing to show for it yet either.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Sorry for your previous loss.  Every woman's body is different.  I have a bump only because I was overweight before I got pregnant.  115lbs. is on the smaller side so you may not have one for awhile.  Your body is big enough to hid a baby at 13 weeks even if you can't feel it.  At this point should just be rising above your pubic bone which is pretty low.  FX for a wonderful appointment on Thursday!
  • Loading the player...
  • Your baby is 3 1/2 inches long and weighs 1.5 oz.  It is really, really ok not to have a bump.  I know it is hard not to worry, but try to focus on good things about your pregnancy, maybe write the baby a letter or sing him/her a song and put your worries aside.
  • I'm 15weeks, not showing other than the food baby and still 2lbs under prepregnancy weight. Every body and every pregnancy is different.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
  • I was a size 10/12 when I got pregnant...and still am wearing those clothes at 17 weeks. I have maternity clothes and they make me look more pregnant b/c they round out my lumps...and are fun and strechy. I lost about 12lbs in first tri and finally stopped losing (but haven't gained yet) I think the baby just filled in the space of where my fat used to be, ha! I know what you mean though! I saw some 14 week bump pics with strech marks! My midwife also told me when she felt around that I have a thick muscle wall and am a FTM and probably wont show until month five. I do like sticking my gut out and pretending though.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

baby development

• I'm going on 15 weeks with #3 and don't have a bump yet. I didn't have a bump with #1 or #2 at this point yet, either. Everyone is so different, so try not to to worry-especially if your doc isn't worried. 
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    Married 8/09 to my love
    Our little shamrocks:
    M~4/11   W~12/12   E~due 10/14

• I'm really sorry for your loss.  I know it's hard but try not to worry!  It's totally normal and I think everyone tends to feel insecure with how much or how little they're showing at different points in pregnancy.  Body type and abdominal muscle tone can play into how early you show too.  

From your siggie, it looks like you're not quite 14 weeks so that will look a lot different from someone who is closer to 18 weeks.  I definitely was not showing at all at 14 weeks with my first pregnancy.  I have a very short torso to begin with, and now that my muscles are more easily stretched I showed a lot sooner this time.  That bump will be out there for all to see soon enough! :)
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • My best friend is really tiny and didn't start showing until almost 18 weeks... a few months later she gave birth to a beautiful healthy 9 lb (almost 10) baby boy!
  • vrj0522vrj0522 member
    edited April 2014
    I don't feel the hardness either. I also didn't start showing at all until 20 weeks and didn't really pop until 24 weeks with DS. I know it can be scary not to feel pregnant... I don't anymore... but the size of your bump is truly no indication of anything. Consider yourself lucky that you still have a flatter stomach and try to relax. 

Unless you are seeing indicators that something is wrong (like bleeding or having major cramping), it is okay to relax when you are this far along. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• jcsumm0 said:
    Your baby is 3 1/2 inches long and weighs 1.5 oz.  It is really, really ok not to have a bump.  I know it is hard not to worry, but try to focus on good things about your pregnancy, maybe write the baby a letter or sing him/her a song and put your worries aside.
    That's a really sweet idea. I think I'm going to write a letter. That instantly made me smile.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • linnae939 said:
     I do like sticking my gut out and pretending though.
    I've done this. lol :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Thanks ladies. I appreciated all of the comments. I'm going to write a letter and (try to) stop being paranoid. Y'all are awesome. :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • With my first pregnancy I didn't get a bump or even look remotely pregnant until about 6 months. My baby was perfectly healthy. This pregnancy I have lost 18 lbs and I am 16 weeks now and have only a bloat bump by the end of the day. Women carry babies differently.

BFP - 2/5/14
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm 14 weeks and no bump yet. I also have miscarriage in my history so I understand your concern.

Being first-time moms, it takes us a little longer to show because our stomach muscles have never been stretched out. Also, do you know if you have a retroverted uterus? I do, so I was also told it might take me longer to show because my ute is tilted back near my spine. It does push forward eventually, but I might be into the "20s" before a noticeable bump appears.
  • I'll be 18 weeks tomorrow, and I haven't gained any weight (not a humblebrag), and I have no bump. I can't feel anything if I'm standing up, but if I lie down on my back and feel around by my pubic bone, I can feel it. My OB said it's perfectly normal for some women to not show until they're 24 weeks. I haven't read any of the other responses, but it's totally normal to worry. I don't think you're being ridiculous at all. I want my bump too! We just have to be a little patient.
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • I had a lost before I understand your concern. I'm petite (4'10 94lbs). Try taking weekly pictures so you can see your progress. I looked at my 12 week pic(no bump) and at 17 weeks now, the bump is definitely there.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers                         

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm 14 weeks and no bump yet. I also have miscarriage in my history so I understand your concern.

Being first-time moms, it takes us a little longer to show because our stomach muscles have never been stretched out. Also, do you know if you have a retroverted uterus? I do, so I was also told it might take me longer to show because my ute is tilted back near my spine. It does push forward eventually, but I might be into the "20s" before a noticeable bump appears.
    Yes. I do have an inverted (retroverted?) uterus. I learned that with the first pregnancy. They didn't mention it this time. Good reminder. 20 weeks - grrrr!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • 2goingon32goingon3 member
    edited April 2014
    I know it's tough waiting a month between appointments after having a loss.....as sane as you try to be, I noticed the negative thoughts do creep in just before you go see the doc. Try your best not to let it get the best of you! As for the showing thing, I'm 14 weeks, on #3 and look like I could give birth next month. A co-worker is 16 weeks with #1, tiny as can be, and you would never know she was pregnant. People are so different!!! (Also, I was one of those 14 weekers with stretch marks with my first, so it's not such a bad thing to not balloon up!)
  • Everybody carries differently. With DS, I was huge. When I say huge, at 6 months I swear I looked full term. DS was healthy and was only 6 lbs 13 oz at birth. This time around I've been so sick that I lost 8 lbs, but am still showing already. I think I look bigger than 15 1/2 weeks and am carrying a lot lower than I did with DS.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• I completely understand your fear. I lost my first pregnancy at 16 weeks. Looking back there were signs from the beginning that something wasn't right. In every pregnancy since I have been afraid until after 16 weeks. It is perfectly ok to not have a bump at this point. It just means you have good ab muscles. :) In my 2nd pregnancy I didn't have any bump until about 5 months. In my 3rd I was 4 months. Some women's bodies just carry pregnancy different. We're here for you if you need anything. Big hugs!
  • I am sorry about your previous loss. 

And I totally understand your worry.  I was on the slim side to start (when I was pregnant with my first) and I wasn't showing at all until closer to 20 weeks.  And I lost about 10 pounds in the beginning.  But B was born completely healthy!  Pregnancy is such a mindf--- because it is so different for everyone. 
    image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"